BBC ONE HD dog

terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What was all the fuss about the BBC ONE HD dog for ??

You can hardly see it!!

just goes to show that if we wait to see what something IS like instead of moaning what it may be like we can sometimes be pleasantly surprised!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree, as much as I hate DOG's, this is one of the better ones.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the other channels should take a leaf out of the BBC's book. (Channel bleedin' Five in particular - 2 DOGs on HD programmes... I mean WHAT?!?)

Well done Auntie.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as well I didn't actually want to watch The One Show, because I switched on at three minutes to seven to witness the grand launch and the programme was already under way!

If I can measure time accurately - surely the BBC can! What is going on?
  • LengsterLengster Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance of a picture? (For those of us currently suffering at uni with a 14" SDTV.)
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Just as well I didn't actually want to watch The One Show, because I switched on at three minutes to seven to witness the grand launch and the programme was already under way!

It always starts early. No idea why :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »

The one show always starts a few minutes early, The intros are the cue for me to change channel:D
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrykl wrote: »
    It is smaller now, it has been reduced to a 2/3 of the size of the original one and is 2/3 less far into the screen.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can hardly see it!!

just goes to show that if we wait to see what something IS like instead of moaning what it may be like we can sometimes be pleasantly surprised!!
    I think Danielle Nagler was winding everybody up before launch time!
  • terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I think Danielle Nagler was winding everybody up before launch time!

I think a number posters were winding themselves up before launchtime!!;)
  • mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it still annoys me. Very obvious on certain shots. The trick psychology of using a worse one on the test transmission doesn't impress me.

And once it's there, you can bet they'll be cranking up the opacity over time, now that the marketing department have taken over (as Nagler openly tells us).

The only good DOG is a dead DOG.

And the usual argument applies: if you don't mind it, fine, but unless you actively prefer there to be one (and it seems at least one person posting here does!) then what could be your objections against those who don't want it?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC1-HD dog is about the best we could have hoped for so well done on that score.

Now just make the BBC-HD dog as small and unobtrusive and we'll all (mostly all) be happy. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mwardy wrote: »
    Well, it still annoys me. Very obvious on certain shots. The trick psychology of using a worse one on the test transmission doesn't impress me.

And once it's there, you can bet they'll be cranking up the opacity over time, now that the marketing department have taken over (as Nagler openly tells us).

The only good DOG is a dead DOG.

And the usual argument applies: if you don't mind it, fine, but unless you actively prefer there to be one (and it seems at least one person posting here does!) then what could be your objections against those who don't want it?

What a childish attitude!!
    Because a number of us find it less noticeable than it could have been does NOT mean that we like the dogs!!

Then you finding it hard to believe that to normal people it is
    not a distraction go off on another tack of doom and gloom
    "you bet they'll be cranking up the opacity"
    Get a life!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mwardy wrote: »
    I don't think it was trick psychology, the DOG doesn't look like it is designed to be small so I think it was reduced in response to complaints. One thing that doesn't seem to be clear yet, are they going to remove it on upscaled programmes? It would be nice to have some indication of whether HD or upscaled on the EPG also as ITV1 HD has.
    Well that's exactly what ITV1 HD did do.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs are annoying even if liveable with.

At the end of the day there's simply no need for them, if you're unsure what channel you're on then its never more than a press of the "i" button away.

They're simply there as advertising for the channels at the expense of the viewer in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're simply there as advertising for the channels at the expense of the viewer in my opinion.
    There isn't any evidence that they work as advertising either:D. I can say right now if a channel has a DOG is only going to make me more reluctant to watch it rather than go oooh a DOG must watch that again for the next DOGGed episode:rolleyes:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a childish attitude!!
    Because a number of us find it less noticeable than it could have been does NOT mean that we like the dogs!!

Childish? It's hard to discern much sense of discontentment in this:

You can hardly see it!!

And now you say
    Then you finding it hard to believe that to normal people it is
    not a distraction go off on another tack of doom and gloom

So which is it? Are you saying it isn't a distraction...but you don't like it? Why not?
    Do you think they won't try? What happened to the 'no logo on certain genres' rule on BBC 4? Forgotten that? How long do you think the same rule will last on BBC HD now? Why do you think they are doing any of this? (I had an e-mail recently that underlined they will not apply it to all dramas on the HD channel as it stands.) And you could have the courtesy to quote me correctly.
    Get a life!!
    And what's this? What an unaccountably rude person you are. :confused:
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    There isn't any evidence that they work as advertising either:D. I can say right now if a channel has a DOG is only going to make me more reluctant to watch it rather than go oooh a DOG must watch that again for the next DOGGed episode:rolleyes:.
    Showcase TV has had no DOG for about a week now, I don't know why but perhaps you should stick to that for DOG-free entertainment ;)

Edit: actually the DOG is back today, so that's out of the question..
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Well that's exactly what ITV1 HD did do.
    Speaking of ITV: Why the need to put their logo on the screen twice for the football? :rolleyes:
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member

You can hardly see it!!

I think not.

Danielle responded to the complaints and critical comments and well done to her and her department.

If unsatisfactory things are blindly accepted in the hope that they will improve, usually nothing gets done and your attitude smacks of that. What was a bad DOG is now a good DOG, woof. Well done BBC and those who brought it to their attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Showcase TV has had no DOG for about a week now, I don't know why but perhaps you should stick to that for DOG-free entertainment ;)
    My point was DOGs do not make people watch a channel more, I don't need a DOG on Film4 to make me watch it (and, I do regularly) so why do we need it for other channels:). I can see a possible need on music channels where you flick over from channel to channel every minute or so for a new song, but for channels where we watch things for 1/3 hour plus there is just no need for them at all.
    gomezz wrote: »
    Speaking of ITV: Why the need to put their logo on the screen twice for the football? :rolleyes:
    Yes tis' annoying Sky Sports don't do it, it can't be that hard to have separate scorecards for the SD and HD channels if they can manage to put the DOG on one but not the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    IWhat was a bad DOG is now a good DOG, woof. Well done BBC.

There is no good DOG except...! :D
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does the itv1 hd DOG flip to the other side of the screen when the football is on?
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AppleTango wrote: »
    Why does the itv1 hd DOG flip to the other side of the screen when the football is on?

So it's out of the way of the score graphics... Even though it wouldn't overlap would look out of place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    The BBC HD DOG has now been moved far more left to the corner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I think not.

Danielle responded to the complaints and critical comments and well done to her and her department.

If unsatisfactory things are blindly accepted in the hope that they will improve, usually nothing gets done and your attitude smacks of that. What was a bad DOG is now a good DOG, woof. Well done BBC and those who brought it to their attention.

As Ms Nagler happily ignored thousands of complaints about the dip in PQ on BBC HD.I hardly think that a handful of posters on here complaining about the size of a dog would cause her to make sudden changes.
    You know nothing of my attitude.I was one of those who used the BBC HD PQ blog to voice my displeasure at the drop in bitrates and also added my name to the petiton sent to the then Prime Minister.

I find it more sensible to complain when there is something to complain about.
    Your way of doing things"complaining about something that may happen" but then doesn't tends to leave the complainant looking foolish!!