Options

How did YOU react when someone you knew revealed they were Trans?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I thought it was some kind of typo. Or French.

:D Lol. I have been won round to the cautious use of the singular adjective 'their', which was totally forbidden at school. "Every student must provide their own piano accordian". But English is sadly lacking in gender neutral pronouns. 'It' sounds disgusting when applied to a person, and 'one' sounds absurdly pompous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing you've described is anything like being transgendered.

It goes beyond thoughts and words.... It's a sense of something wrong that only makes sense when you embrace the other gender.

I'll bear your words in mind. I can't say I fully understand but I only wish you happiness and peace and am not against your desires to transition.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Woah!

Do the posters who think trans people just need mental health attention want a rethink on where that treatment should go?

Just when you think DS can't get any more ridiculous :o

I've been trying not to comment and just read with interest but I had no idea what to make of that.
    Cheers Oddsy, you helped me out for a reply there.

I have to add how offensive that post was though, it's bloody hard enough being trans but bleedin' 'ell!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    Well I can tell you from a different angle.

The majority of my family when I revealed myself were ok with it and just treat me the same, Although my dad is a different strory he takes the pee out of me on facebook and to family, so I no longer have anything to do with him, luckily he moved to the Isle of Wight in April so I don't have to see him anyway, one of my cousins defended me emphatically to him on facebook a short while ago but I don't think she really likes him anyway.

Marv (Amy I think?) I remember you and Mathers chatting and I also remember how wrong it was for DS (HEAR THIS MODS) to only give the option of putting male or female into the gender options when they provided that facility in the profiles.

They should have just said 'please state gender' IMO.

It's so cack that your dad responded that way and shows how difficult it is for so many people to reveal themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    the thing is, there are a lot of people - a culture or sub-culture of us, if you like - who believe in the paranormal and spirits, and talking only about science, when people explain trans issues, isn't going to work for most of us.

I never look to science for answers. The brain of trans people, are ... yes yes yes, but is the brain the origin of consciousness, or just a transmitter? When you see life beyond the clearly physical, science is too limited to explain things.

I do absolutely believe that people can genuinely experience themselves as any kind of person whom they aren't physically, whether that's a different sex, a different race, a different age, a different species - or someone from another time - whatever - because at a spirit level we're all connected in my view.

.... does eugenics have any part in this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard the term genderqueer to describe anyone before. I've googled it though and it is apparently a catch-all term for gender identities other than man and woman, thus outside of the gender binary and heteronormativity. Whatever that means. I'm feeling a bit dim this evening.

My friend self-identified, (probably still does; we've lost touch), as genderqueer. It is not the same as being transgender, where you feel you're the opposite sex to what your body is. With genderqueer, you kind of feel you are both man and woman, but much more so the sex which is opposite to your own body. Body = the genitals you were born with. These words are as it was explained to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the thing is, there are a lot of people - a culture or sub-culture of us, if you like - who believe in the paranormal and spirits, and talking only about science, when people explain trans issues, isn't going to work for most of us.

I never look to science for answers. The brain of trans people, are ... yes yes yes, but is the brain the origin of consciousness, or just a transmitter? When you see life beyond the clearly physical, science is too limited to explain things.

I do absolutely believe that people can genuinely experience themselves as any kind of person whom they aren't physically, whether that's a different sex, a different race, a different age, a different species - or someone from another time - whatever - because at a spirit level we're all connected in my view.

Maybe if you did occasionally look to science you'd make more logical and less offensive assumptions than, "They're probably possessed by bad ghosts".

Your previous post is possibly the most nonsense, yet at the same time, offensive piece of claptrap I've ever had the misfortune to read on here.

If I didn't know better, I'd suggest a demon got hold of you and made you post it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Maybe if you did occasionally look to science you'd make more logical and less offensive assumptions than, "They're probably possessed by bad ghosts".

Your previous post is possibly the most nonsense, yet at the same time, offensive piece of claptrap I've ever had the misfortune to read on here.

If I didn't know better, I'd suggest a demon got hold of you and made you post it.

Not going to get into any arguments with you as I cannot see any reason for your hostility to me or wherever I have been rude.

We were asked for our opinions, so I gave mine, and I have made it clear that I wish no one ill - quite the contrary - and that I could be completely wrong.

I hope it made you happier to type the above.

You are on block for me, and I suggest you put me on block if you dislike my posts that much :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, someone doesn't like the 'opinion' I might hold of others! :)

Not being respected isn't much fun is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dolls you said this:
    I believe in spirit possession, and I'd be worried that an evil ghost of an opposite gender to the person was trying to take over the person's body and live a new life through them, wanting sex reassignment in order to match their sex in the spirit world.

Yet you think Oddsocks should be put on ignore for challenging you? Can you not see what you said was not only questionable but offensive? Genuine question.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Be who you are Marv. Your Dad is wrong, if he is upset about it then he should keep it to himself and not take to FB, that's nasty and shows a weakness in him!

I'll be honest and say that if it was somebody close to me or I knew well and had no inkling I'd feel awkward as in the case of Audley. I would however not treat them badly and at least try to understand.

Edit. Maybe not keep it to himself but discuss with you and other family members.

Thank you, I can totally understand people who would probably feel awkward about it lets face it it is part of the human condition.

The media does have a llot to answer for sadly though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a trans friend but to be honest I'm a very intuitive person, so I think I would have probably already guessed before they told me. Many times in my life I've met, or got to know a person and have been struck by the very strong impression that they're just not the gender their body suggests. Obviously, it's not my call to say that about them, which would be rude, but if someone like that told me they were trans, I'd probably just say, something to the effect of, well yes I've sensed it, and I wish you all the good luck in the world.

