Winter Sport - In Summer.

ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Ski Jumping Summer Grand Prix get underway this weekend in Wisla, Poland.

No live coverage on British Eurosport (surprise surprise) but live coverage on Eurosport Germany / Eurosport International from Friday evening 20:15 CET.

I guess therefore the event may be available to Eurosport Player subscribers in UK.

Comments

• howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »

No live coverage on British Eurosport (surprise surprise) but live coverage on Eurosport Germany / Eurosport International from Friday evening 20:15 CET.

I guess therefore the event may be available to Eurosport Player subscribers in UK.

Thanks for the heads-up, may look out for that. No "live" coverage you say - would there be highlights for normal Eurosport viewers?
  • ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up, may look out for that. No "live" coverage you say - would there be highlights for normal Eurosport viewers?

So far as I can see from the British Eurosport listings on the Sky EPG nothing in UK. Normally British Eurosport pick up coverage for the Hinterzarten leg of the tour. The link below gives you the full Summer GP schedule.

http://www.fis-ski.com/ski-jumping/events-and-places/calendar/month=8/index.html#view=dcm-calendar-grid&gender=

There is plenty of room within the British Eurosport weekday schedule for a 30 minute highlights package, but it seems as though the powers that be in Paris are of the opinion there isn't enough interest to cover Ski Jumping outside the main winter WC series.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is some coverage of Hinterzaten scheduled at 06:00 on Saturday 8th August. Summer ski jumping is actually not much different from winter jumping because in both cases the jumpers slide down special ceramic inruns, rather than actual ice. The landings are watered astroturf or very thick grass. The summer season continues till early October, so it's usually a good indicator of winter form.

There's also a summer biathlon World Championships at the end of August, based around roller skis, but it's a few years since Eurosport gave that any coverage. Unlike the ski jumping, not many of the big names participate.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No live coverage on British Eurosport (surprise surprise
    ) but live coverage on Eurosport Germany / Eurosport International from Friday evening 20:15 CET.

Can I ask you a serious question please ?

What would you expect them to drop for it ? Live cycling or Live Superbikes ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask you a serious question please ?

What would you expect them to drop for it ? Live cycling or Live Superbikes ?

By all means; and I'll give you a serious answer.

Friday 31.7.15

Eurosport 1: Diamond League Athletics (looks as though it's a repeat)
    Eurosport 2:Live Snooker - They often show that delayed / or as highlights

Saturday 01.8.15

Eurosport 1: Repeat of one / both of the cycling events, shown live earlier
    Eurosport 2: Repeat of MCE Superbikes + Live Snooker

Can't see any live sport competing on the Sky EPG, other than the snooker. The Skijumping is kicking off at 19:15 UK each evening, probably so that the broadcasters can find a slot for it.

However, understanding that winter sports aren't exactly top of the UK's "must view" list (especially in summer!), it would be quite reasonable to show highlights on a weekday evening, when they are generally short of live sport to show, and though I've haven't checked the listings I wouldn't mind guessing they haven't got anything live showing on Monday, or Tuesday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By all means; and I'll give you a serious answer.

Friday 31.7.15

Eurosport 1: Diamond League Athletics (looks as though it's a repeat)
    Eurosport 2:Live Snooker - They often show that delayed / or as highlights

Saturday 01.8.15

Eurosport 1: Repeat of one / both of the cycling events, shown live earlier
    Eurosport 2: Repeat of MCE Superbikes + Live Snooker

Can't see any live sport competing on the Sky EPG, other than the snooker. The Skijumping is kicking off at 19:15 UK each evening, probably so that the broadcasters can find a slot for it.

However, understanding that winter sports aren't exactly top of the UK's "must view" list (especially in summer!), it would be quite reasonable to show highlights on a weekday evening, when they are generally short of live sport to show, and though I've haven't checked the listings I wouldn't mind guessing they haven't got anything live showing on Monday, or Tuesday.

That's the thing, if it was winter it no doubt would be shown but in summer when so much other action around you can see why it's not given much priority.

Would it generate many viewers ? I'd be surprised. I love my winter sports but it doesn't interest me in the slightest in July
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bump for this, First summer ski jumping of the season 06:00 Saturday morning.
  • AnniedAnnied Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot on German Eurosport at the moment. I watch a lot of the ski jumping during the winter and really enjoy it, but somehow, for me, it's just not the same on grass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annied wrote: »
    There's a lot on German Eurosport at the moment. I watch a lot of the ski jumping during the winter and really enjoy it, but somehow, for me, it's just not the same on grass.

Agree, but I can't put my ginger on why! Last night's event was shaping up to be a competitive affair when dinner intervened. Highlights are on Eurosport in UK at 11:00BST, and I'm hoping I can catch up on the result then.

What is good about the Hinterzarten event is that the Eurosport commentators do get the chance to do fairly extensive interviews with some of the jumpers in the commentary box, which hardly ever happens in the main winter season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good result for Dawid Kubacki yesterday. Having won both the opening individual competitons of the Summer GP series It will be interesting to see if he can carry his summer form to the main winter season.

Poor results for Petr Prevc and Kamil Stoch - looked a bit rusty, and it will be interesting to see if their form picks up.

Possibly good news for British viewers, the next event, from Courcheval, is live on ESP2 this Friday at 18:00 according to the programme trailers, but doesn't figure in the schedule on their website - we'll have to keep tabs on that one. Hopefully a few more fans will turn up at the venue that the customary handful that they have got in previous years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Marinus Kraus competing? (He comes from a small village where I spend a lot of time, so I like to follow his progress.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annied wrote: »
    Is Marinus Kraus competing? (He comes from a small village where I spend a lot of time, so I like to follow his progress.)

