Options

Summer Olympic sports thread

Comments

• Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good day for Britain in the World Rowing Championships - 2 gold and three silvers in the non-Olympic races.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rowing/34155431

We will have boats in 8 of the 14 Olympic class finals over the weekend - not quite as good as the London Olympics where we had 13/14.
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A full breakdown of qualification for the Olympic regatta (in each discipline) is available to read.

The figure of 8 does not include Grainger & Thornley in the women's double sculls (W2x), so there are 9 British crews in the Olympic-class A finals. Both eights are included, ergo the other 7 crews have already won berths.

2 crews will certainly have to wait until next year to pursue qualification* - our entry in the women's single sculls (W1x) was designated a spare (this was the only event without British representation in 2012), and the women's quadruple sculls crew (W4x) failed to make the A final, in which a top 5 finish (!) is required for qualification.

As things stand, GB can earn up to 12 berths in all from this WCh as 5 other crews would achieve qualification with the following results:

Men's coxed eight (M8+) - top 5 in the A final
    Women's coxed eight (W8+) - top 5 in the A final
    Men's single sculls (M1x) - top 3 in the B final
    Men's double sculls (M2x) - top 5 in the B final
    Lightweight men's coxless four (LM4-) - top 5 in the B final

[* There are a few more berths up for grabs in an Olympic qualification regatta scheduled for 22-25 May 2016]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an aside, I'm expecting another epic M8+ clash between GB and Germany, given how this season's battles (and the previous 2 WCh A finals) have panned out between them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is, I find rowing results with all these damned abbreviations all but incomprehensible to read, and I'm a fan. God knows how the casual viewer manages.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB rowing team looking in great shape for the olympics next year, with possible improvements to come in a couple of areas. Australia looking rather out of salts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about Australia - I tend to suffer cramps when I'm out of salts. :p That said, Crow is still a good bet to win the W1x title.

All in all, a pretty good day for GB after the following A final results:

Women's coxless pair (W2-) - Gold
    Men's coxless pair (M2-) - Silver
    Lightweight men's double sculls (LM2x) - Silver
    Lightweight women's double sculls (LW2x) - Silver
    Men's four (M4-) - Bronze
    Men's quadruple sculls (M4x) - Fourth

Glover & Stanning have been imperious over the last four years (they've won 28 consecutive races in that period) - we've not had such a dominant pair since Redgrave & Pinsent. Mind you, the Kiwi pair of Murray & Bond (surely the greatest ever pair now) have been even more dominant - in the last 7 years, they've won all 58 races as a pair!!

The only disappointing result for GB today (other than having no crew in the W4x A final) was no podium for the M4x crew, which very nearly won gold last year; their powerhouse (Cousins) has been affected by injury throughout the season. The M4- crew was somewhat weaker than last year's (those guys are in the title-favourite M8+ crew), but making the podium was an excellent result for them.

GB won 3 Olympic-class titles last year; that won't be replicated this year, which is a shame. In order to beat last year's total of 6 medals, we need 2 crews to make the podium - Grainger & Thornley might do so in the W2x, but that's a tough ask. 4 out of tomorrow's 7 A finals will lack British representation.

I expect New Zealand will finish this WCh as the top nation in terms of Olympic-class and overall titles won.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just realised I've done Swann a disservice - she was in the W2- with Glover throughout 2013 and in the 2014 ECh...strictly speaking, the 28-race victory streak doesn't apply to Stanning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All 3 British crews in the B finals have qualified for Rio. :) So far, 10 in all have qualified, and it's now up to both eights to make it 12 - the men should do so with ease; the women should (with less ease) as well, but their performances over the last two years have been circumspect at times.

World Rowing have their own Eurovision site, which has clips of the semis & A/B finals. The B finals are certainly worth watching (moreso than usual) with Olympic qualification on the line in most of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Americans maintain their unbeaten record in global championship W8+ finals - they won their tenth (!) title in a row. The Kiwis took silver (including yesterday's W2- silver medallists!) and Canada took bronze; GB finished in a creditable fourth place and will be in Rio.

Wow, that was an epic battle between Synek and Drysdale in the M1x!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great Britain win the M8+ AGAIN! :D They've won all 3 world titles in this Olympic cycle!

What a race - winning margin over Germany was only 18 hundredths! The Dutch pipped the Kiwis for bronze!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Britain win the M8+ AGAIN! :D They've won all 3 world titles in this Olympic cycle!

thats going to be a tasty race at the olympics next year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but that might depend on the M8+ being their priority men's boat in Olympic season. Admittedly last year's victorious crew wasn't the priority (the M4- was), but the margin of victory today (smaller than the margin in 2013, and even that was barely half a second!) produces a dilemma for the selectors:

Safer option - prioritise the M4-, they win and the M8+ medal
    Riskier option - prioritise the M8+, they win by a tight margin and the M4- may not medal at all

It was good to see the W2x involved in the action, although they did fade towards the end as expected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now the pre-Olympic WCh is finished, it appears that GB have topped the overall medal table, and their medal haul is outlined below - 15 in all; no other nation hit double figures. Olympic classes are in bold, Paralympic classes are in italics and the international classes are in a normal font; full names of all disciplines are shown on the World Rowing website.

