Immigrants taking our council houses

Comments

• ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I think it's disgraceful that British people are being turfed out of their council/housing association properties which they've lived in for years due to this ridiculous bedroom tax only to make room for a family of immigrants who haven't paid a penny into our system.

How many British people have been turfed out of their council homes because they can't pay the bedroom tax?

How many immigrant families have been given the accommodation that's become available because the British have been "turfed out"?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Filthy immigrants, blah blah blah, rant rant rant. :yawn:

Daily Heil website is that way. Enjoy. --->

I don't believe the OP said anything about immigrants being "filthy".

But what she said was totally logical in terms of the overall housing shortage. Nobody can blame the immigrants for that, but it is unfair on everybody looking for property if you allow more and more people into the country, at a time of accommodation shortage.

Unless of course you have any solutions to hand, which you might want to relate.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    If they hadn't bought their houses where would all the ex-council tenants be living?

A lot of them are not living anymore. They died in the council house which they bought in the 80's and the houses got sold off and scooped up by private landlords who are now charging double the ammount for private renting so people who are in need of cheap social housing can't get them.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think immigrants should be given council housing unless they've lived and worked here for at least five years. I know its controversial but I wouldn't go and live in another country and expect to be housed by the state!

And I bet you wouldn't be either.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Why is it that when anyone mentions immigration on this forum they are bombarded with brain dead responses such as this? Those stats clearly illustrate that immigration is partly to blame for the current housing crisis. Do we not have a right to be concerned by this?

I admit that it was a lazy response. It was not much more than the original post deserved, though. ''IMMIGRANTS TAKING OUR COUNCIL HOUSES!'' What next - ''dey tek our jerrbs!'', South Park style?
    blueblade wrote: »
    I don't believe the OP said anything about immigrants being "filthy".

But what she said was totally logical in terms of the overall housing shortage. Nobody can blame the immigrants for that, but it is unfair on everybody looking for property if you allow more and more people into the country, at a time of accommodation shortage.

Unless of course you have any solutions to hand, which you might want to relate.

Re ''filthy'' - learn not to take things quite so literally.

As for the bit in bold... well, that's your particular bugbear, not mine. Seeing as you always have the answer.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admit that it was a lazy response. It was not much more than the original post deserved, though. ''IMMIGRANTS TAKING OUR COUNCIL HOUSES!'' What next - ''dey tek our jerrbs!'', South Park style?

claiming being "mortified" would have been better

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8649853.stm
    ..not that it did him much good either.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for the bit in bold... well, that's your particular bugbear, not mine. Seeing as you always have the answer.

A lazy response, yes. Also a tad offensive I would have thought.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    When you say your council houses, presumably you mean the one that isnt yours and never will be and that you would like me to subsidise for you.
    How are you subsidising council housing? Or do you mean tenants of any type of landlord?
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I always thought council housing was designed to help out those less fortunate to get a roof over their heads until they could get on their feet.

The problem is their are generations of families that think it is their God given right to be allocated a house.

I do not not know about about other people, but on my paternal and maternal side of my families, no one has ever been allocated a council house.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't own any council houses. I don't want to live in one either

*walks out of thread*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    When you say your council houses, presumably you mean the one that isnt yours and never will be and that you would like me to subsidise for you.

Like Buckingham Palace, Clarence House, Windsor Castle, Kensignton Palace (containing one recently refurbished 21 bedroom flat at a cost to the taxpayer of over £1m to house a twenty-something unemployed couple, when in London). It's a great pity that these were overlooked when Thatcher sold off the housing stock.

Perhaps the Tories will reintroduce the Building Stable Communities project - aka Homes for Votes (gerrymandering).
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    How are you subsidising council housing? Or do you mean tenants of any type of landlord?

Same way other people do. My issue is with the first poster's use of the term 'our housing' as if she has assumed some right of ownership. I would like to know who these 'our' people are, in her mind.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    I always thought council housing was designed to help out those less fortunate to get a roof over their heads until they could get on their feet.

