2»

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I am going to try this when I get home today:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-windows_install/error-the-update-is-not-applicable-to-your/342136ba-1f64-42c4-a344-d7e7e33ea868?page=7&tm=1372271004177

==== FOUND A FIX ====

1. Place and rename the MSU file in an easily accessible place, e.g. C:\8preview\preview.msu

2. open command prompt in administrator mode.

3. Type: Expand –F:* c:\8preview\preview.msu C:\8preview\

4. Type: DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\8preview\Windows8-RT-KB2849636-x64.cab

Replace the "x64.cab" on the end of step 4 with -x86.cab" for 32-bit versions and "-arm.cab" for RT versions.

Your text will be corrupted in the Windows 8 store for the 8.1 download page on restart, but the Windows 8.1 preview should download once the servers become less overloaded.

DONE!

What if you brick it?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    What if you brick it?

I hope not, should not, it's what the MS installer is doing anyway. But there's an additional check if the installation language matches. As reported there are some funny texts when you force it, but the update goes on. Wish me luck :D BTW my pro refuses to be upgraded, too :rolleyes: Maybe I should try to download the German version, that's what the UI originally was!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, there's a simpler way. I did the following and downloading the preview now. Try this at your own risk: HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language and change the "InstallLanguage" string at the very bottom of the right pane to the value 0409 which is EN-US. You should have there 0809 which is EN-GB. Restart, check if it is still there, try to install again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Be careful
    Official statement from MS for Windows RT users

Please do not change your base language just to install the Preview. If you do this and then update to the preview version, you will permanently change your base language on these devices. This happens because we create a new restore image based on your selected 8.1 base language during install.

Also, as we noted on the download page, if you've installed a language pack on Windows RT, we ask you not to install Windows RT 8.1 Preview at this time. A fix will be available soon for updating through the store with a language pack installed, so please check back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too late, it's done. I do not really care about the base language. It was en-gb and it's en-us now. I can add language packs later. So far everything works fine only I will have to relearn how to customise the start screen, because it behaves bit differently now. Oh, the desktop has a start button :D And there's Outlook now, too.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Official statement from MS for Windows RT users

A region lock for services and maybe even pricing.
    Only on RT is rather strange
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or it could be it's not fully tested and they can say we have warned you. It's nice, the preview, but I am going to reset it back. There are some hiccups and glitches that make it annoying to use long time. The browser shows no visual feedback when going back so you don't know if it registered the tap, also when searching there's a lag as you type and the characters appear. And I got so used to how 8.0 works that it takes a bit time to adjust to the changes. Good old Windows 8 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Put the iso version on the surface pro and it runs a dream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OSX 10.8 dual boot on surface pro, nice
    Already seen that you can install mac osx on it, but dual install!

http://youtu.be/4520Ee7NDlc
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My dad wants one but he's now thinking of waiting until the Haswell ones come out in Europe - if they ever come out! He knows it runs Windows 8 but he doesn't mind that as he finds W8 ok on tablets.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    until the Haswell ones come out in Europe - if they ever come out!
    I somehow thought they were out and that Apple did not have more months of exclusivity.

It makes good sense though as people do buy Windows on price so better Intel profits are made this way.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    OSX 10.8 dual boot on surface pro, nice
    Already seen that you can install mac osx on it, but dual install!

http://youtu.be/4520Ee7NDlc

I saw that video. It's pretty clever. Only trouble is you might get a visit from the men in black turtlenecks if you do it :eek: What puzzles me is that you can legally run Windows on a Mac but you can't run Mac OS X on a PC.