Why Do People Still Read The Sun

charmarrcharmarr Posts: 599
Forum Member
✭✭
I was watching Newsnight last night.They were discussing the enquiry going on at the moment.
Anne Diamond was on the programme.It was horrific what that so called newspaper did to her.
I was thinking about the things they have printed over the years and wondered why it is still so popular.
Is it really only people with the lowest intelligence who buy it?

Comments

• GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are probably many people whose only source of news is the Sun. They probably don't even know this investigation is taking place.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told the reading age of the Sun (and similar 'rags') was seven, and that if we wanted to do well in our English exams we would have to read the Guardian or The Herald because it's a higher reading age.

Some people aren't great readers, they get what they want from the Sun without needing to ponder over what words mean.

Also aren't their sports pages meant to be good? Many men will read it for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people buzz off reading about the misfortunes of those better off I guess.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Page 3

[/thread]
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the Sun as a quick light hearted get the gist of basic news/celebs/goss etc. There is nothing wrong with my reading age or my intelligence. I did switch to (i) when it first came out as that is a bitesize paper but not enough crass showbiz goss for me and I do like that I am afraid - despite taking most of it with a pinch of salt! Oh and of course where would I be without Mystic Meg telling me Luck sees a purple door with the number 7 in Gold!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheaper than toilet roll, and its great for lining the cat litter tray, my cat won't crap on any other newspaper. :)
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Quality journalism. And the page 3 girls have the most intelligent, insightful comments of any tabloid or broadsheet. Plus they've got great tits.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't read it, they look at the pictures.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    Quality journalism. Plus the page 3 girls have the most intelligent, insightful comments of any tabloid or broadsheet. Plus they've got great tits.

I didn't know they had an ornithology section...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told the reading age of the Sun (and similar 'rags') was seven, and that if we wanted to do well in our English exams we would have to read the Guardian or The Herald because it's a higher reading age.

Some people aren't great readers, they get what they want from the Sun without needing to ponder over what words mean.

Also aren't their sports pages meant to be good? Many men will read it for that.

I tend to find Guardian articles too bloated, I don't have much interest in the Sun either.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've got older I've had my eyes opened to what this horrible little rag represents, blatant voter manipulation by the powerful tory elite. I don't mind an easy read but you don't have to sink to this level.

The Daily Mail is probably even worse.

Add to this the totally unprincipled journalistic approach of most tabloid hacks it really makes you wonder how they ever got away with it. Now they may face legal curbs which will damage free speech, all for what? A fast buck that's what.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Glengavel wrote: »
    I didn't know they had an ornithology section...

They have. Every second Tuesday on page 34. Next to the instant relief chat lines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    According to my parents because it is-

-Cheap
    -Has a good sports section
    -Has a good TV magazine on saturdays

I can't stand it though, wouldn't even wipe my arse on it. I prefer The Guardian or The Times. But I can't really afford them being a student, so I usually just read the articles online and read the Metro, which is pretty good considering it is free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    As I've got older I've had my eyes opened to what this horrible little rag represents, blatant voter manipulation by the powerful tory elite. I don't mind an easy read but you don't have to sink to this level.

The Daily Mail is probably even worse.

Add to this the totally unprincipled journalistic approach of most tabloid hacks it really makes you wonder how they ever got away with it. Now they may face legal curbs which will damage free speech, all for what? A fast buck that's what.

I totally agree with this. The power they have over the public is shocking. Every person I spoke to who voted Tory in the last election was quoting The Sun in their reasons to do so. People are so easily influenced :sleep:
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    I always find myself kind of shaking my head in disbelief when I see people just openly taking the S*n off the shelf in my local shop . Its like "coming out " about your stupidity ,I genuinely wouldnt want to debate with a S*n reader about anything .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can get the "I" for 20p, its a great quick read with very little celeb crap or right wing propaganda.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    It's light entertainment, and it lasts through lunch.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Because they're thick and ignorant.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    A321 wrote: »
    Quality journalism. And the page 3 girls have the most intelligent, insightful comments of any tabloid or broadsheet. Plus they've got great tits.

I dare you to come to Liverpool were it's still boycotted & not just by Liverpool FC fans & say that. Quality journalism my foot, The Beano is a better read than that rag, & i haven't read The Beano since the 80s.
  • sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _drak wrote: »
    It's light entertainment, and it lasts through lunch.
    Blimey it takes you that long to read it.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is absolutely horrific the way they behaved to her. :( But as Anne Diamond herself is prone to writing the odd trashy tabloid article she knows people enjoy gossip. Gossip sells. I just don't think people realise or care the extent some journalists will go to get it and what it is like to be on the receiving end.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only read the local rag, but I wonder why anybody reads the Guardian? although judging by the circulation figures, nobody does.:rolleyes:
  • Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    It's cheap and has boobies.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People like tawdry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I only read the local rag, but I wonder why anybody reads the Guardian? although judging by the circulation figures, nobody does.:rolleyes:

If it wasn't for the Guardian we'd have a very right wing media organisation in almost total control of information, luckily we also have the BBC to redress the balance

There is the Independant too but that has even lower readership, but its a quality newspaper that helps keep the flow of information less biased.