Options

ITV messing up Dancing on Ice all Stars??

Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else think they are potentially ruining a fantastic series. First of why have Joe / Todd as contestants and the ridiculous idea from the producers to have half the cast perform on Week 1 to a double elimination and the other half for another double Week 2.

On Strictly they tend to get the most out of the celebrities till the vote offs. For instance, 1st elimination is Week 2 and doubles near towards the finale.

Comments

• Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having 1 comedy act is fine & Todd does have one of the most iconic moments in DOi so don't really mind they invited him but there was no real need for Joe as well. At least we should take some encouragement from the fact that Joe left week 1 though.

I agree entirely on the double eliminations though.
  • Options
    4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I was really annoyed there was a double elimination we probably wouldn't have lost Jorgie .
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Having 1 comedy act is fine & Todd does have one of the most iconic moments in DOi...
    It might of been iconic if he hadn't deliberately done it.
  • Options
    Trmcg5Trmcg5 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4troy7 wrote: »
    I was really annoyed there was a double elimination we probably wouldn't have lost Jorgie .

I think it would've been Jorgie/Bonnie B2 as Bonnie was never popular with the voters in series 1. Then I think the judges would still have eliminated Jorgie
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    It might of been iconic if he hadn't deliberately done it.

IIRC he has admitted he was supposed to trip or wobble over on purpose a bit and then turn back around and assume the finishing pose. But instead he actually went stumbling fully A over T down the tunnel and have to be returned to standing position and flirted back out by the backstage crew. It was funny at the time to me, though. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    They should have asked the Pros who was their fave celeb and done it that way instead... could do without seeing Bonnys bloody face again
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it odd that they want to boot out four contestants after one performance. Not only are they paying eight people (including the pros) a hefty sum for it, but they're also depriving the viewers of enjoying their favourites for much longer.

Why dangle a carrot in front of our faces, then not let us have it? Booting four of them out so early is only going to leave us bitter and disappointed, and some won't bother watching once their favourite leaves.

Surely it'd be much better to keep as many as possible until as late as possible? Do a double in a few weeks time, followed by another towards the end. There's no rush, and the "twists" are utterly pointless. Not only did they kill the programme in the first place, but they also DO NOT MATTER. The show has been axed, so why do they seemingly still care about the ratings? Stop these cheap publicity stunts, trying to shock us all, when all we want is to CELEBRATE the last series.

It should be full of smiles and happiness, not getting the contestants and viewers worked up. It's called Dancing on Ice, not The X Factor, stop chasing headlines and ratings and cheap shocks - it doesn't work.

The producers have shown us exactly why it's been axed - they're absolutely useless and have no idea how to run the show.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don;t watch Strictly so I didn't know that they don;t do an elimination until week 2 - that would have been a much better idea for DOI too.

4 eliminations in 2 weeks is ridiculous. They could also have had less contestants - Joe and Todd should never have been brought back, it's supposed to be All Stars for Heaven's sake! For comedy value Vanilla Ice or Chico or even Keith Chegwin would have been better as they are a better standard.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Trmcg5 wrote: »
    I think it would've been Jorgie/Bonnie B2 as Bonnie was never popular with the voters in series 1. Then I think the judges would still have eliminated Jorgie

Only if they were silly enough to have repeated the last few years format and allowed the public vote alone to decide. There was no need for a double elimination in week one, as there was no deadwood in that show, apart from Joe the comic, to remove. and, if the judges vote had been counted, as in any other week , Joe would have been in the bottom two and would have gone. They didn't need to keep popular people in either. regardless of their ability. because they have a lot of popular people there too. They also had plenty of past experience to tell them that some good peformers would be at risk, with only the public vote counting.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trmcg5 wrote: »

Yeah, I strongly suspect it would've been a Bonnie/Jorgie bottom 2 anyway. But I agree with the points being made, it's been a horrible, cruel start to a series that should be fun. They have nothing to prove and they've wasted opportunities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if they were silly enough to have repeated the last few years format and allowed the public vote alone to decide. There was no need for a double elimination in week one, as there was no deadwood in that show, apart from Joe the comic, to remove. and, if the judges vote had been counted, as in any other week , Joe would have been in the bottom two and would have gone. They didn't need to keep popular people in either. regardless of their ability. because they have a lot of popular people there too. They also had plenty of past experience to tell them that some good peformers would be at risk, with only the public vote counting.

