Options

Jamaica Inn

Comments

• Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    :D some of the comments on here make it out like people were expecting a lovely fluffy drama, when the reality is the story was never like that in the first place, its meant to be dark and gloomy and I cant wait for tonights episode , the only thing that let it down last night were the sound issues but I managed ok

That's a bit condescending. I think most people were well aware that Jamaica Inn is a rather bleak and melancholy story. That doesn't mean any TV adaptation of the book is automatically brilliant.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dipped into it last night just to see what all the fuss was about. I was surprised to read that they had Cornish accent coaches, because it just sounded like" ooh arrr, ooh arrr," Mummerset Worzels.:D
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it :)
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its just been on the lunchtime BBC news. John Challis was on again saying he thought he was going deaf. I think the majority of us older viewers felt the same. I was really looking forward to it but I have it on in the background whilst having a laugh reading the forum which is far more interesting but its a shame because its an excellent story.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    I don't blame the actors either as they mostly do what the director tells them to do. Some are better than others obviously but that can just be down to casting. Sean Harris can't physically become 7 feet tall! I do wish he had found a way to speak that was clearer but that should have been picked up on by the director or production!
    It's a shame really as it does have a lot going for it - including some good individual performances. The sets too if the gloom had just been toned down a bit. It mostly seems to be down to whoever decided it was ready to be viewed by millions!
    I'm with you actually - I've got a lot more time for this than most people seem to have? Sean Harris is pure mis-casting - no, he can't become 7' tall, but then he shouldn't even have made the last three! Yes, he has a nasty twisted face (or can make one) - but it's more Uriah Heep than Joss. It's just the wrong kind of scary. (The mere fact that a Joss-sized actor could lay SH across his knee and snap him, makes him automatically wrong. ;-) ) His face is SO twisted that I thought at one point he actually had Brando-style cheek padding! The voice is clearly ridiculous, and should have been sorted out on day one. But I'm OK with all the other actors, including Mary - I think she's rather gorgeous and is doing just fine. And some of the photography is stunning. Give it a break, peeps! :)
  • Options
    Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    The sound is a huge issue but let's be honest, it is atrocious. The acting is so awful, it's muddy, depressing and there is no story to this. There were a few laugh out loud moments last night so not a total waste of time.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    If you want to criticise her acting skills go ahead.

But the majority of your comments have simply been vile, crude comments about the actresses attractiveness (according to you) and her sex life.

No as per usual wrong end of stick, the comments regarding sex life were in relation to the character, and as far as I'm concerned if its ok to slag the likes of Katonna, Price for their attractiveness then tv actors and actresses are fair game. Many a thread contains numerous comments about both male and female actors.

Now that's enough about that its time to get back on topic, the BBC should seek financial restitution from the independent production company and writer, they cannot be allowed to walk away scot free while the BBC takes the hit. And I do believe certain members of the cast should be barred from BBC drama productions in the future until they learn how to act.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Techies sick of taking the blame for this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/jamaica-inn-bbc-sound-technicians-deny-fault-for-mumbled-dialogue-9277665.html

"Ian Sands, vice chair of the Sound Branch of Bectu’s London Production Division, told The Independent that the performances in Jamaica Inn had been regarded as “challenging” by those recording the drama. “In this instance the general understanding amongst my colleagues is that this is an artistic issue.”

“Low level mumbled lines are not a technical issue they are an artistic issue,” he said. “Many Directors, and it may not be the case here, are very reluctant to tackle actors about their performance. That is their job but too often they will leave it to other colleagues to point out the challenges of ineligibility. If the Director accepts it, that's where the buck stops."

Oh dear, someone is telling porkies.

Harry Hill would be able to solve this - FIGHT!!!!
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    I agree completely. Would love the see the breathtakingly beautiful physiognomies of those insulting her.

Typical kneejerk reaction, it's not about you, me or any other member of DS it's about a shoddily made and written farce, with a cast of untalented third rate acts bar Ben Daniels.
  • Options
    Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Techies sick of taking the blame for this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/jamaica-inn-bbc-sound-technicians-deny-fault-for-mumbled-dialogue-9277665.html

"Ian Sands, vice chair of the Sound Branch of Bectu’s London Production Division, told The Independent that the performances in Jamaica Inn had been regarded as “challenging” by those recording the drama. “In this instance the general understanding amongst my colleagues is that this is an artistic issue.”

“Low level mumbled lines are not a technical issue they are an artistic issue,” he said. “Many Directors, and it may not be the case here, are very reluctant to tackle actors about their performance. That is their job but too often they will leave it to other colleagues to point out the challenges of ineligibility. If the Director accepts it, that's where the buck stops."

Oh dear, someone is telling porkies.

Harry Hill would be able to solve this - FIGHT!!!!

Stupendous.

