UFC Discussion Thread

Comments

• Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petestan wrote:
    Thanks 2fabiola, I have seen the cage rage advertising during TUF and the UFC fight nights, will have to put cage warriors onto my weekly planner, Pete.
    You can all add the new Cage Rage TV show to the planner too now!
    After weeks of negotiations The Cage Rage Championships can now release that they have signed a contract to be the flagship show of The Wrestling Channel (TWC) as the channel embarks upon a shift in programming from 4th December. The show "Cage Fighter", which is produced and presented by Cage Rage promoters Andy Geer and Dave O’Donnell, will broadcast from 22:00 to 23:00, six days a week, Monday to Saturday on Sky Channel 427.

The magazine format TV show will feature Cage Rage footage, exclusive backstage access at events as well as studio interviews with the top MMA fighters and celebrity guests. It will be the daily injection of MMA for hardcore fans and accessible enough to expose the sport to a larger audience. More >
  • 100 monkeys100 monkeys Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    Petestan, you need to check out all of Hughes' last ten to fifteen fights in the UFC (except for his title loss against BJ Penn). He is easily one of the most dominant fighters in the world and his loss against GSP isnt a good fight for him to be compared against. The better man won last Saturday at the end of the day.

I would agree that this was not the fight on which to judge Matt Hughes. GSP was awesome and it can be easily argued that he is now this good a fighter as a result of hughes's dominance over the last few years (and the beating he gave him).

Matt is a great fighter but i would certainly agree that this is mainly due to his ground skills, ie, mostly take-downs and submissions. He's gonna have to raise his game for the innevitable rematch (confirmed yet?).

I'm very interested to see how Diego Sanchez would look against GSP. Since TUF1 Diego has slaughtered all that have opposed him and that fight would be a mouth-watering prospect.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree that this was not the fight on which to judge Matt Hughes. GSP was awesome and it can be easily argued that he is now this good a fighter as a result of hughes's dominance over the last few years (and the beating he gave him).

Matt is a great fighter but i would certainly agree that this is mainly due to his ground skills, ie, mostly take-downs and submissions. He's gonna have to raise his game for the innevitable rematch (confirmed yet?).

I'm very interested to see how Diego Sanchez would look against GSP. Since TUF1 Diego has slaughtered all that have opposed him and that fight would be a mouth-watering prospect.

Totally agree with you, sanchez against GSP would be a great fight, as much as I like matt serra, he has no chance of beating GSP, and the rematch with hughes will go the same way (I think) as the last fight, so sanchez vs GSP sometime next year is something to look forward to, but untill then we have chuck vs tito......I cant wait
  • nfc90210nfc90210 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    UFC is too brutal and violent for a mainstream audience. It will remain a niche "sport".

The UFC is well on it's way to the mainstream in the US. A UFC PPV this year headlined by a rematch between Tito Ortiz facing Ken Shamrock did 775,000 buys on PPV. That is a massive number. The only thing that will do numbers bigger than that are Oscar De La Hoya fights.

There are some who think that the UFC's PPV on December 30th headlined by Chuck Liddell facing Tito Ortiz could do a million buys on PPV. It certainly has a shot. It should at least do similar numbers to Ortiz/Ken Shamrock, and be one of the biggest PPV's of the year.

The third fight between Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock, which was on Spike TV (a basic cable channel) did amazing ratings.
    Fight did a 9.7 rating in males 25-34- Fight did an 8.0 rating in males 18-34- Show drew 4.2 million viewers overall, crushing Smackdown's CW debut- Fight did 5.7 million viewers, more than watched Raw or Smackdown last week- Show drew more 18-34 men than any show on broadcast OR cable all day- Highest rating for a night in males 18-34 and 18-49 in Spike history- Broke the spike.tv website one-day unique viewers record- Broke the old UFC quarter hour viewership record by 2 million viewers

Note: Smackdown and Raw show mentioned in the above quote are WWF wrestling shows.
    After watching that silva would'nt last a minute against chuck, thanks for the clip........was that a title fight?

Someone touched on this already...

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipović is the second, or third, best heavyweight MMA fighter currently active. If it wasn't for Fedor Emelianenko he would probably be universally regarded as the number one MMA heavyweight. The fight was part of Pride FC “Open Weight Grand Prix” tournament, which Cro-Crop won. It's unfair to judge Silva Vs Liddell based on Silva's performance against one of the best heavyweights in the world.