He did, but a disappointing result, finishing 45th after the first round, so failed to qualify for the 2nd.

Like a few other big names, probably a bit off his game at the start of the season, but with the excellent performance of the rest of the team, especially Andreas Wank, who has struggled a bit overt the last couple of years, if he doesn't improve then he may find his place in the DSV team difficult to maintain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad Andreas Wank is doing better, he's had a poor couple of seasons.

I got the impression with Kraus that he felt a lot more pressure last season. In 2013/14 he was the new boy with nothing to lose and he was the one that set them up to win the Gold medal in the team event at the Winter Olympics. (The village was beside itself and his footprint is now embedded in cement alongside another local's Sebastian Schweinsteiger, in the village square.) Hopefully by the next winter season he'll have settled down a bit and can produce more consistency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday on British Eurosport, David Goldstrum was commentating on two events at the same time. On BE1 it was the World Slalom Canoe Champs and on 2 he was doing the Ski Jumping, which was a repeat. He does know his stuff that guy. Great on the Ski stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday on British Eurosport, David Goldstrum was commentating on two events at the same time. On BE1 it was the World Slalom Canoe Champs and on 2 he was doing the Ski Jumping, which was a repeat. He does know his stuff that guy. Great on the Ski stuff

Indeed, David Goldstron is probably one of the best commentators on UK TV, even if he does descend into "Coleman-Balls" occaisonally, and his mental maths sometimes fail when making those complicated wind / gate compensation calculations of the Ski Jumping!

The other standout for me is Patrick Winterton on the Biathlon and Nordic sports, again really knows his stuff, having been a former athlete - and certainly made Rob Walker sound fairly amateurish at the Sochi Olympics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the summer schedule in Europe, there are always a few events going on in the antipodes during the Summer. There are two Freestyle Ski World Cups scheduled for the end of August at Cadrona, New Zealand, one in halfpipe (23 Aug) and one in slopestyle (29 Aug).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, David Goldstron is probably one of the best commentators on UK TV, even if he does descend into "Coleman-Balls" occaisonally, and his mental maths sometimes fail when making those complicated wind / gate compensation calculations of the Ski Jumping!

The other standout for me is Patrick Winterton on the Biathlon and Nordic sports, again really knows his stuff, having been a former athlete - and certainly made Rob Walker sound fairly amateurish at the Sochi Olympics.

DG must be getting on a bit now though, he has been around years

Biathlon is my favourite of all the winter sports and yes Patrick, along with Mike Dixon, is excellent and helps make it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the summer schedule in Europe, there are always a few events going on in the antipodes during the Summer. There are two Freestyle Ski World Cups scheduled for the end of August at Cadrona, New Zealand, one in halfpipe (23 Aug) and one in slopestyle (29 Aug).

These are actually both ski and snowboarding World Cups - FIS-Ski.com very difficult to understand at the best of times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hadn't caught this bit of bad news from the biathlon world, but Darya Domracheva will be missing next season - she has been diagnosed with mononucleosis and has decided to skip the entire year.

http://www3.biathlonworld.com/en/press_releases.html/do/detail?presse=2556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hadn't caught this bit of bad news from the biathlon world, but Darya Domracheva will be missing next season - she has been diagnosed with mononucleosis and has decided to skip the entire year.

http://www3.biathlonworld.com/en/press_releases.html/do/detail?presse=2556

That's bad news, I hope it hasn't been pressure from the Bellorus federation for results that has brought on the illness.

Whatever, I imagine that one athlete hoping to benefit will be Kaisa Makarainen, but Darya's unfortunate illness will also make for a more competitive season 2015/2016.

Though I can't say I'm looking forward to an English winter, I am looking forward to the start of the World cup in November (sad or what!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cream is rising to the top as the summer GP season progresses, with Severin Freund winning both events, and Peter Prevc featuring in the top three.

I was working Friday evening so didn't catch the Courcheval event on British Eurosport, but then I couldn't find the promised coverage listed either. No sign of Einsiedeln being shown to a UK audience either, though it was shown as delayed / highlights on Eurosport Germany in the last couple of days and I caught it last evening.

Given some of the "niche" sports such as Worlds Strongest Man and reprises of other events, I still find it disappointing that there's no space with British Eurosport for at least a 30 minute highlights slot during the week for the Summer GP.

Next stop is Hakuba between 28-30.08.15. Will we see anything of it on British Eurosport? I guess that with the World Athletics going on in China, it would be unlikely - and quite right too really. The two events cannot be compared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Next stop is Hakuba between 28-30.08.15. Will we see anything of it on British Eurosport? I guess that with the World Athletics going on in China, it would be unlikely - and quite right too really. The two events cannot be compared.

British Eurosport do seem to be in a bit of spiral of endless repeats of athletics and cycling at the moment.

Anyway, nice clip here of James Woods down in New Zealand getting ready for the World Cups this weekend. They seem to have tons of snow, which they didn't get last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/33859759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have mentioned earlier, the European Ice Hockey season is getting started again, with the preliminary rounds of the Champions' Hockey League - British teams against the best Swedish, German, Swiss etc. Coverage on Premier Sports.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Streams from last weekend's Summer Biathlon World Championships are here.

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/ibu/index.html

James Woods won the first Ski Slopestyle World Cup of the season in New Zealand, Isabel Atkin 7th in the women's equivalent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/34082933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple more bits of off-season news. Kristian Bromley is retiring from competitive skeleton - will continue to be active as a sledge-maker and coach of course. Rose McGrandle is also retiring. Shelley Rudman will be taking another season out for maternity reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/34260915