Options

Prize cars in TV competitions

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
On this weeks Lorraine, the prize car is worth £20,000
If I won it and then decided to sell it, how much would I get for it ?

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less than £20,000 thats for sure.
    I daresay parkers or glass guides could give you a value. The problem is that if someone bought the same car from a dealer they'd get 'extras' thrown in and you'd be more confident of a reasonable service if things go wrong. I reckon you'd need to knock between 10 and 25% off, so £15-18,000.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I was going to say more like £13-15k but we both seemed to mention £15k, so more than likely to be around that figure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    A friend won a car once and she had terrible difficulty selling it. Plus it already has one owner when you sell i believe she had to to sell it for about 20% less than dealership value.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend won a car once and she had terrible difficulty selling it. Plus it already has one owner when you sell i believe she had to to sell it for about 20% less than dealership value.

20% discount is a pretty good return, i would have thought.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have thought the very least you would lose is 20% which is the VAT 'paid' on the car, selling 2nd hand no one has to factor in the VAT
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I don't think I would enter a competition to win a car. I always think it would be hassle to sell on and I'd prefer cold, hard cash...or other smaller, high-value prizes like on the Gadget Show. I don't think I'd have space for that much stuff though.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,498
    Forum Member
    I don't think I would enter a competition to win a car. I always think it would be hassle to sell on and I'd prefer cold, hard cash...or other smaller, high-value prizes like on the Gadget Show. I don't think I'd have space for that much stuff though.

I sometimes wonder about the Gadget Show prizes - what if you live in a one bedroom flat up three flights of stairs?
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend not to enter comps where the prize includes a car. But then again, I only enter online, and I wonder if the online entries just get thrown in the bin.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've always wondered if any of the companies have ever put a clause in the contract that the winner couldn't sell off the car straight away.

Then again, why would they be bothered. They're getting a prize from an advertiser.

Also, what happens when two friends win a car. Day on day off usage? :p
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've always wondered if any of the companies have ever put a clause in the contract that the winner couldn't sell off the car straight away.

Then again, why would they be bothered. They're getting a prize from an advertiser.

Also, what happens when two friends win a car. Day on day off usage? :p

On gameshows of old like Bullseye etc I often wondered what happened when the pairs of people who were usually friends or relatives that didn't live together would do when they won one car, caravan or a yacht etc between them.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to laugh a couple of weeks ago when a couple on the gameshow 3-2-1 from about 1981 ended up winning a very large top of the range fridge freezer with ice making compartment and all mod cons. As they were being walked over to collect their prize the lady said "our house isn't big enough for it" to which Ted Rogers wonderfully said "well you're going to have to build a new extension to fit it in now then". As if! I suspect they came to some kind of arrangement for something more compatible and of equal value in the end.

As far as brand new cars are concerned it is a well known fact that the very moment you drive a brand new one out the doors of the dealership it has almost instantly lost up to 40% of its value. So on a £20,000 it almost immediately becomes just £12,000. Rather shocking, and it is possible to buy brand new cars cheaper than second hand ones in some cases, if you buy ones that have just a couple of miles on the clock, or that have been registered but not driven anywhere, if you are technically down as the 2nd owner.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend not to enter comps where the prize includes a car. But then again, I only enter online, and I wonder if the online entries just get thrown in the bin.
    They would be risking another competitions scandal if they did throw them away.
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years back, I was tempted by a scooter that was a prize on The Price is RIght. Ended up being sold to another before I got to view it, but the guy didn't have a bike license who won it and being a 500cc he needed one!
  • Options
    LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I always wondered why on family fortunes they went for the car over the 20k or even the holiday. You can't split the car 5 ways.

Someone once told me the shows offered to buy the cars off the winners, which I guess would get around the issue of 2 people winning the car.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How is loosing 20 percent on a car a bad thing. I think your friend got very lucky with that deal! What did she expect the full retail value bback?