A better comparison is Quinton "Rampage" Jackson an opponent they both share. Jackson beat Liddell. The fight ended with Liddell's corner throwing in the towel. Silva has beaten Jackson twice. The fact that Silva beat Rampage doesn't mean that he's going to walk through Liddell. MMA maths doesn't work. Silva would be a very tough fight for Liddell. Who wins is another matter? Is a topic to it's self.

Anyway. Some videos...

Chuck Liddell Vs Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (PRIDE-Final Conflict 2003, 11th November 2003)

Note: UFC president Dana White joins Pride broadcast team for the fight. White has bet $250,000 on Liddell.

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/Liddell/video/x7zfn_quinton-jackson-vs-chuck-liddell

Note: The first Rampage/Silva fight happened at the same show as Rampage/Liddell. It was part of the middleweight grand prix (Pride call their 205lbs division middleweight). The semis and final were fought on the same night. Rampage got to the final by beating Liddell. Silva got there by beating Hidehiko Yoshida in his semi-final.

Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva Vs Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (First fight) ((PRIDE-Final Conflict 2003, 11th November 2003)

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/silva%20jackson/video/x7vyd_vanderlei-silva-vs-rampage-jackson

Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva Vs Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (The second fight) (PRIDE 28-High Octane, 31st October 2004)

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/silva%20jackson/video/x7z48_wanderlei-silva-vs-quinton-jackson
    Forum Member
    To put the 775,000 PPV buys that the second fight between Ortiz and Ken Shamrock did in perspective I managed to find this online.

It should also be noted that 775,000 that Ortiz/Ken Shamrock did was the early number, and not the final number.

I found this on another forum.
    ....HBO releases the numbers for theirs, and so to Showtime, but final numbers are never released, so these are all preliminaries, however with the fact that boxing PPVs are not replayed, there's never really any difference in buyrates. Smaller PPVs never get their's revealed. Off the top of my head for recent events:

-Oscar/Hopkins - approx. 1,000,000
    -Oscar/Mayorga - 935,000
    -Trinidad/Wright - 535,000
    -Vargas/Mosley I - ~400,000
    -Vargas/Mosley II - 350,000
    -Mayweather/Gatti - 350,000
    -Mayweather/Judah - 410 to 425,000
    -Barrera/Juarez II - 165,000
    -Rahman/Maskaev II - 60,000
    -Gomez/Margarito - 35,000
    -Klitschko/Williams - 125,000
    -Ruiz/Golota (Don King's giant 2004 heavyweight mega card) - 175,000

-Hopkins/Tarver - 350,000
    -Cotto/Malignnagi - 100,000 (I separate these because they were on the same night. A card of both together probably would have done over 500,000 no problem because those people on the fence that bought neither would have just had one. But that's boxing for you....)

The Morales/Pacquiao and Morales/Barrera fights are all just south of the 300,000 border, usually running about 250,000 or so.

In terms of all time buys, Tyson/Holyfield II (1.8 million), Tyson/Lewis (1.6 million), and Oscar/Trinidad (1.4 million) are really the benchmarks. Tyson broke a million buys I believe 5 times, which is absolutely unheard of from anyone else in the sport or anywhere else in PPV as a singular draw."
    Forum Member
    More evidence of the UFC's march toward the mainstream...

From...

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/FOXSp...A/2006/11/28/Yo
    According to the Nov. 27 Wrestling Observer, an anonymous cable industry insider pegged the buy rate for UFC 63, featuring Hughes vs. B.J. Penn, at 700,000 buys. If accurate, that would place it second behind UFC 61 as the most purchased show in UFC history. And UFC 63 didn't have nearly the mainstream buzz UFC 65 garnered. It could well be that Hughes is at least as big a draw as Ortiz and Liddell, even if fans are buying because they want to see him lose. If things proceed as expected, with GSP dispatching of Matt Serra in February, then the tentatively planned GSP-Hughes rematch in May will likely be the biggest show in UFC history, particularly if it takes place in Montreal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nfc90210 wrote:
    More evidence of the UFC's march toward the mainstream...

From...