If a friend or relative who I never would have guessed was trans, told me though, to be honest, and meaning no offense here, (as I have no right to judge), I would have a worry which I know might be unusual and strange, but it's this; I believe in spirit possession, and I'd be worried that an evil ghost of an opposite gender to the person was trying to take over the person's body and live a new life through them, wanting sex reassignment in order to match their sex in the spirit world.

I don't know what I would say regarding the above. I guess, I would say as little as possible at first, as I wouldn't want to sound unsympathetic, but, it would definitely be a worry, and I would possibly just look for signs that the person was possessed and bring the topic up if I thought they were.

To be honest, I wonder if all trans people who want to transition, (not those who don't), are suffering from ghost possession issues. I'm not saying they are. Just that I don't know what to think. It's not my right to judge and everyone has the right to make their own decision about their body and I am all for others feelings being the paramount consideration.

You see I am a Spiritualist, and I have known mediums channel spirits of different sexes, and it really seems as though a person of the opposite sex is speaking through them. I'm also close to a man who used to channel another spirit so frequently he was like a multiple personality sufferer, and it was a male spirit like himself, but if it had been a female one, would that have caused him to start suffering from gender identity problems?

I did have a genderqueer friend years ago, and it was awkward for me at first as I didn't know what pronouns ze wanted to have used, and yet I didn't know if it would be offensive to ask. I mean, having only barely met hir, I didn't know if this person was a crossdresser, genderqueer or trans. That was uncomfortable for me, as I didn't want to hurt hir feelings or evoke dislike from hir, whom I admired.

That must be the biggest pile of shite ever posted on DS.

It's her not hir.

You are a spritualist who know mediums, all fakers. There is no such thing as mediums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    Thank you, I can totally understand people who would probably feel awkward about it lets face it it is part of the human condition.

The media does have a llot to answer for sadly though.

Marv, you've been on here for years and many of us older posters know you well.

Just live your life the best you can. I love you anyway:)

See you are dressed as a lady in your profile pic. That's nice:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not lots of people just a few nutters.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many people on these forums who downright scare me. What's the matter with you!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    To digress a (big) bit....

I must say, I kinda worry about the competence of the various psychiatrists and counsellors who are involved in all this stuff.

I mean, I'm sure that if a person is sincere in their justifications for swapping sex, the tests and advice that these people have to offer can be incredibly helpful.
    But, OTOH, if a person isn't being entirely forthright I don't think these people are anything like as good at spotting unsuitable candidates as they might like to think they are, which results in some people being very unhappy after the surgery is carried out.

Trouble is, I guess, that it's possible to coach yourself in order to provide all the right responses to the people who're trying to help you decide if you're doing the right thing even if you know you're being disingenuous.

I can't help thinking that a number of trans' people have an incredibly unrealistic idea of what it means to be the opposite sex and they're actually trying to fulfil a fantasy rather than simply correct a physical flaw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    There are so many people on these forums who downright scare me. What's the matter with you!

If you're that worried just leave the forum, you're not forced to be here.:confused:
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good friend of mine is Transgendered.
    Took it in my stride and.
    I gave her my support when others didn't.

Big and brave move for.her and I think she deserves all the help and support that I cold give her.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I think it was Elissa Richards. Just had a nosy and she's a guest now and hasn't posted in nearly a year.

Yes I remember Elissa and hope she's happy.

I've never known anyone in transition but I hope I'd be a faithful, supportive friend.

When I first arrived on this forum there was a poster documenting (with photographs) her journey to transition in Thailand. She worked in some sort of security position (police or bank). Her co-workers had accepted her transition and I was fascinated by her descriptions of the process and her clearly expressed and certainty of thoughts.

She happened to look very beautiful and her operation confirmed her. She stopped posting afterwards and I hope that's because she was able to go forward and live her life with which she was happily living.

Dredging and raking the the brain cells I think she might have been called Justine.

It doesn't matter. DS was my first venture into forums and she opened my eyes.
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Have you ever considered exorcism of the weird ideas spirits and the Spiritualist Church have infected you with?:o
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Ignorance and nastiness abounds I'm afraid love. I've been on the receiving end, not in the same way but around the same age as you. I learned that not everyone is capable of understanding, whether that is lack education, empathy or pure ignorance. Leave them to their shallow blinkered world, they don't matter at all. Draw from the positive in life and don't let them demoralise you, then they've not won their nasty battle.

leftie liberals. Like to put on a front about being lovely and inclusive and open minded. Disagree with one of their views though and abit of hard nosed reality isnt too far from the surface, insults and unecessary rudeness are thrown around with reckless abandon.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leftie liberals. Like to put on a front about being lovely and inclusive and open minded. Disagree with one of their views though and abit of hard nosed reality isnt too far from the surface, insults and unecessary rudeness are thrown around with reckless abandon.

You're right there!
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    People like me?? Where in my post did I say anything disrespecting her??

Calling her 'him' and 'the boy'...
  • Options
    Forum Member

You don't need to be a leftie liberal to know that Dolls post was highly offensive and that some other people here need to look more closely at themselves regarding this topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    If you're that worried just leave the forum, you're not forced to be here.:confused:

I read that as a comment on Dolls post.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not ghosts.

I mean, seriously, I respect your right to be a spiritualist, but do you genuinely not get how downright bloody offensive that is? How is it different from thinking that (say) homosexuality is the work of the devil?