fire stations next to go

Comments

• glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firemen/women duties

responding immediately and safely to emergency calls and requests for assistance;
    attending emergency incidents including fires, road accidents, floods, bomb incidents, spillages of dangerous substances, and rail and air crashes;
    rescuing trapped people and animals;
    minimising distress and suffering, including giving first aid before ambulance crews arrive;safeguarding their own and other people's personal safety at all times;
    responding quickly to unforeseen circumstances as they arise;
    cleaning up and checking the site after dealing with an incident;
    taking time to become familiar with local streets, roads and buildings around their own and nearby fire stations in order to respond to emergency calls with the utmost speed and efficiency;
    inspecting and maintaining the appliance (fire engine) and its equipment, assisting in the testing of fire hydrants and checking emergency water supplies;
    undertaking drills and physical training and taking part in training on techniques, use of equipment and related matters; maintaining the level of physical fitness necessary to carry out all the duties of a firefighter;
    maintaining links with the local community and educating and informing the public to help promote fire safety, e.g. giving talks in schools and to local organisations, and home visits to offer advice.

And cat rescues for you in favour of cutting the service, and believe that's all they do

Who said anything about cutting?

I'm saying there is almost certainly scope for some saving not least by...for example...merging some services would save salary on the hierarchy could be spent on front line personnel, allow for greater economies of scale in purchasing etc.

And all the stuff about cats etc was pointing out that FIREs which endanger life are a very small percentage of the Fire Service business.

Why for example do our local fire brigade spend so much time on the 2 local motorways hosing down/spreading sand after RTAs...surely that would be better done by another service...one less well paid/skilled and leaving skilled and highly trained FIRE fighters available for that job?.

We have the idiocy locally of often having to call on help from neighbouring counties to fight real fires because a chunk of ours is tied up dealing with the aftermath of RTA's.

We really do need to get by the notion that our public services are perfect and that nothing could be done to save money and improve them without "cutting"...and I speak as someone spent close to thirty years working bloody hard in the public sector
  • ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly the system works, even in times of higher risk of flooding with global warming, terrorism, and motorway and serious accidents. Lets keep it that way.

If we can afford to pay bankers then sorry front line services should also be protected
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly the system works, even in times of higher risk of flooding with global warming, terrorism, and motorway and serious accidents. Lets keep it that way.

If we can afford to pay bankers then sorry front line services should also be protected

Oooo the first 'Bankers' reference in this thread, gold star:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No your not, the fire brigade do many jobs, they don't need call outs to many of their tasks or are we working on a call center set up, number of incoming calls is all that you looking at

Sorry, how does that explain they were still doing all those extra tasks and yet the demand has decreased?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sheesh it's that sort of thing does the public services in this country no good what so ever...on the basis of "don't even consider looking at whether it could be done better" the fire service in this country would still be run/organised/funded as it was pre 1865...by insurance companies.

Brought to you by Admiral, Churchill...and let's not forget Sheila's Wheels with their fleet of pink fire engines pulled by ponies with purple hair you can plait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Sorry, how does that explain they were still doing all those extra tasks and yet the demand has decreased?:confused:

I get it man, demand has gone down on fire brigades so lets 'reform' cut / close them down, and you wrote post after post about cows in ditches, and cats up tress, chainsaw, education about cat climbing prevention

crime is rising and there are more incidents but you're against employing more Police officers on the basis there's obviously more demand for them

So to sum up,

less call outs for fire brigade = make cuts to fire services

More call out for crime = make cuts to the Police

that right tory-trucker?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get it man, demand has gone down on fire brigades so lets 'reform' cut / close them down, and you wrote post after post about cows in ditches, and cats up tress, chainsaw, education about cat climbing prevention

crime is rising and there are more incidents but you're against employing more Police officers on the basis there's obviously more demand for them

So to sum up,

that right tory-trucker?

Crime is rising?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So to sum up,

that right tory-trucker?

Most of that was me not trunkster...which probably means you also missed that no where did I say we should "cut" any fire service provision...only take a good look at how we organise/fund and provide those services in the context of the 21st century...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crime is rising?

Sure is, 20% cuts by the conservative Government has led to an increase in crime, who'd have thought it, eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure is, 20% cuts by the conservative Government has led to an increase in crime, who'd have thought it, eh?

Really?...............................
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jul/14/crime-statistics-england-wales
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Article two years old and a year into the CON/LIB term, I think it's fair to say since the cuts hadn't been made by then crime wasn't likely to have risen, and most of the cuts are still to happen, so are you predicting when these cuts are fully in place crime to be at the same level?

Even your link has 2011 in the type
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Article two years old and a year into the CON/LIB term, I think it's fair to say since the cuts hadn't been made by then crime wasn't likely to have risen, and most of the cuts are still to happen, so are you predicting when these cuts are fully in place crime to be at the same level?

Are you unable to read as well?
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has nothing to do with population growth, if it was how has demand decreased over the last 10 years. Are you saying we haven't had a population increase the last 10 years then?

Call out to fires have decreased, I'm sure heart attacks have gone down also, perhaps we need less Doctors, correct?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »
    So fire incidents are down by 40% but you're quite happy to keep paying the same are you?

I'll bet if your electricity consumption went down by 40% you'd be pretty upset if your power bills stayed the same.

Wouldn't the money be better spent on more needy areas?

Fires down attending road accidents is going up every year, look at the ambulance service most of them can longer reach there targets to get to people in time, that they are ment to
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Fires down attending road accidents is going up every year,

Nah it's fine, we just let the victims of car crashes cut themselves out of their cars. Gotta think of the savings. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Call out to fires have decreased, I'm sure heart attacks have gone down also, perhaps we need less Doctors, correct?

I've no idea, this is a thread about fire stations.
    Why don't you start another thread asking that question?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So which of the recommendations in the report do you disagree with?

Privatisation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea, this is a thread about fire stations.
    Why don't you start another thread asking that question.

It was a rhetorical question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    It was a rhetorical question.

That was a rhetorical response
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    I saw the Tories are privatising the Royal Mail. Is this the sum of their economic policy. :rolleyes:
    Prices have already been hiked two or 3 times since they got in.But soon there wont be anything left for them to wreck /privatise.

Weren't stamp prices relatively static for several years until it was realised that they had to go up? Royal Mail wasn't exactly swimming in profits.

I think they've been going up a lot longer than the Conservatives have been in power, so you can avoid the tenuous link to the present government.
  • mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member

Well how about this one from 3 weeks ago

"Crime rate keeps falling despite austerity"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/25/crime-rates-falling-austerity
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a rhetorical response

Touché.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well how about this one from 3 weeks ago

"Crime rate keeps falling despite austerity"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/25/crime-rates-falling-austerity

I see those statistics didn't include online crime
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also crime rates show they were highest just as labour came into power and were brought down to the lowest level in 20 years so a good place for the Tories to start off from
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh look, it's rocket science time.

A service is in less demand.

Possibly because of actions to reduce it.

Perhaps increasing such actions might reduce demand further.

I'd be happy if we needed hardly any fire and rescue if it was because of hardly any incidents.

And the.firefighters will be fine, with all the other jobs and skills they've got.

So I am a bit confused as to why the cynicism from the pro cuts lobby.

But then again this is DS.

ETA might not bee god for the private sector though, equipment suppliers, insurance and their supply chains.