It's safe to say with the judges/public vote combined though that Jorgie would at least have been in the skate-off, wouldn't she? And if Joe got more votes than Bonnie, would that have been enough to put Bonnie in the skate-off or Joe? Either way it proves Jorgie's time was always going to be limited.

We also can't know for sure that the scores wouldn't have been different if the judges knew their opinions counted - Jason in particular seemed to not care about rating Joe highly or ripping into Kyran. There was possible tactics involved or sheer flippancy, and we know the public's own votes are often affected by marks. In fact if Joe and Jorgie had been ripped into they could have both been higher in the vote.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drifter wrote: »
    It's safe to say with the judges/public vote combined though that Jorgie would at least have been in the skate-off, wouldn't she? And if Joe got more votes than Bonnie, would that have been enough to put Bonnie in the skate-off or Joe? Either way it proves Jorgie's time was always going to be limited.

It would've been Joe vs. Jorgie in the skate off had the leaderboard counted.

There's no way that Bonnie could've been on less points than Joe, whether she came 5th or 6th in the voting.

Scenario 1:
    Bonnie - 5 + 3 = 8
    Jorgie - 6 + 1 = 7
    Joe - 3 + 2 = 5

Scenario 2:
    Bonnie - 5 + 2 = 7
    Jorgie - 6 + 1 = 7
    Joe - 3 + 3 = 6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That makes sense. The other points certainly stand though in that it's not just a simple case of adding scores and votes together because had both counted, ultimately both lists could have played out differently - of course we will never know!

I do agree it's likely we'd have a Joe skate-off though meaning no one good would have gone. A stupid, horrible rule, especially when next week looks pretty lame in comparison.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    ITV are becoming less and less respectable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    I find it odd that they want to boot out four contestants after one performance. Not only are they paying eight people (including the pros) a hefty sum for it, but they're also depriving the viewers of enjoying their favourites for much longer.

Why dangle a carrot in front of our faces, then not let us have it? Booting four of them out so early is only going to leave us bitter and disappointed, and some won't bother watching once their favourite leaves.

Surely it'd be much better to keep as many as possible until as late as possible? Do a double in a few weeks time, followed by another towards the end. There's no rush, and the "twists" are utterly pointless. Not only did they kill the programme in the first place, but they also DO NOT MATTER. The show has been axed, so why do they seemingly still care about the ratings? Stop these cheap publicity stunts, trying to shock us all, when all we want is to CELEBRATE the last series.

It should be full of smiles and happiness, not getting the contestants and viewers worked up. It's called Dancing on Ice, not The X Factor, stop chasing headlines and ratings and cheap shocks - it doesn't work.

The producers have shown us exactly why it's been axed - they're absolutely useless and have no idea how to run the show.

Glad I'm not the only one. ITV should have extended the show to 12 weeks. Elimination on Week 2, double elimination weeks 10 / 11 etc. All contestants perform week 1. Not half and half. The producers just made the show tacky.

BBC have the top show in Strictly because like you said they know how to actually run the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    ITV are becoming less and less respectable.

Agree, the way Jorgie was treated and also Nicholas on X Factor last year. Just poor grace from ITV.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    But the trouble with having comedy acts is it only works when it's new and a novelty. In the normal show, we don't really know who is what. Some turn out to be complete jokes, some start bad but do improve and of course some are great from the start.

When they invited these two back, we knew exactly what we are going to get and so it's not funny any more. It's like telling the same joke twice and expecting the same laugh every time.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the trouble with having comedy acts is it only works when it's new and a novelty. In the normal show, we don't really know who is what. Some turn out to be complete jokes, some start bad but do improve and of course some are great from the start.

When they invited these two back, we knew exactly what we are going to get and so it's not funny any more. It's like telling the same joke twice and expecting the same laugh every time.

