Options

New Bush HD Freesat box ? Rev 3 ?

DSSRDSSR Posts: 22
Forum Member
I've been searching high and low all over the net about this.

I've got the Bush Freesat HD BFSAT01DH (Sw Ver : 2.2.6) and have just bought another for my daughter, I noticed her's is a BFSAT03HD with a USB socket on the back, different menu and the blue light is on when the box is active ( mine is on during standby ).

The remotes and menu system are also different.

Does anyone know what the overal difference between the two are ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't heard of one of those and it doesn't seem to be mentioned on the bushdigital website. I remember the first Bush HD box that I got had a really early version of firmware which had some recording features on it (though clearly nothing to record with) however it wouldn't pick up any channels, nor could it manage on OTA update so it had to go back. What I am wondering is perhaps they are going to support recording to a USB device or perhaps it has a built in MP3 player. Have you tried plugging a memory stick into the USB socket to see what happens?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KevinGB wrote: »
    IHave you tried plugging a memory stick into the USB socket to see what happens?

I'm going to try that today.

I went into Argos to see if they had any more, but they were all BFSAT01's.

Ironically the Argos order number has also changed from my 01 to my daughters 03

I might give Bush a call and see whats going on.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DSSR wrote: »
    Some pics
    Any pics of the front:D, or is it the same?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Any pics of the front:D, or is it the same?

The front is the same.

I think I might have a freak box ! Note it was made Oct 2010 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The front is the same.

I think I might have a freak box ! Note it was made Oct 2010 ?
    Doubt it could be a freak, seeming it has the newer 3 model number and the extra USB, it's not much of a surprise it hasn't been announced given Bush/Harvard's track record of customer contact.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Isn't Bush now one of Argos's own brand names anyway?.

Harvard did a deal with them over one of their brand names.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It recognises the USB stick !

The unit runs very cool, you wouldn't think it was switched on ( unlike the BFSAT01 which runs hot ).

The blue light is off when in standby mode ( which makes things easier )

The remote controls are specific to each unit. The one from box 01 does not operate box 03 and vice versa.

Sound appears better.

Menu system is wayyyyyyyy better.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe its in development and one somehow found it way into the retail line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It recognises the USB stick !
    Have you tried to play media files off it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does the TV button on the remote do? Can you use the remote to control your TV like a Sky remote?
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KevinGB wrote: »
    What does the TV button on the remote do? Can you use the remote to control your TV like a Sky remote?

Yes and likewise a DVD and Audio device.
    Codes to use to set up your remote are at the back of the manual.

Ooops - Sorry was distracted and forgot the subject was a Bush box - not a Humax - please ignore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe its in development and one somehow found it way into the retail line.

Could be ?

I've tried three Argos stores and none of the others have the 03 in stock.

The box had the new colour user manual and a large A4 quickstart guide.

In system information it says :

Model No : 02

HArdware Ver: V1.1

Software Version V2.0.2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Just got one of these, same version as DSSR.
    Originally bought a Bush BFSAT01HD for my parents to use, but this went faulty. Took it back and Argos exchanged it for a BFSAT03HD yesterday.
    However - I can't get the iPlayer to work! In the settings menu. the IP address says 'Not Connected'. I've plugged it in as before, same setup as the old Bush box which worked albeit badly (iPlayer kept crashing, requiring a reboot, and a message on screen appeared frequently saying there's a problem with your internet connection. I'm sure there isn't; a laptop on the same connection works with iPlayer. Eventually the old Bush BFSAT01HD got stuck in standby and had to be returned). When I received a newer model in exchange, I had high hopes that the previous problems would be solved. Unfortunately, no iPlayer at all now!
    The new model has 2 LEDs on the ethernet port which both light up when a cable is plugged in, the amber light flickers occasionally. However the box information menu says 'not connected' and the router does not show it as an attached device. I attempoted to set the IP address manually but this did not work either. After exiting the settings menu and re-entering, the IP numbers all reset to zero so didn't store.
    Also, on the IP settings menu, the MAC address is blank, nothing shown. The instruction manual says a number should be displayed there. Have I got a pre-production version that hasn't been programmed properly?
    Oh, and the user manual says the USB port is for factory software updates only. I was hoping it could record to a hard drive or play media from one, but no.
    To DSSR, I would be grateful if you could check your box works with iPlayer or at least obtains an IP address.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried turning your router and the Freesat box off at the mains? Leave them off for 20 seconds or so then power the router back on first.
  • Options
    rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there used to be a iplayer mac address setup page but that's gone only this left or try there 0871
    number 10p a minute
    i hoped the probs would be fixed with this box upgrade

http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/on-demand-tv/troubleshooting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Isn't Bush now one of Argos's own brand names anyway?.

