Best Companion Departures

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Re-watching the Mindarp ending, in which we see Peri 'die', it got me thinking. I would love to know what other people think are the best companion departures from Doctor Who.

My all time favourite has to be Tegan's from Ressurection of the Daleks, but Ian and Barbara's from The Chase, is also good. Glad to see they actually made it back, even if it was 18 months after they originally left.

Rose's departure in Doomsday, in which she was in despair at being 'locked' in an alternate London, was both shocking and sad. It was filmed well, too.

So, for you, which companion's departure do you think was the best?

Comments

• jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Adric, obviously.

A surprisingly abrupt and unexpected departure, but hey we finally got rid of bloody Adric!
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Jane Smith's from the Hand of Fear. So sad to watch! :( Also Donna at the end of the Stolen Earth two-parter. :( The Doctor having to rid her mind of all the Tardis adventures, knowing that if she stayed as the 'Doctor-Donna', she'd've died. So unexpected and harsh, but it had to be done.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dodo, Ben, Polly, Liz Shaw, Leela and Mel
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roses first exit was sad but so was Amy and Rory's in TATM. Gonna lost her memories but got to live a happy life with her family and even one the lottery. Reckon Clara will leave with a bang too. Dr knows his friends eventsally have to leave him one way or another.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    I think Susan's in The Dalek Invasion of Earth was quite a good one. Due to the Doctor speech to her from inside his TARDIS about proving him wrong, a.quality piece of acting from William Hartnell.
    Adric's in terms of a companion dying on him was quite a tough one for the Fifth Doctor, which we saw haunted that incarnation of the Doctor calling out his name in regret when regenerating.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first is easily right up there....Susan in TDIOE. Magnificent Hartnell moment. As a youngster, seeing Nyssa and Tegan so upset got me dewy eyed...and Adric blown up. Can't deny it!

More recently, the Donna departure was highly effective, however much it hacked me off at the time. There have been a lot of really good ones, to be fair. And a few rubbish ones.

I'll stick with Susan though. I knew the Doctor's speech from The Five Doctors but seeing it in context for the first time I was, and remain, very impressed.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Sarah Jane leaving at the end of The Hand of Fear was (for me) just awful. It didn't make sense at all - Doctor Who was about the Doctor and Sarah Jane. What was he doing leaving her behind? I spend the next few years waiting for him to go back and collect her, and didn't feel her story had any real closure until School Reunion in 2006. Nowadays there would be some build up to it. Back then, it felt like it was just bolted onto the end of episode 4.

Adric's death at the end of Earthshock was superb. I have no issue with the character or the actor, just the power of his completely unexpected demise. Companions just didn't die - but suddenly, with this unnervingly young Doctor, it seemed no one was safe anymore.

Tegan's departure troubled me as much as Sarah Jane's. Her reaction to the death toll in Resurrection of the Daleks was completely understandable but her departure was still too sudden. The fact the Doctor watched his young companion (basically) have a break down in front of him, and then seconds later headed off without her, was just poor writing from my perspective. He would (at the very least) have stayed for a few hours, checked she was ok and had somewhere to go and was able to collect her things from the TARDIS.

Peri's death was shocking (and, again, completely unexpected . . . oh, those pre-internet days!) but her resurrection and marriage to King Ycarnos (off screen) left me again wondering when the Doctor would go back and collect her. It could at least have been a throwaway line for the 7th Doctor somewhere in his first season (that he had visited her and she had chosen to stay with Ycarnos). I hope the 12th Doctor pays her a visit at some point . . .

I have liked all of the new companions' departures. Rose's was heartbreaking, Martha's was logical, Donna's was tragic and Amy and Rory's was actually quite sweet. I guess that's the thing about New Who - the writer's don't bolt a departure onto the end of a story. The build up to it, sometimes from the moment the companion first appears.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handles
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jo & Sarah Jane.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Romana.
    It was kind of like she was leaving home and growing up. Thanks to the Doctor she'd seen the Universe (and beyond), completed her apprenticeship aboard the Tardis and wanted to keep her independence by not being sent back to Gallifrey.
    Romana was all :cool: about it.

