Options

Death in Paradise Season 5

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good idea, but I bet more would like to see Humphrey and Florence get it together. That's deliberately left as a possibility, because Florence hasn't had a love life written into her part.

I think if Florence cared about Humphrey she would have been a bit put out by Sally Bretton's character turning up.

She seemed totally happy and pleased for Humph.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if Florence cared about Humphrey she would have been a bit put out by Sally Bretton's character turning up.

Yes but that's just one episode, she could have completely disappeared by the next series. It's like a soap "where a kid is last seen going upstairs and is never seen again."

Those appearing in a series recorded so far away have to commit I'd suspect for several months, thus being unavailable for other work. It's a lot to ask someone to sign up for something that really is just a bit part.

My point is that the situation is created that there is always the possibility Humphrey and Florence will get together, it's been skirted around in scenes in past episodes, but of course it won't happen. It'd spoil the show.
    It'd be creating an; "and they lived happily ever after" situation, which suggests a conclusion.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bej wrote: »
    I've always thought this was a good acting gig for the actors (well mainly the guest actors). They do a bit of work in a beautiful, hot place. It's basically a holiday for them.

Different for the main actors of course, which is why Ben Miller quit, but I'm sure it's still better than filming in Britain on a wet and cold location shoot.

There was a UK based actor in Ep 1 of Series 1 (I can't remember his name) who was in the police cell because, I think, he had been drunk. He played no part at all in the main storyline. Now that was an easy gig.

Also the victims don't usually have much to do (except for the odd flashback), as they are often dead before the opening titles.
  • Options
    MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have really enjoyed this series, even if some of the murders weren't difficult to work out. I guessed the killer in this episode as well and I'm usually rubbish at that.

I liked the new romantic interest for Humph and I'd prefer that to work out rather than a relationship with Florence - I'd rather she had a boyfriend out of the group of main characters.
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another argument I want to use is that if the star is well known it is likely they are the murderer and are the focus.

We have seen it this series with Emma Rigby and Jill Halfpenny for example
  • Options
    stewartbstewartb Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    There was a UK based actor in Ep 1 of Series 1 (I can't remember his name) who was in the police cell because, I think, he had been drunk. He played no part at all in the main storyline. Now that was an easy gig.

Although a bit of a disappointment if you were expecting a free trip to Guadeloupe :o
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewartb wrote: »
    Although a bit of a disappointment if you were expecting a free trip to Guadeloupe :o

Perhaps he had travelled there with a friend who was in that episode so they decided to write in a small part for him?
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    The only way that will ever happen is if they decide to permanently end the programme.

The whole dynamic would change if Humphrey was attached.

It could be made to work but producers never seem brave enough to try. (Note that there is exactly the same thing going on in MSM).

Obviously I've only watched a tiny fraction of the TV series ever made, and no doubt there will be people jumping in to correct me, but the only non-romance based series I can remember where a will-they-won't they couple got together and stayed together is Frasier.

In all other cases I remember, where the series continued, the couple split up again very quickly - often during the inter-series break.

BIB - there can be all kinds of reasons why an actor may not appear in any subsequent series after an inter-series break, so a split up had to be essential. In DIP I think it would work for Humphrey to have a steady relationship, but not to Florence, as it would be too much like Richard & Camille!

Don't know about Frasier as I've never watched it. But in MSM both Barnabys have strong marriages/family lives. Nelson may have developed a relationship with the previous pm lady, but again there may have been reasons why she wasn't in latest series, so he didn't get the chance.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    BIB - there can be all kinds of reasons why an actor may not appear in any subsequent series after an inter-series break, so a split up had to be essential.

Possibly, but that doesn't explain why it happens just about every time.

I'm pretty sure that, in the main, the writers realise that they've broken the dynamic of the programme and just back out.
    In DIP I think it would work for Humphrey to have a steady relationship

I disagree. One of the fundamental dynamics of the programme is an unattached male inspector working with a similarly unattached and extremely attractive female sergeant in a way that is designed to make the audience think 'will they, won't they'.

That would fall completely flat if H was in a steady relationship.
    But in MSM both Barnabys have strong marriages/family lives.

Yes, but that relationship was established at the very start of the whole thing. It was never the result of a 'will they/won't they' story arc. (The second pair were a slot in replacement for the first [but with Sykes taking the place of Cully]).
    Nelson may have developed a relationship with the previous pm lady, but again there may have been reasons why she wasn't in latest series, so he didn't get the chance.

I don' think Nelson ever knew the previous pathologist.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. One of the fundamental dynamics of the programme is an unattached male inspector working with a similarly unattached and extremely attractive female sergeant in a way that is designed to make the audience think 'will they, won't they'.

Thats a very cliche storyline that has been done to death on TV.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a very cliche storyline that has been done to death on TV.

Absolutely true, and I very much doubt that they are going to stop using it any time soon.

Then again, virtually every murder plot has been recycled a few hundred times, so it's not as if it's in need of company in the cliché stakes.
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series was a let-down, and although I've complained about the same plot device (time-shifting) being used in successive episodes, on reflection I think it is because there is almost no characterisation in the core team.

The original team had Camille who was a fine detective in her own right, and Fidel who was smart and ambitious, with Dwayne as the lazy but experienced old hand with contacts. The team would collect the evidence, from which DI Poole would solve the case with a brilliant insight based on the team's work.

Now Camille has been replaced by Florence, whose main function is to chauffeur the boss around the island. Fidel was promoted and replaced by JP who is an empty suit whose job is to receive comically bad advice from the others. Even Humphrey's solutions seem more like brilliant flashes of insight rather than deductions from the evidence.

For the next series, the writers need to find proper roles for Florence and JP in particular.
  • Options
    VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, but that doesn't explain why it happens just about every time.

I'm pretty sure that, in the main, the writers realise that they've broken the dynamic of the programme and just back out.

Yes, but that relationship was established at the very start of the whole thing. It was never the result of a 'will they/won't they' story arc. (The second pair were a slot in replacement for the first [but with Sykes taking the place of Cully]).

I don' think Nelson ever knew the previous pathologist.

Yes, Nelson knew Kate very well. They lived in the same house, he rented a part of her house, so they shared living room and kitchen. Her parents came visiting, and both Nelson and Kate seemed to be an item then.

Yes, I know I am late to the party, but I could not help myself:D
  • Options
    VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Btw, the one with Kate's parents visiting was The Flying Club.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Looking forward to that
  • Options
    EVIL-MONKEYEVIL-MONKEY Posts: 53,872
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

Thanks for that, the BBC press release for the episode gives the synopsis for the first episode of Series 5!
  • Options
    MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, look forward to that.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wouldn't normally quote myself, but I note Sally Bretton is included in the regular cast list- so I assume that will be Humph's love interest.

Good to see all the regular names from series 5 are still in the cast list. I don't think the series could take many more cast changes.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Sean Maguire, ex of Grange Hill and Eastenders and currently playing Robin Hood in Once Upon A Time