Sky+ Frequently Asked Questions

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat1966 wrote: »
    I have them set up as default on my current Sky box, by that I mean that if a channel I watch has subtitles, they will automatically appear, what I need to know is if I tape a channel will the subtitles automatically appear if I set the Sky+ box to default subtitles?

The box is (I think) a Pace one and is fairly new. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Yes, the subtitles appear automatically but their may be a slight delay of a few seconds before they start after pressing the play button.
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I posted before regarding a Sky+ box. We took the plunge and had the box, fetched it tonight and tried to install it and had no luck at all, phoned Sky to pair the card to the box, and after a half hour call, wasn't able to get a signal and it looks as if it needs an engineer to come out and install it.

We would like to avoid this if possible so was wondering if there was any tips anyone could pass on regarding installing the box. We installed the large black lead from the box to the TV and the white lead from the ariel to the Sky+ box and just got a trying to find channels banner, we phoned Sky and they ran us through the installation, but they were saying they couldn't get a signal. We changed the boxes back over and I have a signal, in fact I am now watching Sky Sports News. We switched the whole system off for 1 minute and that didn't work, but what I am wondering is how can we have an signal for the Sky Digital box we currently have installed and yet when we swap over, we can get no signal at all for programmes, yet we can get the main screen showing all the types of programme and also all the installation details. As you can imagine, this has rather upset us as we were hoping to be able to use the recording facility over Christmas and New Year and can't at the moment.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat1966 wrote: »
    Hi, I posted before regarding a Sky+ box. We took the plunge and had the box, fetched it tonight and tried to install it and had no luck at all, phoned Sky to pair the card to the box, and after a half hour call, wasn't able to get a signal and it looks as if it needs an engineer to come out and install it.

okay, you seem to be missing the connection from the dish itself.

You have the aerial lead and the scart lead in place but there's another cable: thin round black (most likely) ending in a silver plug that's screwed (rather than pushed) onto the back of your sky box.

There should be two of the screw sockets on the back of the sky plus, not sure which you need to use if you only have one cable (I'm sure someone will advise) but if you have connected it to one and you get nothing, then connect it to the other.

The important thing here to note however is that to use the sky+ properly you need two feeds coming from the dish, and for that you'll probably need to have the engineer (or your installer friend) in anyway as as well as running a second lead from the dish they will most likely need to change the bit in the middle of the dish to one that can supply more than one feed.

Without the second feed you can only record the channel your watching, not watch one and record another - or record two channels at the same time.
  • HANHAM97HANHAM97 Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    we already have sky

do we need a new dish when we get sky +

The installer might put a 'new' one in if present dish is old.But normally you keep your dish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    i have deal or no deal on series link on my sky+, i have a problem with the box switching its self off very time i fastfoward the adverts, and it only happens when i record this program, any1 else experience this same problem?
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that when we cancel our sky subs, we lose pvr functionality, but that does also include playback of previously recorded items?
    Im sure the answer is yes, but would like a definitive answer please!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Do you need to keep the box plugged into the phone line at all times? Also if you do does it interfere with ADSL broadband?
  • andymcvandymcv Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Basic question and I'm sure the answer is out there. My Sky+ box isn't currently working.

If i ring sky and get a call out will they just give me a new/refurbished sky+ box.

Or should I get a sky HD box even though my tele is not HD ready.

I'm sure the answer is just to get a sky + box but look forward to your answers.

Cheers

Andy
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    If the installer has a Sky+ box which has been 'refurbished' in his van, you'll get that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this has been asked before but it is a long thread and folks are getting antsy.
    The Sky+ box has gone into 'standby' and will not start up at all now.
    When it first went, it could be started up, showed a channel for all of 10 seconds, the picture froze and then the box fell back into standby.
    Now it won't start up at all.
    I have tried the system reset and formatting solutions from the first page of this thread, but to no avail. There are sounds from the box, but nothing unusual and power is going into the box.
    Do you think the drive is knackered? The box is only just over 12 months old.
    Any help please before someone tears their hair out!!!
  • unorthodoxunorthodox Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hope so
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Quite honestly i am amazed that anyone bothers to pay Rupert Murdoch's BskyB organisation anything.
    OFCOM can't see how wrong it is that BskyB are using a plastic card to block other TV Networks.
    For example: Why do people have to buy a plastic Card to watch Fiver etc?
    Why do people have to pay Bsky B in order to record programs on Sky Plus.
    If you went into a shop and say bought a Video Recorder and the shop keeper said By the way you have to pay me an extra £10 per month to use your Video Recorder, you would tell him what he could do with his £10 per month, yet OFCOM who are paid by the tax payers of the UK allow this to happen!