The problem is their are generations of families that think it is their God given right to be allocated a house.

I do not not know about about other people, but on my paternal and maternal side of my families, no one has ever been allocated a council house.

No, they were designed for working class people who couldn't afford to buy their own home. Who prior to council housing would have been shoved in a back to back slum or tenement building with an outdoor toilet. Maybe you'd like to see us go back to that? :yawn:

So much ignorance and snobbery on this thread. Both my parents grew up in council homes and I still have relatives who live in them.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same way other people do.
    Don't see how that answers why you think council housing is subsidised.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member

Well that was a well thought out and coherent response.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Learn not to misquote people first - and no, I don't have all the answers, Sara. I wish I did :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same way other people do. My issue is with the first poster's use of the term 'our housing' as if she has assumed some right of ownership. I would like to know who these 'our' people are, in her mind.

By "our" I meant the state's/Britain's council housing.

People don't have the right to a council house, in fact it's very much the opposite. Local councils have no legal obligation to house you at all unless you are part of a group that is considered to be vulnerable - you're disabled, or old, for example.

I still don't understand why people vilify Thatcher for selling off the council houses BUT fail to mention that immigration has also had a massive impact on the shortage of housing. I feel like the open-door immigration policy has betrayed working class Brits just as much.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People bang on about Britain not having enough social housing, which is a sentiment I agree with. But if it wasn't for immigration, there would be far more council houses to go around.

According to the Telegraph, half a million immigrants were given social housing in the last decade, and in total 1.2 million immigrants live in council accommodation.

Link here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10205963/Half-a-million-immigrants-given-social-housing-in-the-last-decade.html

Clearly if the Labour government hadn't allowed so many immigrants to settle here, there would be far more social housing to go around.

However, people always seem to blame the shortage on Thatcher's right to buy policy whilst ignoring the stats about immigration.

Clearly Labour's open door policy is mostly responsible for the housing crisis and shortage of homes, as if they hadn't allowed so many migrants into Britain, we would have hundreds of thousands more council homes.
    Isn't the levels of immigration partially due to being in the EU and being subject to freedom of movement laws ? Therefore it would have happened if the Conservative party had been in power
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, lets ignore any issue, however important, that may have been covered by any media right of the BBC or the Guardian. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I would rather the immigrants have main priority for council houses than the English.
    God bless the open borders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People bang on about Britain not having enough social housing, which is a sentiment I agree with. But if it wasn't for immigration, there would be far more council houses to go around.

According to the Telegraph, half a million immigrants were given social housing in the last decade, and in total 1.2 million immigrants live in council accommodation.

Link here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10205963/Half-a-million-immigrants-given-social-housing-in-the-last-decade.html

Clearly if the Labour government hadn't allowed so many immigrants to settle here, there would be far more social housing to go around.

However, people always seem to blame the shortage on Thatcher's right to buy policy whilst ignoring the stats about immigration.

Clearly Labour's open door policy is mostly responsible for the housing crisis and shortage of homes, as if they hadn't allowed so many migrants into Britain, we would have hundreds of thousands more council homes.

They are trying to build what 200,000 a year as a target? If so that means without all Blair's mass immigration and other government mismanagement of the immigration system, we could just do nothing for the next 11 years and we wouldn't be any worse off housing shortage wise.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styles wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that British nationals are not given preference, how is that just or fair? It seems morally wrong.

Didn't Gordon Brown say when he was P.M. that Britons should be housed ahead of immigrants, and British jobs for British workers, but he was stopped by the E.U. from carrying it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    jazziee wrote: »
    I would rather the immigrants have main priority for council houses than the English.

http://i.imgur.com/7lL74xd.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazziee wrote: »

So do the English get priority for housing in the migrants countries, (i.e. the fairness that Ed and Nick always talk about), or is it just the English that must be punished for their imperialist ways?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So do the English get priority for housing in the migrants countries, (i.e. the fairness that Ed and Nick always talk about), or is it just the English that must be punished for their imperialist ways?

Yes what are the chances of UK residents getting council housing in other EU countries?