In other words, your actors are shite. This side show is more entertaining than the actual show.:kitty:
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,907
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it :)

Me too- I love it.

Actually- sometimes it's a plus to be easily pleased and just enjoy something for what it is and not feel obliged to pull everything to bits :)
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    Stupendous.

In other words, your actors are shite. This side show is more entertaining than the actual show.:kitty:

Even if the actors mis-pitched their voices (and Sean Harris obviously did), it's the job of the director, producer, multiple executive producers and drama heads to pick up on this rectify the problem. It could all have been fixed in post-production.

So although I'll happily single Harris out for getting it wrong, the blame lies with those above him. All of whom are curiously silent …
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just second guessing what Joss says when I watch it.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupendous.

"Many Directors, and it may not be the case here, are very reluctant to tackle actors about their performance." - eh??!! :o But that's what directors DO ffs?! :confused:

Can you imagine John Huston saying, "Sorry Bogie - ooh, can I call you Bogie, I do hope that's all right?! Look, I'm really sorry about this cockney accent, but do you think we could just have a teensy-weensy try at it? Don't worry if you feel you need to have a lie-down first!" **

(** Production problem on The African Queen!)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the Head of BBC Drama on the One O'Clock News actors have failed if the audience can't understand what they're saying. I wonder if this is a sideways swipe at the production company ? But the completed programmes must have been seen by the commissioning editor and a few other big-wigs before transmission surely ?
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupendous.

I wonder if the same actors would mumble their line on the stage.
    I am sure the luvvies would get booed off stage.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    I wonder if the same actors would mumble their line on the stage.
    I am sure the luvvies would get booed off stage.

I have been to many theatre productions where a lot of "TV and film" actors are very hard to hear.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    Me too- I love it.

Actually- sometimes it's a plus to be easily pleased and just enjoy something for what it is and not feel obliged to pull everything to bits :)

Criticising a programme because you didn't enjoy the adaptation, the acting, or the casting is not 'pulling everything to bits'. I see this comment regularly on TV threads by people who enjoyed a series and can't accept that not everyone else felt the same.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    According to the Head of BBC Drama on the One O'Clock News actors have failed if the audience can't understand what they're saying. I wonder if this is a sideways swipe at the production company ? But the completed programmes must have been seen by the commissioning editor and a few other big-wigs before transmission surely ?

:o

So they wheeled out Ben Stephenson and he blamed the actors?

That's not a sideswipe at Origin Pictures - it's protecting them. And all the people who are actually responsible at the end of the day. I really hope Equity pick up on this.

Extraordinary - this is all WAY more entertaining than Jamaica Inn itself! :D
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to see ratings go up tonight - just from people seeing all this hoo-ha and tuning in to see what the fuss is about :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to see ratings go up tonight - just from people seeing all this hoo-ha and tuning in to see what the fuss is about :D

That's what all this kerfuffle was started for.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sound is a huge issue but let's be honest, it is atrocious. The acting is so awful, it's muddy, depressing and there is no story to this. There were a few laugh out loud moments last night so not a total waste of time.

I have to agree with you, I was so looking forward to watching Jamaica Inn but have been so disappointed.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems obvious to me that the sound quality is an artistic decision rather than a technical fault. The director and others want the characters to sound like brandy-drinking, bog-trotting hardnuts in perpetually sodden clothing. Which is fine, apart from the intelligibility issue. It's the sine qua non of the Gritty Bafta, darling!
    http://shelby.tv/video/youtube/-HXaj2IYYn8/the-kevin-bishop-show-gritty-bafta-channel-4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Seems obvious to me that the sound quality is an artistic decision rather than a technical fault. The director and others want the characters to sound like brandy-drinking, bog-trotting hardnuts in perpetually sodden clothing. Which is fine, apart from the intelligibility issue. It's the sine qua non of the Gritty Bafta, darling!
    http://shelby.tv/video/youtube/-HXaj2IYYn8/the-kevin-bishop-show-gritty-bafta-channel-4

Gritty Bafta. :D
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

So are the beeb now saying it wasn't a technical fault - as they said previously - but the actors fault? Which would mean what they said about the technical fault was an - errm - 'error' on their part, there was no fault?! Odd though considering the sound was better the second day.
    I frankly think it's very bad form to blame the actors. They don't have control over the finished article that's down to the directors and producers - if they were mumbling during filming - and one at least was - then the director should have sorted it out or got another actor instead. It's down the the production company and the BBC who decided that was how they wanted the finished article to be.
    Sadly it's turning into a farce. I feel sorry for all the actors involved as they are the names that will be associated with it. I think - personally - the best thing is for it go back and be recut so its at least an hour shorter. With the sound improved etc I really think that would make all the difference.
    I hope tonight the writer stuck to the book and the it moves along at a cracking pace - if so it will at least end well!
This discussion has been closed.