DS problems

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else having issues? Is this X factor related or something?

Forum pages taking forever to load/not loading at all, time-outs etc.

Comments

• Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem here, it is "smooth".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yes its x factor,,blame SYCO :D
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, too many XFactor fans posting. Overloading DS's bandwidth or database server. Happens every weeks at this time. God knows what they;re all posting about... I dread to go and look.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the X-Factor, every Saturday and Sunday evening they carry out a DDoS on the site and nothing ever gets done about it.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    yes its x factor,,blame SYCO :D

When I meant blame the X Factor, I didn't mean it was some sort of X-Factor/Syco taking-over-DS-conspiracy :D more along the lines of I keep seeing 'BREAKING NEWS' banners and assumed something was going on in the X Factor subforum :D (I don't watch, care about or understand it)

All other websites seem to be loading fine, hence I thought it was DS being glitchy
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, X Factor fans are overloading the server.

And then post in their threads just to complain that DS is running slow...they obviously don't do irony.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really are a nasty lot on that Xfactor forum!.. The mods do make acceptions for it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    They really are a nasty lot on that Xfactor forum!.. The mods do make acceptions for it

Really? Strange what people get passionate about. Might go take a quick look for a laugh,
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep - worse than ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep slow here too. Bloody annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    This is getting pathetic now, I don't see why the DS team don't just rent/hire an additional server or VPS for a day or few hours to cope with the extra demand :confused: a decent spec VPS is likely to only cost £20 to £50 for 24 hours.
  • Canard's BackCanard's Back Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    X-Factor - X-Factor after it's finished the bandwidth is going to wreak ya!!
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The F word is having a field day right now!
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should all start a campaign on Facebook to change our profile pictures to Simon Cowell's face in order to encourage him to stump up cash to keep Digital Spy running during his talent shows.

Just a thought... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is getting pathetic now, I don't see why the DS team don't just rent/hire an additional server or VPS for a day or few hours to cope with the extra demand :confused: a decent spec VPS is likely to only cost £20 to £50 for 24 hours.

They already have 'over 10' servers with full redundancy housed in London Docklands.

DS gets a hell of a lot of traffic, I think you are underestimating a little
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody posted a topic about a certain judges baby being ugly!... Which is just beyond vile
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    They already have 'over 10' servers with full redundancy housed in London Docklands.

Get a grip and stop moaning then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why are you moaning?

Who was moaning?

I didn't criticize DS, I was trying to determine if there was a connection/DNS issue 'my end' or not

Edit: Just seen you've changed your post slightly. Well that's just rude, especially seeing as I said NOTHING critical or moany.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

10 servers? Are those 10 DB & Web servers? Or is it 5DBs and 5 web servers?

Thought it would cope a bit better with that many machines in the farm. Maybe its the bandwidth thats the problem. Or maybe I'm totally underestimating the traffic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    10 servers? Are those 10 DB & Web servers? Or is it 5DBs and 5 web servers?

Thought it would cope a bit better with that many machines in the farm. Maybe its the bandwidth thats the problem. Or maybe I'm totally underestimating the traffic.

No idea on specifics, grabbed that info from their 'About Me' page.

If this gives any real idea, they also say they have 7 million unique visitors per month and 'over 100 million page impressions per month'.

I'm sure Tom (or someone else from DS) said something like only 1% of people who visit post regularly on the forum, so there are a HELL of a lot of people coming here :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Just been reading http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/about/technical/
    The network is designed such that at times of higher than usual demand, extra servers can, with relative ease, be switched in to serve requests at short notice.

Obviously not enough 'extra servers' :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow they really are into that show. Some of those threads are pretty nasty in that forum. Cant understand why anyone would get that passionate about an expensive karyoke contest. If only people would put their passions into something meaningful lthat mattered instead
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Tom (or someone else from DS) said something like only 1% of people who visit post regularly on the forum, so there are a HELL of a lot of people coming here :D
    Well they should trip the switch that makes the forums visible to registered users only.

"Simples", as a computer-generated anthropomorphic meerkat would say.
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else having issues? Is this X factor related or something?

Forum pages taking forever to load/not loading at all, time-outs etc.

It was totally shit about the same time you posted this.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah it was bad for me for a time as well, its ok now.