I couldn't agree more. And to be honest I'm surprised that Joe & Todd actually agreed to return - shows a level of desperation perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Drifter wrote: »

We also can't know for sure that the scores wouldn't have been different if the judges knew their opinions counted - Jason in particular seemed to not care about rating Joe highly or ripping into Kyran. There was possible tactics involved or sheer flippancy, and we know the public's own votes are often affected by marks. In fact if Joe and Jorgie had been ripped into they could have both been higher in the vote.

Only if you took out the judges vote - which should have pulled one of Bonnie or Jorgie higher than the bottom 2. There was no reason to take it out, and if only one contestant had been going, there wasn't even an argument to just do what was done last year again. Joe might escape the bottom two if he got higher in the vote, but we know he was no higher than third from the bottom, and that wouldn't have been enough to avoid the bottom two on the normal counting rules. Of course you are right that things might change if the format was known to be different, but Joe couldn't get higher in a vote where the public vote was known to be more important, and the judges had already done a good job positioning him, without looking mean or nasty, and building his vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Joe at least can play different characters and be silly. I am intrigued how Todd will skate off stage in a new way, or find some other way of not being any good? He has done some comedy in spamalot since, but he can't do a routine from that on ice - and his singing ain't good. Whats he going to do in week two if he re-enacts the skate off stage in week one? What dpes he skate as his skate off skate - is his skate off skate his off stage skate? Or would someone skating off stage, to save themselves leaving the stage, be just too silly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the producers of DOI have never understood their audience. They've always emphasised drama, or how 'challenging' or 'difficult' it is each year because of whatever twist they've come up with. It's as if they think that people would rather see people being mocked and good skaters going out in week one. It's the Big Brother approach to this format, and it's why X-Factor and DOI are second fiddle to SCD. They just don't understand the audience - it can't just be about all the bitching and falling out and ridiculous twists; they need to get people talking about how great the routines are. The elephant in the room is T&D though - the show can't grow while they're churning out the same mediocre choreography every year. We need to care about the pros as well, but T&D hog the limelight. I expect we will see the show relaunched in a few years without them, and closer to an SCD format.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    I think the producers of DOI have never understood their audience. They've always emphasised drama, or how 'challenging' or 'difficult' it is each year because of whatever twist they've come up with. It's as if they think that people would rather see people being mocked and good skaters going out in week one. It's the Big Brother approach to this format, and it's why X-Factor and DOI are second fiddle to SCD. They just don't understand the audience - it can't just be about all the bitching and falling out and ridiculous twists; they need to get people talking about how great the routines are. The elephant in the room is T&D though - the show can't grow while they're churning out the same mediocre choreography every year. We need to care about the pros as well, but T&D hog the limelight. I expect we will see the show relaunched in a few years without them, and closer to an SCD format.

But that is effectively saying that T&D are past it.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ultimately the series is axed and everyone knows it, so there is bound to be an end of term feel to proceedings. I doubt ITV are all that bothered about how the eliminations are dealt with.
  • Options
    gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    It would've been Joe vs. Jorgie in the skate off had the leaderboard counted.

There's no way that Bonnie could've been on less points than Joe, whether she came 5th or 6th in the voting.

Scenario 1:
    Bonnie - 5 + 3 = 8
    Jorgie - 6 + 1 = 7
    Joe - 3 + 2 = 5

Scenario 2:
    Bonnie - 5 + 2 = 7
    Jorgie - 6 + 1 = 7
    Joe - 3 + 3 = 6

I think if the scoreboard had counted Gareth could also possibly have been in trouble. Had he came 4th in the vote he would only have had 2judges + 4public.
  • Options
    jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked at the awful ones being asked back. I only watched cos I thought it would be all the winners, or runner's up.
    I shan't be watching again until the dross has been eliminated - I can't stand to watch bad skating; I don't find it at all funny.
    As for the smugs; I just record it on Sky+ & watch later, so I can FF them all with the adverts, (they are in the same category; annoying, expensive & of little use). ;-)