Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A few pages back ewoodie made a comparison to the hillbilly characters off The Simpsons and Fiz and Tyrone. Both are simpletons, both ignorant, and seem to enjoy living in squalor.

Now that would be interesting. :D:D

Ah yes, should have made myself more clearer, but your deduction is sound.

And don't forget the likeness between Fiz and Brandine! (Hair & teeth) :D:D:D
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years back Ken fell through the ceiling of a bedroom from the loft and landed on two people in bed. I can't remember who the two people were ...
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thumbolina wrote: »
    A few years back Ken fell through the ceiling of a bedroom from the loft and landed on two people in bed. I can't remember who the two people were ...

Wasn't it Maureen & Reg Holdsworth who were on a waterbed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it Maureen & Reg Holdsworth who were on a waterbed?

That was when Derek Wilton drilled through the ceiling of the Kabin and punctured the waterbed which then flooded everywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken stumbles and falls through the ceiling, landing on the bed with Nick and Leanne. Les finds him and accuses him of spying on young lovers.
    I googled it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thumbolina wrote: »
    That was when Derek Wilton drilled through the ceiling of the Kabin and punctured the waterbed which then flooded everywhere.

Don't forget Les & Cilla also fell through the ceiling in a bath!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken fell through onto Leanne & Nick while he was chasing Les back through the lofts. I think it was the time when Les had been sneaking through & down into Emily's & watching the racing on her telly & drinking & eating her food on an afternoon.
  • Toffee_AppleToffee_Apple Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I've never heard of anyone in real life falling through their ceiling, the houses in Coronation Street must be extremely shoddily built to allow it to happen with such alarming regularity.
  • Soapster1Soapster1 Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    amazing how much bigger the garden has got since they moved the set

I agree. Gail's garden used to be tiny with barely enough room to hang out the clothes.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Pace is fast bowling. Eg the west indies in the seventies/eighties had a phenomenal pace attack of Four great bowlers. An over consists of six balls bowled from one end of the wicket by one bowler, then another bowler bowls six balls from the other end. The best / fastest 2 bowlers would usually bowl first,depending on conditions, to take advantage of the shine on the new ball, then the second tranche take over as the first get tired. This would be the pace attack. Having just watched the ep, I'm guessing Steve's batting motion was meant to be comedic.
    Btw why would anyone be referring to bowls, it was all about cricket?

Thanks for all that. To be honest, I still don't understand which particular aspect is the "pace attack", as opposed to two fast bowlers taking over from two other fast bowlers. But don't worry about it - even if I understood, I'd never actually benefit from the knowledge.

And I'm afraid if I see a reference to bowling, my first thoughts are of lawn or ten pin.
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <reads the cricket description stuff> <dies of boredom>

Hate to sound like the forum plod but can we get back to the SORs please? :D
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of anyone in real life falling through their ceiling, the houses in Coronation Street must be extremely shoddily built to allow it to happen with such alarming regularity.

You would have thought that, when they built the new set, they'd have made it stronger to avoid this sort of thing happening again! :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would have thought that, when they built the new set, they'd have made it stronger to avoid this sort of thing happening again! :o:D

Indeedy! Corrie seem hell bent on repeating plots. Hence characters falling through ceilings and the grudge match sporting fixture with a local pub! Yawn! ;-)

And does Michael have to turn up in his musical ice cream van every time he's in Corrie!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    There's no way ADHD would make a previously polite and respectful child bad tempered and rude.....hyperactive and inattentive certainly, but not deliberately and maliciously disruptive.

I knew they'd make a complete mess of this storyline

BIB Another SL they didn't bother to research properly or they just don't care as long as it fits their plot.

How annoying for parents of children with this condition. It's very misleading to those who don't know about the condition who will now think ADHD = naughty child. So many parents and children have to deal with ADHD. It's irresponsible of Corrie to misrepresent it. I hope they get lots of complaints.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    And does Michael have to turn up in his musical ice cream van every time he's in Corrie!

I dont mind the van so much as the plinky plonky music he plays too! Surely he can turn it off!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i imagine Tracy Barlow would make for an interesting medical case study in The Lancet. I can't seem to recall her having an incidents of acute/chronic graft rejection from her transplanted kidney. in fact it's not even referred to, let alone 'play up'.
  • MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the first of Monday's episodes . . .

Sorry to regurgitate the subject but Eileen's tan!!!

... and they missed a trick while Eva was picking at Jason's nits ... a David Attenborough voice over.

You can tell a mile off when a disaster is due ... those involved are always leading an ultra-happy life!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, leaving aside the fact that there appear to be no joists and very little else to support the floor, I've just seen that Tyrone fell through two floors!

So, he had the impetus to fall through two solid floors AND there was nothing at all immediately underneath him in the room immediately below the loft. :confused:
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    You can tell a mile off when a disaster is due ... those involved are always leading an ultra-happy life!

Good point! So to be safe, we perhaps need to always be as miserable as possible, say like Victor Meldrew? Hang on............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point! So to be safe, we perhaps need to always be as miserable as possible, say like Victor Meldrew? Hang on............

I see what you did there!

I think, though, there's a middle ground between Tyrone and Fiz's happy time and me. :D
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    So, leaving aside the fact that there appear to be no joists and very little else to support the floor, I've just seen that Tyrone fell through two floors!

So, he had the impetus to fall through two solid floors AND there was nothing at all immediately underneath him in the room immediately below the loft. :confused:

I thought he fell through one floor, attic to bedroom? Jason went upstairs to look for him
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB Another SL they didn't bother to research properly or they just don't care as long as it fits their plot.

How annoying for parents of children with this condition. It's very misleading to those who don't know about the condition who will now think ADHD = naughty child. So many parents and children have to deal with ADHD. It's irresponsible of Corrie to misrepresent it. I hope they get lots of complaints.

They're confusing ADHD with children who are deliberately unruly, disobedient and disruptive. We heard of Max being rude to Simon and then hurling things in a temper at people in the garden.....it was almost predictable they'd choose to go down this route.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mind the van so much as the plinky plonky music he plays too! Surely he can turn it off!!!

It's the plinky plonky music that's played to announce his arrival that's so cringey. Plinky-plonky music = Micheal = it's really funny!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    They're confusing ADHD with children who are deliberately unruly, disobedient and disruptive. We heard of Max being rude to Simon and then hurling things in a temper at people in the garden.....it was almost predictable they'd choose to go down this route.

Are they confusing anything? I don't think Corrie actually care as long as they can make something fit their SL.

I thought in this day and age they would do their research and get the facts right. It's not fair on parents and the children who have ADHD.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the plinky plonky music that's played to announce his arrival that's so cringey. Plinky-plonky music = Micheal = it's really funny!

The music is also an advertisment for the ice cream man. People hear it and associate it with an ice cream and go out and buy one. However, if he is returning back 'home' he wouldn't want to attract buyers.

My next door neighbour, is a driving instructor and always has her sign up on top of the car, whether she is out casually or at home. It is a free advertisment as it has her telephone number on it.
This discussion has been closed.