Options

Internet Gambling is Getting Out of Hand

Comments

• Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember when I could buy two games a month for £4.

And this was 25 to 30 years ago. You're actually getting a bargain at today's prices, given rates of inflation over that time, as well as the massive increase in complexity and quality.

But on-line gambling is a real issue. My previous employer decided to cut funding to the 3d games section (we produced free to play, ad-funded games) and invested in on-line slot machines and card games.

The company made over 300,000 euros in the first five days of operation and that figure only increased over time, before I left. The whole industry essentially has a license to print money, and because it's all digital transactions, it makes it very hard to keep track of what you're spending.
  • Options
    MCC243MCC243 Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    If a alcoholic had lodgings in a pub, people would say to move out. Gambling ruins just as many lives as alcohol and yet its allowed in their home.dangling the carrot.

That's a poor analogy. Drinking in the home is a better comparison and that is allowed.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MCC243 wrote: »
    That's a poor analogy. Drinking in the home is a better comparison and that is allowed.

Its actually not poor. You have to go out to get your booze or at least get it delivered and that takes time

With gambling you can be watching a film and there is the carrot right there during the commercials
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its actually not poor. You have to go out to get your booze or at least get it delivered and that takes time

With gambling you can be watching a film and there is the carrot right there during the commercials

It was. You compared gambling in the home to having lodgings in a pub, completely missing the fact people can drink in the home.

Everybody goes shopping, it's no more difficult to pick up booze than to gamble online. Two minute walk to my nearest shop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was.

Everybody goes shopping, it's no more difficult to pick up booze than to gamble online.

You cannot hit a button on your PC/ laptop or phone and be hitting the bottle in seconds.

When you go to the shops you have time to think and talk yourself out of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You cannot hit a button on your PC/ laptop or phone and be hitting the bottle in seconds.

When you go to the shops you have time to think and talk yourself out of it.

I've amended my post. Read it again.

It also takes a few minutes to create an account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've amended my post. Read it again.

It also takes a few minutes to create an account.

I am not going to argue with your nit picking.. Its far faster and easier to gamble online that it is to go to the shop for booze. unless you live next door or right near a 24 hour supermarket.

Gambling 24 hours a day at your finger tips and adverts pushing it all day and night on the TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #1 You only bet what you can afford to lose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not going to argue with your nit picking.. Its far faster and easier to gamble online that it is to go to the shop for booze. unless you live next door or right near a 24 hour supermarket.

Gambling 24 hours a day at your finger tips and adverts pushing it all day and night on the TV.

I don't disagree (although there are off licences nearer to the home) but that wasn't what you said.

Nit picking over!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The adverts are that terrible im surprised they work.

Ladbrokes with that Tiziano bloke shouting

WillHill with that annoying music

Bet365 with "Raymundo"

BetVictor with Paddy McGuinness
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Dads cousin got into the bingo and after her first month she'd spent £500 :eek:

She would be drinking at the same time. She gave the bingo up after that month :D
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Zmiler7 wrote: »

My Granddad used to say that as well as adding "And if you can afford to lose it then you don't need any more"
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think its banning that's necessarily needed. I think its more the ways it promoted and the type of advertising used. Someone else said one of the problems is that in many ways if often doesn't feel like "real"money. One thing I've seen from bingo and slot sites is if you don't use time for a while they bombard you with emails trying to get you back. Even worse many of them continue to do this even if you unsubscribe from their emails and close your account.

I've never been a gambler but I can see how even at 10p a go on the slots how you can spend huge amounts of cash very quickly. I certainly can see people getting carried away easily and spending way more than intended. As I say I can well see people being blind to the amount they are spending in a way that would be different if they were actually drawing it out from a cash point..
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,927
    Forum Member
    The majority of these "internet gamblers" would have been in the bookies or down the bingo hall if the internet didnt exist. The internet didnt turn them into gamblers, thier own weak will did.
    The only thing the internet is to blame for is thier weight gain, because they have no reason to walk now. :p

How do you know that? I gamble online now and never did when you had to go to the bookies.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    How do you know that? I gamble online now and never did when you had to go to the bookies.

Bookies have always been dominated by working-class men and they've never been women-friendly, and they also can be intimidating and confusing if you've never been before, whereas internet gambling is available to all classes, races and genders, it's a much bigger market.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zmiler7 wrote: »

Very true. That's the golden rule. That way it can be a recreation activity like any other. They always say you rarely meet a poor Bookie!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I don't really trust online gambling anyway. So easy for them to fix it.

I was wondering about this to. Why gamble on something so easily fixable :confused:

I say leave them to it, I can't say what people choose to waste their money on is of great concern to me
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,927
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I was wondering about this to. Why gamble on something so easily fixable :confused:

I say leave them to it, I can't say what people choose to waste their money on is of great concern to me

How do they fix football and horse racing?
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultimately it's down to individual, no matter how large the gambling market gets.

I get annoyed seeing constant adverts for these types of sites but they'll be old hat soon enough when the next fad comes through.

As a rule of thumb I've noticed in most (if not all poker) ads that the men are always dressed in suit with a black shirt, silver belt buckle showing,....ie overly promoting it's a mans game and it's a quick hit to living the 'James Bond' lifestyle. It's beyond cringe....
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I play Poker online (PKR) I put up $20 about 3 years ago and I am stil using it , I enjoy playing but I am not hooked

just entertainment, is it not?

I am similar on Will Hill. (and others)

I rarely have to reload. At small stakes, you get serious entertainment for very little

Fester - try sharkscope.com - they know all about you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    And this was 25 to 30 years ago. You're actually getting a bargain at today's prices, given rates of inflation over that time, as well as the massive increase in complexity and quality.

But on-line gambling is a real issue. My previous employer decided to cut funding to the 3d games section (we produced free to play, ad-funded games) and invested in on-line slot machines and card games.

The company made over 300,000 euros in the first five days of operation and that figure only increased over time, before I left. The whole industry essentially has a license to print money, and because it's all digital transactions, it makes it very hard to keep track of what you're spending.

well they aren't making any of it from me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

is that serious?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ultimately it's down to individual, no matter how large the gambling market gets.

I get annoyed seeing constant adverts for these types of sites but they'll be old hat soon enough when the next fad comes through.

As a rule of thumb I've noticed in most (if not all poker) ads that the men are always dressed in suit with a black shirt, silver belt buckle showing,....ie overly promoting it's a mans game and it's a quick hit to living the 'James Bond' lifestyle. It's beyond cringe....

when in truth, 90% are casually dressed (jeans and t-shirts) young europeans. but it definitely is mainly a man's game. very few female winners of WSOP bracelets ever.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is that serious?

Obviously they can be fixed, but it won't make a difference whether you placed your bets online or at a traditional bookies.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a group of acquaintances who use skype and texting while they play in the same poker rooms online .They just share their winnings out . Thats one scam they can never stop .