Options

Oldest parents in soap?

Alex250PAlex250P Posts: 1,474
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What with Kat and Alfie's twins being born this week, and the mention of Kat being a "geriatric mother" at 44, and Alfie being 50 - are there any other parents who had kids older than them in soap? I can only think of Kathy Beale and the Masoods with Kamil, but aside from that I'm stumped.

As well as that, the age gap between the twins and their older sister Zoe is 30 years!! Surely that is some sort of record in itself?

Comments

• Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zak and Lisa Dingle must be up there.
  • Options
    flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure exactly how old they were but Helen and Gordon Cunningham in Hollyoaks had Tom when they were older. They already had 6 grown up children between them when Tom was born.
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zainab and Masood are fairly old to have a son at Kamils age :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents had me at like Kats Age a little older actually.
    and my eldest siblin is in there 40's, and there old enough to be my parent.

Im glad that soaps are now doing older parents, instead of the underage thing.

bet no one wanted to know but hey! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Barlow was 55 when he had Adam
  • Options
    Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Daniel Osbourne, not Adam. Adam is his grandson and Daniel's nephew. Daniel was born in 1995, On that note though, his mother Denise was 40 when she had him.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Viv into her 40s when she had Heath and Cathy in Emmerdale?
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Natalie Barnes was in her 40s when she had her daughter offscreen.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Viv in Emmerdale was 50 when she had the twins. She must be the oldest mother in soap.

The largest age gap between siblings is Donna Ludlow and Ben Mitchell I think, 31/32 years.

Kat must be the only one in soap to give birth twice in her 40's. She had Tommy at 40. That's what happens when the producer reintroducing the character is an unimaginitive fool and doesn't have the savvy to write in 2-3 kids at that point.
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ericos wrote: »
    Ken Barlow was 55 when he had Adam

Adams his granson:confused:
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are having kids later on in life and my parents were also older and that was 32 years ago and now it's not as taboo as it was when my parents had me.
  • Options
    eaststreetlovereaststreetlover Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie's 50?!?
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member

Yeah, Mike Baldwin couldn't get Deirdre so he went for Ken's daughter instead.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    I think Viv in Emmerdale was 50 when she had the twins. She must be the oldest mother in soap.

The largest age gap between siblings is Donna Ludlow and Ben Mitchell I think, 31/32 years.

Kat must be the only one in soap to give birth twice in her 40's. She had Tommy at 40. That's what happens when the producer reintroducing the character is an unimaginitive fool and doesn't have the savvy to write in 2-3 kids at that point.

Your right the character of Viv was born in 1956 and she gave birth to the twins in February 2007 when she was 50 years old going on 51. I believe that makes her soaps oldest mother.

EEs Kathy Beale has outdone Kat she had Donna at 14 and then Ben at 46 meaning there is a 32 year age gap between her oldest and youngest. Kat was 14 with Zoe and then 44 with the twins so 30 years between hers. So that puts Kat behind Kathy.

Masood and Zainab is an ambiguous one because neither characters age has ever been revealed onscreen. Syed was born in 1984 and Kamil in 2010 so a 26 year age gap between the siblings but as for how old Masood and Zainab were when Kamil was born we don't know. Masood did mention once that when Kamil was 18 he would be "nearly 70" implying he was about 50/51 when Kamil was born but we've never had any confirmation as neither Masood or Zainab's age or date of birth has ever been disclosed.
  • Options
    Renegade MasterRenegade Master Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy Mitchell
  • Options
    Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawrence Cunningham and Daniel Osbourne, Ken's sons is CS have a 34 gap age difference between each other.
  • Options
    soapmadsoapmad Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Fowler . How old was she when she had Martin .
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she was that old, but it was a more judgemental time. Pauline was old and frumpy before her time - Wendy Richards was a glamour puss, as women often are well into their sixties and beyond these days.

Now, it's recognised that the older mother needs to take it easier, but if you're healthy, the baby stands a fine chance of health, and can benefit from having mature parents.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soapmad wrote: »
    Pauline Fowler . How old was she when she had Martin .

Pauline was 40 when she had Martin. Not the oldest parent, but older parents weren't as commonplace in the 1980's as they are now, as Billo said.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Lyn and Joe Scully had Oscar after Flick, Steph, Jack and Michelle.

dot and nick cotton?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Daniel Osbourne, not Adam. Adam is his grandson and Daniel's nephew. Daniel was born in 1995, On that note though, his mother Denise was 40 when she had him.

Yeah I meant t he one with the hair dresser:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyn and Joe Scully had Oscar after Flick, Steph, Jack and Michelle.

dot and nick cotton?

Oh yes I forgot about Joe and Lyn they did have Oscar late in life. The character of Lyn was 46 when she had Oscar but the actress playing her was actually 51. There was a 20+ age gap between him and their other kids.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    Dot and Cora
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyn Scully being mentioned has reminded me of Susan Kennedy when she became a surrogate for daughter Libby in 2009. Susan was 53 at the time! She miscarried however and obviously the baby wasn't conceived naturally but I think that makes her soaps oldest woman to fall pregnant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie's 50?!?

Shane Ritchie is, dont know about Alfie.