It gets worse, it can cost over £1000 per year to watch HD Multiroom and no one can see how wrong this is?
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blonde7000 wrote: »
    If you went into a shop and say bought a Video Recorder and the shop keeper said By the way you have to pay me an extra £10 per month to use your Video Recorder, you would tell him what he could do with his £10 per month, yet OFCOM who are paid by the tax payers of the UK allow this to happen!

It gets worse, it can cost over £1000 per year to watch HD Multiroom and no one can see how wrong this is?

Plenty can see what's wrong with this, but quite frankly, we are powerless to do anything about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hi, I have had Sky+ HD for two years with no problems until now- if I try to record any channel five programme it fails saying no signal is being received; everything else works perfectly. Sometimes it works for say 10 minutes of the programme then breaks up. Any ideas please? Laurence
  • neon-lightningneon-lightning Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I am considering buying a 2nd hand Sky+ HD box to replace the standard Sky box that we have for the multiroom box.

Question is, how do I pair the Sky card that is in the existing Sky standard box to the 2nd hand Sky+ HD box and will the record function work on this box.
  • petestanpetestan Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am considering buying a 2nd hand Sky+ HD box to replace the standard Sky box that we have for the multiroom box.

Question is, how do I pair the Sky card that is in the existing Sky standard box to the 2nd hand Sky+ HD box and will the record function work on this box.

I am no expert but from what I understand you can simply ring sky up and tell them you have changed your box and they will pair the card to the new box.
    As for the record function do you currently have a subscription with them or have you cancelled it, if you do it will work if not it won't.
    Forum Member
    petestan wrote: »
    I am no expert but from what I understand you can simply ring sky up and tell them you have changed your box and they will pair the card to the new box.
    As for the record function do you currently have a subscription with them or have you cancelled it, if you do it will work if not it won't.

We currently have a sky subscription on the main sky+ hd box with hd pack and a multiroom subscription for the box I want to change to another sky+ hd box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We currently have a sky subscription on the main sky+ hd box with hd pack and a multiroom subscription for the box I want to change to another sky+ hd box.

In that case as soon as you ring them to pair the new box the subscription level and the record facility should move across to it, although as I understand it you have to pay an extra £10 for the HD sub. as it's £10 per box as far as I know.

Edit: You are aware you will need a 2nd feed to use the sky HD box your normal sky box only has 1 cable into it you need 2?
    Forum Member
    petestan wrote: »
    In that case as soon as you ring them to pair the new box the subscription level and the record facility should move across to it, although as I understand it you have to pay an extra £10 for the HD sub. as it's £10 per box as far as I know.

Edit: You are aware you will need a 2nd feed to use the sky HD box your normal sky box only has 1 cable into it you need 2?

Sky engineer kindly installed a double feed cable when he installed the multiroom
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it, hopefully I am correct I am sure someone will be along to correct me if I am not. Tried searching the sky.com help section to see if I could find anything but it was a waste of time. :)
    Forum Member
    If I were to use the installer menu on the box to do a new install, would that not pair up the card to the box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    anyone know why i cant pause on live programs or rewind ? i can do it on recordings just not live shows just get the mesg call helpline for assistance
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I hope someone can help,i have a sky+ box in my bedroom and i've just noticed that it's off.There's no lights on,even though i had it on standby.It's totally dead,i've checked cables,wire etc.The box downstairs is fine so obviously its this box.help!!
  • pash56pash56 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    Plenty can see what's wrong with this, but quite frankly, we are powerless to do anything about it.

hi you can try to do the same as i did,i rang and said i wanted ti cancel my whole package,when asked why i said i could not justify paying £10 for hd so i would leave and get virgin or bt vision,as they did not charge for hd,the reply came back ok sir i can remove that charge if you do not cancel.which he did thats 3 months ago, i know its call my bluff you can allways hold up if your getting no where
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got Sky+ installed yesterday, finally time to give the old original Pace box a well deserved break after 12yrs of continuous use.

Originally I had the old dish bolted to the chimney and cable feed down to the living room. The guy yesterday stated that they can no longer do roof work (yeah right!) and could only put new dish at front of house, so to cut a log story short I told him to go ahead and fire the dish up regardless, or I could run the risk of never getting him back. Anyway, what I noticed last night was interference on the channels, obviously coming from some source. Would it be possible the new cable fed into the living room is interferring with the cable belonging to the old dish which is still lying at the back of the telly? there is also a tv cable, and an old unused radio cable. I intended to leave the old cables alone for the time being, considering they were out of sight and out of mind. However if the old cables are the probable cause, looks like I'll have to brave the roof sooner than anticipated and extract the old cables up and out. Thanks!