Harvard did a deal with them over one of their brand names.
    Yes it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    h_k wrote: »
    To DSSR, I would be grateful if you could check your box works with iPlayer or at least obtains an IP address.

Just seen this.

I never tried mine with iPlayer, but I did have a mac address in the menu that has since dissapeared.

I now have two of these box's, but the other one is wrapped up for a present.

In the Menu > Settings > Network - it now has 'Revert to default settings' where it used to have the Mac address.

Software ver is V2.0.2 and I have the updates switched off because previous experience with the 01 Sat box was it stopped working after the updates .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    i have this exact same problem! picked this box up about 2 weeks ago and only just manged to get the iplayer working. the only way i can get it working is by pressing the red buttn, and typing the channel number in for iplayer then put the box into stanby for 10 min. Then turn back on and u will now have all the settings and mac address in the settings menu and iplayer will now Wrk! But the only problem is if you have the box off for longer than 30 min you have to do this process again? it is very strange
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i have this exact same problem! picked this box up about 2 weeks ago and only just manged to get the iplayer working. the only way i can get it working is by pressing the red buttn, and typing the channel number in for iplayer then put the box into stanby for 10 min. Then turn back on and u will now have all the settings and mac address in the settings menu and iplayer will now Wrk! But the only problem is if you have the box off for longer than 30 min you have to do this process again? it is very strange

Try resetting the box and see if the mac address re-appears.

This appears to be the new box from Bush and it heavily advertises iplayer compatibility. So either there will be a quick software upgrade or Argos will swapping out a lot of box's over Xmas.

I'm lucky its not an issue for me, running Lan cables all over the house is ( these days ) virtually prehistoric and going backwards.

If it was wifi, I might have made use of the function.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Yeah I use home plugs my xbox is write nxt to it so I can see if it's the plugs or. I'm gunn a give bush a ring today and see what they say/ or if they no off the prob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I'm having exactly the same problem. Does anybody know if a fix is on its way for this issue
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got one yesterday, and it had many of these issues. I tried manual settings (which I prefer on my network).and it would n't work. I looked the the network configuration from my router, and it showed a connection to the static address I had set although TV said not connected. I pinged the address, and suddenly it started working with TV showing press red to enter. Later on it crashed gain, and I just shut down box. This morning it works fine.

Incidentally, when I paused a prgram aprt way through upon restart no sound or vision.

Argos -I'll be back
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    I got one yesterday, and it had many of these issues. I tried manual settings (which I prefer on my network).and it would n't work. I looked the the network configuration from my router, and it showed a connection to the static address I had set although TV said not connected. I pinged the address, and suddenly it started working with TV showing press red to enter. Later on it crashed gain, and I just shut down box. This morning it works fine.

Incidentally, when I paused a prgram aprt way through upon restart no sound or vision.

Argos -I'll be back

Just realised how old this thread was - I must have been been supplie with a very old unit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    your not the only one with these problems.

I suspect these boxes suffer noise somewhere that bricks the network connection.

I have found that by powering off the box (by removing the power adapter connector) and then powering back on seems to bring the networking side back into life.

As for pausing and loosing sound on Iplayer, yes this happens to me.
    A work around I have found is when un-pausing BBC Iplayer, jump back in time a little and then the sound was working fine again.

I do not know what firmware / hardware revision my Bush HD receiver is (I am away from it at the moment) but I hope a firmware update comes out at some point.

The techie side of me says the power adapter could be introducing noise hence scrubbing the network connection.
    Depending upon voltage requirements and polarity of the mains adapter, I may try another power adapter and see if the problems exist still.