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/FOXSp...A/2006/11/28/Yo

It'll soon overtake boxing, when was the last time you can think you got excited about boxing (I cant)......now think of the buzz the GSP vs hughes fight had, and the upcoming chuck vs tito fight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    i have season 2 UFC brand new still sealed bif anyone wants to make me an offer
  • petestanpetestan Posts: 3,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have season 2 UFC brand new still sealed bif anyone wants to make me an offer

50p :D:D
    Forum Member
    its £30 in the shops and they are still sealed
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    And if you dont want to pay that, you can get it for £25 at www.fightdvd.co.uk
    Forum Member
    or buy it off me for £20 even cheaper.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UFC 66: Ortiz Liddell 9pm Monday January 1st
  • jrmich9jrmich9 Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote:
    UFC 66: Ortiz Liddell 9pm Monday January 1st

Can't wait!!! Only wish we got it live :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jrmich9 wrote:
    Can't wait!!! Only wish we got it live :(

I know what you mean, you cant go on the UFC website that day or you'll find out the result, lets hope SKY SPORTS pick it up, because i'd pay for it.........I cant wait for the fight :)
    Forum Member
    Quintin "Rampage" Jackson has signed an official 2 year deal with the UFC and will fight Marvin Eastman at UFC67 in February.

The TUF4 winners, Matt Serra and Travis Lutter will get their title shots against George St Pierre and Anderson Silva on the same card.
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COYS wrote:
    I know what you mean, you cant go on the UFC website that day or you'll find out the result, lets hope SKY SPORTS pick it up, because i'd pay for it.........I cant wait for the fight :)
    Setanta had a few live events on PPV in late-2003 and early-2004 (Sky Sports had shown UFC many years ago too). Bravo later obtained coverage after them.
    Forum Member
    Not bothered at all with the current UFC PPV situation in the UK.

I'd much rather have it on a one day delay and have it for free than to have to pay for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or buy it off me for £20 even cheaper.

£17.22 on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000E3LGOM/ref=dp_olp_2/203-7832526-3454335

Presuming you are meaning TUF season 2, not that I want it thanks. :(
    I was only joking with the 50p offer. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    I'd much rather have it on a one day delay and have it for free than to have to pay for it.

I have to agree with you there DanVitale why pay per view for it when you get it for free as part of the subscription 24 / 48 hrs later.
    Even if you don't subscribe to sky I would suspect it would be cheaper to pay for the minimum package to get Bravo than for a PPV event isn't it? (not sure of the cost)
    Forum Member
    Official: Mirko Crocop and Heath Herring have SIGNED for the UFC.

Crocop will make his debut vs Eddie Sanchez at UFC 67. Herring will make his debut Jake O'Brien at the Ultimate Fight Night on January 25th.

UFC 67 is looking AMAZING:

Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra
    Mirko CroCop vs. Eddie Sanchez
    Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter
    Quinton Jackson vs. Marvin Eastman
    Melvin Guillard vs. Dustin Hazelett
    Scott Smith vs. Patrick Cote
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    Official: Mirko Crocop and Heath Herring have SIGNED for the UFC.

Crocop will make his debut vs Eddie Sanchez at UFC 67. Herring will make his debut Jake O'Brien at the Ultimate Fight Night on January 25th.

UFC 67 is looking AMAZING:

Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra
    Mirko CroCop vs. Eddie Sanchez
    Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter
    Quinton Jackson vs. Marvin Eastman
    Melvin Guillard vs. Dustin Hazelett
    Scott Smith vs. Patrick Cote

I agree, its looks a quality line up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys just want to say looking forward to UFC 66. The card is really good but not as good as Pride FC's Shockwave 2006 card on New Years Eve. Check YouTube for the fights after the event or even better download the whole thing from TorrentSpy. :D

Mark Hunt vs. Fedor Emelianenko
    Gilbert Melendez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
    Shinya Aoki vs. Joachim Hansen
    Mauricio Rua vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura
    Takanori Gomi vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida
    Ikuhisa Minowa vs. Kiyoshi Tamura
    Josh Barnett vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    Akihiro Gono vs. Yuki Kondo
    Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Eldari Kurtanidze
    Forum Member
    GSP is out of the UFC 67 Welterweight title match vs Matt Serra. He will be fit to fight in April.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    GSP is out of the UFC 67 Welterweight title match vs Matt Serra. He will be fit to fight in April.

thats a pitty :)

Chucks still champ :D (excellent news)....Rampage is next