Options

Why does the UK version of a game show nearly always seem to come to an end?

FundamentalFundamental Posts: 27
Forum Member
Like for example with Wheel Of Fortune, the American version of the show is still going, but the UK version of the show ended way back in 2001! :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Because the show airs first in the UK, and probably is aired less times a year in America (Their version of Deal or No Deal doesn't air 6 times a week).
  • Options
    shadowplayshadowplay Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    It's probably too costly to do as well. The Wheel of Fortune was screened five nights a week, as opposed to UK which are normally weekly. The quiz shows that air daily don't offer that much, for example The Chase, the prize might be won say twice a week if you're lucky. The same with Deal or No Deal, they don't pay out huge sums every night.

I would love a UK version of "Jeopardy", loved that show when I was living in Canada.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Because they're generally rubbish.
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Quiz shows seem to last better than game shows here too - Countdown's being running continuously since 1982 with thousands of episodes to its name, and A Question of Sport, University Challenge and Mastermind go pretty far back too, although the latter two had a break for a few years before returning. They're probably helped by not having any big money cash/prizes, instead the winner often just gets a trophy and an inflated ego to their name :p

Deal or No Deal's been on since 2005, which for a show with big jackpots and no quiz aspect is a huge length of time. The one I've always wanted to see is a big budget ITV version of Press Your Luck, which looks incredible from the US clips I've seen - apparently a UK version appeared briefly but as a no-budget regional show, shown only in the West of England on Sunday lunchtimes. Deserves better than that!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shadowplay wrote: »
    It's probably too costly to do as well. The Wheel of Fortune was screened five nights a week, as opposed to UK which are normally weekly. The quiz shows that air daily don't offer that much, for example The Chase, the prize might be won say twice a week if you're lucky. The same with Deal or No Deal, they don't pay out huge sums every night.

I would love a UK version of "Jeopardy", loved that show when I was living in Canada.

Didn't Jeopardy used to be on ITV years ago?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference between a quizshow and a gameshow has always been vague.

The main difference is the degree of razzle-dazzle in the format, you could create a version of Wheel of Fortune that could be more like Countdown very easily.

So the UK does not tend to keep the razzle-dazzle formats going forever, the more quizzy "gameshows" do go on forever however.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a whole variety of possible reasons - the format of the game, the presenter, the choice of contestants, what time the programme is shown, how many days a week, whether it gets moved around the schedule, etc.

Lingo in the Netherlands has been on daily for decades but in Britain it only lasted one series. IMHO the UK version failed because it had a dark depressing set, a poor presenter (Paul Daniels son) and contestants who in most cases weren't capable of playing the game which demands a very good vocabulary.

IMHO Jeopardy! is largely a success in the USA because Alex Trebek is very similar to William G Stewart, with a good all-round general knowledge. Also, the unnecessary question/answer reversal was probably seen as a gimmick here in the UK.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    There's more people in America so they'll have a bigger fan base and maybe why the shows will keep going
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea what the answer to your question is,other than to say that the British viewing public and the American viewing public are two very different animals and not just in respect of gameshows.

I would just like to mention,however,that the quiz show that 'got away' for me was "Take It Or Leave It"
    What a brilliant idea and format for a quiz show that was,with an excellent presenter in the effervescent Richard Arnold.
    Unfortunately it was made for Challenge TV,rather than BBC/ITV where it would have done a lot better.
    What a waste of a great show.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mastermind and University Challenge are two that seem to be perennial now. Weakest Link Countdown and Deal are what I would call long running.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea what the answer to your question is,other than to say that the British viewing public and the American viewing public are two very different animals and not just in respect of gameshows.

I would just like to mention,however,that the quiz show that 'got away' for me was "Take It Or Leave It"
    What a brilliant idea and format for a quiz show that was,with an excellent presenter in the effervescent Richard Arnold.
    Unfortunately it was made for Challenge TV,rather than BBC/ITV where it would have done a lot better.
    What a waste of a great show.

Must agree I can never understand why it wasn't snapped up by the other networks when it finished on Challenge
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm interpreting the OP's question correctly, then he/she's asking about UK versions of US game/quiz shows that have crossed the Pond and failed, while their US versions continued.

There have been a few exceptions to this however:

Blockbusters:
    US 1980 - 1982, 1987
    UK 1983 - 1994, 1997, 2000 - 2001, 2012

Fun House:
    US 1988 - 1991
    UK 1989 - 1999

Catchphrase:
    US 1985 - 1986
    UK 1986 - 2002, 2013
  • Options
    Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the US obsession with Jeopardy. It seems to be the only quiz show they ever talk about over there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Because they're generally rubbish.

Same applies to our sit-coms as well, I believe.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Phoenix04 wrote: »
    I don't get the US obsession with Jeopardy. It seems to be the only quiz show they ever talk about over there.

Because it's the most watched. It's on 5 nights a week, just before primetime tv starts.

According to wikipedia, there have been 9,400 episodes of Jeopardy aired since 1964. That's 7 times as many episodes as University Challenge.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the American game shows continue in Syndication (usually meaning daytime) long after the Prime Time version has finished. Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy continue evenings and still have a decent following.