Though I kind of felt bad for the Doctor being stuck with just Adric.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Romana.
    It was kind of like she was leaving home and growing up. Thanks to the Doctor she'd seen the Universe (and beyond), completed her apprenticeship aboard the Tardis and wanted to keep her independence by not being sent back to Gallifrey.
    Romana was all :cool: about it.

Though I kind of felt bad for the Doctor being stuck with just Adric.

Yes, but if you remember, in the next story, we have the lovely Sarah Sutton as Nyssa, turn up and become a companion. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Melanie Bush's exit was played well. I like the speech the Doctor gave to her about 'Time'. :)

Talking of Mel, I've just found this, and it seems as though there is someone out there, that is a serious Mel fan. Over ten years now, it seems.

http://www.tetrap.com/drwho/mel/

It is definately worth looking at, just to see what I'm going on about. Some of you will be surprised.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about best but Sarah Jane's departure in The Hand of Fear is my earliest television memory. I have vague memories of Davros and Genesis of the Daleks but for a specific scene it is the Doctor/Sarah goodbye.
    I was so upset!

Given more poignancy since Bablecolour's tribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX5P8UyxA-I

Tom's last line - 'Til we meet again Sarah' gets me everytime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susan, Jame and Zoe, Sarah Jane, Adric, Lucie Miller, Amy and Rory. Those are some of my favorite exits.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Handles

+1,000,000 :)
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to say Adric too - probably the first one I remember.

In fact having now seen nearly every episode of Doctor Who (apart from the 1st Doctor) I'll still say Adric
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo at the end of The Green Death. Partly because Jon Pertwee underplayed it beautifully; the Doctor was heartbroken at losing Jo and yet knew he had to let her go. And partly because Jo's story had a perfect arc, which made her departure inevitable and poignant.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    And partly because Jo's story had a perfect arc, which made her departure inevitable and poignant.

Sssh... don't say the 'A' word!
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peri's departure is my all time favourite. It was so breathtaking and dramatic seeing her bald and her body now taken over by Kiv and King Ycarnos' emotion seeing her like that then shooting her. Nicola Bryant deserved an oscar for thar performance IMHO. I also loved the sixth Doctor's reaction "You've killed Peri". Pity about the cop out at the end of Trial of a Tinmelord when it was revealed that Peri actually married Ycarnos instead.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Not sure about best but Sarah Jane's departure in The Hand of Fear is my earliest television memory. I have vague memories of Davros and Genesis of the Daleks but for a specific scene it is the Doctor/Sarah goodbye.
    I was so upset!

Given more poignancy since Bablecolour's tribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX5P8UyxA-I

Tom's last line - 'Til we meet again Sarah' gets me everytime.

Yes, I agree, Sarah Jane's departure was the one that stuck with me as a lasting memory. I thought it was bitter sweet and funny at the same time.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    Dodo, Ben, Polly, Liz Shaw, Leela and Mel

Hard to tell how serious this comment is. Dodo and Liz obviously were given no onscreen send-off at all. Is this just a list of the people you were happy to see gone?

I thought Ben and Polly's farewell managed to be poignant even though it was brief and filmed in advance.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell how serious this comment is. Dodo and Liz obviously were given no onscreen send-off at all. Is this just a list of the people you were happy to see gone?

I thought Ben and Polly's farewell managed to be poignant even though it was brief and filmed in advance.

No it isn't a list of people I like gone. Otherwise it would have contained one name Rose. Just said those names because their departure was handled extremely badly and in some cases they were quite funny. Actually I would include Rose in that list. Going on about the death of Rose throughout the series then turns out she is safe and sound.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sssh... don't say the 'A' word!

It's not the A word that's the problem, it's the M word that is.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Handles

actually I don't disagree with this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually I don't disagree with this.

I do. He was once a cyberman, and as we all know, they are dangerous!