Options

My Fajita Recipe

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
I love Fajitas but hadn't made them for ages until tonight. I changed my recipe slightly and they tasted so good I thought I'd share :D :

- Chop two red onions and fry on a low heat with oil until slightly brown.
- Add in some garlic and chilli. I use the cubes that you can keep in the freezer. I used two garlic cubes and one chilli cube.
- Keep frying until the red onion is brown and the garlic and chilli have dissolved.
- Add peppers
- Add one chicken stock cube.
- Add one table spoon of red pesto
- Let everything simmer on a low heat for about 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir it into the mixture.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked, add the fajita mix/sauce...I use 'Discovery Fajita Spice' which is in a sachet...not a fan of Old El Passo at all.
- Stir the sauce into the mixture and add some mixed herbs.
- Letter everything simmer for a few minutes and then squeeze in some Tomato Ketchup
- Stir in the Tomato Ketchup and let everything simmer for another few minutes.
- Sprinkle in some salt and black pepper
- Warm some tortillas in the oven
- Pour some sour cream onto each wrap and with a knife spread it all over the wrap.
- Spoon your mixture/chicken into the wraps
- Sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese on top and then fold your wraps.
-

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    See, I find Discovery disgusting! Old el Paso all the way...
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds delicious, OP.

For me though, a fajita at the very least has to have marinated and grilled meat. Any Tex-Mex restaurant worth its salt will bring your fajitas to your table sizzling on a cast iron, with fresh, warm tortillas on the side. If it's beef, skirt, flank or tenderloin is the best, imo.

A simple overnight marinade is, lime juice, oil, cumin, chopped jalapeños, fresh coriander, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
  • Options
    jaymmujaymmu Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I love Fajitas but hadn't made them for ages until tonight. I changed my recipe slightly and they tasted so good I thought I'd share :D :

- Chop two red onions and fry on a low heat with oil until slightly brown.
    - Add in some garlic and chilli. I use the cubes that you can keep in the freezer. I used two garlic cubes and one chilli cube.
    - Keep frying until the red onion is brown and the garlic and chilli have dissolved.
    - Add peppers
    - Add one chicken stock cube.
    - Add one table spoon of red pesto
    - Let everything simmer on a low heat for about 6 minutes.
    - Add the chicken and stir it into the mixture.
    - Once the chicken is almost cooked, add the fajita mix/sauce...I use 'Discovery Fajita Spice' which is in a sachet...not a fan of Old El Passo at all.
    - Stir the sauce into the mixture and add some mixed herbs.
    - Letter everything simmer for a few minutes and then squeeze in some Tomato Ketchup
    - Stir in the Tomato Ketchup and let everything simmer for another few minutes.
    - Sprinkle in some salt and black pepper
    - Warm some tortillas in the oven
    - Pour some sour cream onto each wrap and with a knife spread it all over the wrap.
    - Spoon your mixture/chicken into the wraps
    - Sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese on top and then fold your wraps.
    -

Whatever that is, it isn't fajitas.

Fajitas aren't a saucy dish, like the other poster said, it's pretty much marinaded meat which is grilled / griddled with some added veg.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaymmu wrote: »
    Whatever that is, it isn't fajitas.

Fajitas aren't a saucy dish, like the other poster said, it's pretty much marinaded meat which is grilled / griddled with some added veg.

Yep. I would also add that certain spices make fajitas what they are and pesto would not be included in that. Sounds tasty though OP.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I make my own spice mix.

2 tsp salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp dried onion powder
    1 tsp dried garlic powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper

Slice 4 chicken breasts. Pour over some vegetable oil then add this spice mixture, as much or as little as you feel necessary. Mix together - get the chicken really coated, then leave for a couple of hours.

Slice one onion, one red pepper and one green pepper.

Fry the veg and when softening, add the chicken. Fry until the chicken is cooked.

Serve it in your tortillas with your choice of extra fillings.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's not a Fijita as I know it.

Don't see the point in buying sachets of spice mix either. Just use spices from the cupboard.

I put everything in a bowl, the meat, onion, peppers, spices, herbs etc and let it marinade for an hour or so.

Then I get the griddle pan smoking hot and cook it all together regularly tossing it.

Take the tortillas to the table with a bowl of sour cream, a bowl of salsa and a bowl of grated cheese and then bring the sizzling pan in and let everyone help themselves.