Options

ITV Encore channel

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    tomee wrote: »
    Digiguide has listing.

Thanks, just been having a look, not much to get excited about is there!

Although I may have a look at the Peak Practice re-runs, enjoyed that and to my knowledge it hasn't been repeated on TV for years.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    tempobus wrote: »

Although I may have a look at the Peak Practice re-runs, enjoyed that and to my knowledge it hasn't been repeated on TV for years.

ITV3..
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tempobus wrote: »

Peak Practice is one I would like to see as ITV3 did show some but not all of them. Mind you a bit of an odd start, they are showing Inspector Wexford and have started on Series 5 Episode 5 ? right near the end of the run , one does wonder who decided that one, surely you would start with Series 1 Ep 1.

Mind you then you have the Encore Hour, which runs from 4am to 12 noon !
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Just occurred to me, they could have simply called the channel ITV Drama! Nice and simple, you know exactly what you'll get when you tune in and it looks to be pretty much exactly what the channel is anyway.

But yes, all these programmes were standard for ITV3 throughout most of its history.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Encore had quite a quiet launch today by the looks of it. Nobody talking about it online and no discussion on here.

This channel going to fail. I know they've been advertising it for the last month but all the programmes are nothing special and have been seen before, it's only available on one platform as a subscription channel so how do they expect to get any viewers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    ITV Encore had quite a quiet launch today by the looks of it. Nobody talking about it online and no discussion on here.

This channel going to fail. I know they've been advertising it for the last month but all the programmes are nothing special and have been seen before, it's only available on one platform as a subscription channel so how do they expect to get any viewers?

I think that is even more reason why it should become the ITV Drama channel, that is actually quite a strong proposition and nobody could be in any doubt as to what it will offer, as for ITV Encore this all sounds a bit vague, as a name it suggests repeats which is hardly exciting after having already established other digital stations on satellite/cable/freeview do this for years now already.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channel has nothing I'd ever watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see the return of Classic Coronation Street and Emmerdale, in all the downtime from 4am-12noon every day, shame we can't see that appear in the morning schedule.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the return of Classic Coronation Street and Emmerdale, in all the downtime from 4am-12noon every day, shame we can't see that appear in the morning schedule.

They should be on ITV3 so a broad range of people can watch them. Being on ITV Encore would get a tiny audience and it probably wouldn't fit in among the crappy period dramas that ITV are obsessed with making.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »

It will show new commissions from 2015.

It isn't going to fail because it's part of the Sky package of entertainment channels and will receive income from the Sky subscription. For ITV it's another income stream which reduces reliance on advertising and sponsorship.

It doesn't matter if nobody is talking about it on day 1, it doesn't need advertising revenue in the same way as the other ITV channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    It will show new commissions from 2015.

It isn't going to fail because it's part of the Sky package of entertainment channels and will receive income from the Sky subscription. For ITV it's another income stream which reduces reliance on advertising and sponsorship.

It doesn't matter if nobody is talking about it on day 1, it doesn't need advertising revenue in the same way as the other ITV channels.

Which is why I thought ITV Emcore is rathEr an odd name for the channel , it automnatically says to me repeats as opposed to new shows.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the quality stuff (albeit repeats) is going to be shown exclusively on the new channel - Broadchurch, Lucan, Endeavour and Vera being a few examples.

NEWSFLASH - Nobody gets excited about repeats. That the primary selling point of the channel is repeating upcoming series of Endeavour and Vera is quite pitiful really.

They should just rename it "ITV3.1".
  • Options
    tubzy2001tubzy2001 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peak practice starts Monday at 1.35pm
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the branding and the content is better then the stuff on ITV and ITV2 which shows mostly rubbish.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    NEWSFLASH - Nobody gets excited about repeats. That the primary selling point of the channel is repeating upcoming series of Endeavour and Vera is quite pitiful really.

They should just rename it "ITV3.1".

But everybody loved Granada Plus with all the repeats.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why no ITV Die Hard 1, 2, 3 etc channels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    But everybody loved Granada Plus with all the repeats.

I think Granda Plus was that little more popular becasue it went back further with some programmes as opposed to shows that have not long been on ITV itself. Also people were very fond of the old reruns of Emmerdale and Corrie, I think if Encore added Corrie, Emmerdale and even Crossroads to its lineup it would see a sharp uptake in viewers.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    How ironic that tonight's ITV1 prime time offering was a "repeat" of an episode of Endeavour.
    :-)
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Peak Practice is one I would like to see as ITV3 did show some but not all of them. Mind you a bit of an odd start, they are showing Inspector Wexford and have started on Series 5 Episode 5 ? right near the end of the run , one does wonder who decided that one, surely you would start with Series 1 Ep 1.

Mind you then you have the Encore Hour, which runs from 4am to 12 noon !

Early Wexford is in rights hell as these were made and owned by TVS. When they lost their franchise their programme archive passed into various hands including Disney. However unclear who owns what and no one seems to want to exploit them. Is also why none of this stuff has made it to DVD.

The newer Wexford shows shown on ITV3 are those made by Meridian, hence owned by ITV who bought them when they amalgamated all the ITV English franchises via Carlton and Granada.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Why no ITV Die Hard 1, 2, 3 etc channels?

these films(and others)have been shown so many times,i wonder what sort of ratings they get? the same with only fools and horses on gold.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    these films(and others)have been shown so many times,i wonder what sort of ratings they get? the same with only fools and horses on gold.

I have to admit, if I go to bed and flick through the channels and see Die Hard 2 on, I invariably end up watching it again!

I think I read that Spotify and Netflix usage is more about watching or listening to old stuff you already know and like than seeking out new stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Early Wexford is in rights hell as these were made and owned by TVS. When they lost their franchise their programme archive passed into various hands including Disney. However unclear who owns what and no one seems to want to exploit them. Is also why none of this stuff has made it to DVD.

The newer Wexford shows shown on ITV3 are those made by Meridian, hence owned by ITV who bought them when they amalgamated all the ITV English franchises via Carlton and Granada.

The thing is ITV3 has shown the earlier Wexfords so don't quite get it.
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know why some programmes are 'not available on this platform'?
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know why some programmes are 'not available on this platform'?

How do you mean?
  • Options
    dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i received this reply after enquiring why is it only on sky and not virgin
    Dear D

Thank you for your recent email regarding ITV Encore.

We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed that ITV Encore is only available on Sky.  For those without Sky, ITV offers a wealth of drama across our channels, particularly on ITV and ITV3, both of which are free to air. 

New original commissioned dramas will continue to premiere on our free to air main channel throughout the year, and a range of our popular and classic drama series are available via ITV3.

We believe ITV Encore is complementary to the channels we already offer, as the peak time schedule is focused in particular on offering viewers another chance to see the best of contemporary drama which has aired on ITV main channel. 

We are a commercial broadcaster, and a key part of our business strategy is to grow non-advertising revenues and distribute our content to a variety of different platforms in new and innovative ways, and our decision to launch ITV Encore on Sky is in line with this.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to contact us here at ITV Viewer Services with your feedback.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can be of further assistance in the future.

Kind regards,

Sally 

ITV Viewer Services Officer