5 Gold: W2- M8+ LTAMIX4+ M2+ LM2-
    9 (!) Silver: M2- LM2x LW2x ASM1x ASW1x TAMIX2X LW1x W4- LW4x
    1 Bronze: M4-

They won 6 Olympic-class medals (2G 3S 1B) - last year's haul was 3G 2S 1B. New Zealand remain the top nation in that regard, having won 7 medals (3G 3S 1B).

They won medals in all 4 Paralympic-class disciplines (1G 3S), which is better than 1G 1S from last year. Australia were victorious in 2 of them.

They won 5 international-class medals (2G 3S), which again is better than 1S 1B from last year. Not that the medallists will care too much - they want to be in Rio.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that we go for the Mens 8 next year as the top boat. It's the Blue Riband event so it would be great to win it again.

Overall decent results for GB but looking ahead to Rio I think they will probably be down slightly on the London tally. Glover & Stanning must be one of the hottest favourites for gold in the Whole of Team GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I hope that we go for the Mens 8 next year as the top boat. It's the Blue Riband event so it would be great to win it again.

Overall decent results for GB but looking ahead to Rio I think they will probably be down slightly on the London tally. Glover & Stanning must be one of the hottest favourites for gold in the Whole of Team GB.

To be expected really following a homes game, but I don't think we'll be down by much in the rowing certainly not in terms of total medals.

If I'm concerned about anything, it's the cycling, but I still think things will at least pick up there come next summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely missed the fact that there was another Triathlon World Series event this weekend, this time in Edmonton, Canada. No doubt it was on at a daft time. Good news was that Vicky Holland won the Women's race, with Non Stanford sixth in the absence of the leading American women. Neither Brownlee was competing, Tom Bishop was the top men's finisher in 11th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First group of British Sailors for Rio officially selected. Plenty of Olympic and World Championship medal winners amongst them.

http://www.teamgb.com/news/meet-the-team-sailing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/34172084
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First group of British Sailors for Rio officially selected. Plenty of Olympic and World Championship medal winners amongst them.

http://www.teamgb.com/news/meet-the-team-sailing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/34172084

Looks to be a strong group there.
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Looks to be a strong group there.

Very strong and what a replacement for Ben Ainslie, Giles Scott is, fantastic. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very strong and what a replacement for Ben Ainslie, Giles Scott is, fantastic. :)

yeah, thats what i thought! :)

although must say I will miss Ainslie being part of the squad, great man! My favourite moment from the whole of the last olympics was his hulk moment...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more bit of news from last week, Tim Kneale took silver in the Men's Double Trap at the Shooting World Championships, winning an Olympic quota place. We also took 2 gold in the men's and women's team trap, neither Olympic events

Two big events this weekend

Triathlon World Series Final in Chicago. Any top three finish by any Briton will guarantee a personal Olympic spot.

Unfortunately the injuries the Brownlees have suffered all season are going to put them out of contention for the Men's overall title, which will be between Javier Gomez and Manuel Mola, but Johnny Brownlee will be in action.

http://wts.triathlon.org/news/article/gomez_drives_for_five_titls_in_chicago

Gwen Jorgensen will surely take the women's title, but could on paper lose to the other Americans Katie Zaferes or Sarah True. British team will be at full strength, with Helen Jenkins, Non Stanford and Vicky Holland.

http://wts.triathlon.org/news/article/jorgensen_to_defend_world_title_on_home_soil

Live on both BBC Red Button and BT Sport

Friday 23:00 Women's Race
    Saturday 23:00 Men's Race.

Canoe Slalom World Championships from the London Olympic Course.

These started yesterday - all 6 British boats in action qualified from the heats to the semis.

http://www.teamgb.com/news/olympic24-stott-survives-injury-scare-to-keep-world-dream-alive

Semi-Finals and Finals are on Saturday and Sunday. For once BBC Red Button has got much better coverage than Eurosport. which won't be showing anything live because tennis and motorbikes. Red Button has full coverage of all semis and finals.

Saturday 09:50-12.20 - semis & 12:50-14:30 - finals
    Sunday 08:50-12:30 -semis & 13:30-16:00 - finals

Official timetable is here

http://london.worldchampionships.events.slalom.canoeicf.com/programme

Qualification runs are live now and tomorrow on Planet Canoe on YouTube, but will probably be geo-blocked at the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CanoeKayakTV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And another good day for GB's canoeists, once more all 6 through to Sunday's semi finals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jorgensen wins the Grand Final and successfully defends her world title - she has won all the WTS races she entered this season. The overall podium is the same as last year, though Hewitt and True have swapped positions.

Great news from a British perspective as well - Stanford and Holland finish 2nd & 3rd in the Grand Final, thereby claiming the two Olympic berths they earned in the Rio test event for themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news from a British perspective as well - Stanford and Holland finish 2nd & 3rd in the Grand Final, thereby claiming the two Olympic berths they earned in the Rio test event for themselves.

Excellent omen for Rio, there should be medals there if they can both stay fit. Stanford has had so many injuries, but I still think she can beat Jorgensen if she gets her tactics right - she was doing far too much work during the cycling phase yesterday.