Bizarre Radio 2 Cover Presenters

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boey wrote: »
    Talking of Claudia, Chris Evans is covering her show on Friday night.

Has this got too do with the Commonwealth Games? Is he not presenting the one show?
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walt Ham wrote: »
    I thought John Bishop's second show in the Norton slot was better than his first, good chat with Nicholas Parsons. I also like Keilty. As for those who say send for Simon Bates, I always found him insufferable in his Radio 1 days. Must be something wrong with me.......

Anyone is better than the annoying Graham Norton. He's just awful to listen to.

How much is he paid a show? Does anyone know? I hate him!
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Made you wish for Claudia Winkleman to return.

Ken must be off soon for a couple of weeks, my guess is that he will be away once he's finished his shows from the Commonwealth Games. I wonder if it'll be Michael Ball that covers?

I can confirm that Michael Ball sits in for Ken from monday august 4.In other cover news Ryan Tubridy fills in for Simon Mayo starting next monday O.J Borg is sitting in for Alex Lester next week, and Anna Matronic is sitting in f or Jo Whiley next week

Future stand ins for Graham Norton include Lee Mack and..Patrick Kielty (sorry). Also the arts show w il be presented by Chris Evans Jeremy Vine Anneka Rice, Simon Mayo, Vanessa Feltz and Ken Bruce over the next few weeks while Claudia takes the entire summer off.

Full details of cover presenters here http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/07/comedians-and-singers-cover-bbc-radio-2/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penny Smith is sitting in for Vanessa feltz starting monday august 4 while Vanessa does Jeremy Vines show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Penny Smith is sitting in for Vanessa feltz starting monday august 4 while Vanessa does Jeremy Vines show

Does that mean BBC London have to get two people to cover their shows?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can confirm that Michael Ball sits in for Ken from monday august 4.In other cover news Ryan Tubridy fills in for Simon Mayo starting next monday O.J Borg is sitting in for Alex Lester next week, and Anna Matronic is sitting in f or Jo Whiley next week

Future stand ins for Graham Norton include Lee Mack and..Patrick Kielty (sorry). Also the arts show w il be presented by Chris Evans Jeremy Vine Anneka Rice, Simon Mayo, Vanessa Feltz and Ken Bruce over the next few weeks while Claudia takes the entire summer off.

Full details of cover presenters here http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/07/comedians-and-singers-cover-bbc-radio-2/

Patrick Kielty is a comedian and singer now. :o
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,684
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Does that mean BBC London have to get two people to cover their shows?

Penny will finish at 6.30am, there's no reason why she can't be at the BBC London studio by 7am so Paul could run solo for the first hour?
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick Kielty is a comedian and singer now. :o

He certainly isn't a presenter on a national music station.........oh wait a minute............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 2 are a bit stretched for cover DJs the week after next. Alex Lester, ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine and Simon Mayo are all on holiday. Contrary to what I said before Chris Evans is NOT on holiday that week though. I think maybe he thought he had enough time off lately so he's cancelled his holiday !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 2 are a bit stretched for cover DJs the week after next. Alex Lester, ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine and Simon Mayo are all on holiday. Contrary to what I said before Chris Evans is NOT on holiday that week though

Lots of DJs around they continue too use celebs. It's amazing how much money is wasted. It's our money ladies and gentlemen. The ones who can't run the desks are maned by who? Oh tech guys who the beeb cut back on too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of DJs around they continue too use celebs. It's amazing how much money is wasted. It's our money ladies and gentlemen. The ones who can't run the desks are maned by who? Oh tech guys who the beeb cut back on too.

I've heard that they might be letting Tony Blackburn sit in for Steve Wright for a whole week later this year. Is that a welcome move?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard that they might be letting Tony Blackburn sit in for Steve Wright for a whole week later this year. Is that a welcome move?

That would be poptastic.
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pity they don't let Tony Blackburn sit in whenever Chris, Ken, Steve or Simon are off on holiday.

A proper DJ rather than "stars" who wouldn't get a gig on Tinpot FM in the real world.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Tony Blackburn should have his own weekday show IMO. He would be better than any of them, but he probably wouldn't want it. I tuned in to Paul O'Grady on Sunday and heard this shrieking caterwauling and immediately switched off again. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and had to go to the Radio 2 website to find out who was covering. What on earth were they thinking? I couldn't listen to John Bishop either. Can't they find proper radio presenters?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    Tony Blackburn should have his own weekday show IMO. He would be better than any of them, but he probably wouldn't want it. I tuned in to Paul O'Grady on Sunday and heard this shrieking caterwauling and immediately switched off again. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and had to go to the Radio 2 website to find out who was covering. What on earth were they thinking? I couldn't listen to John Bishop either. Can't they find proper radio presenters?

Radio 2 is becoming frankly unlistenable to at the weekends with these dreadful 'celebrity' presenters
  • George!George! Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    At least you know when Vine's off the replacement will always be better, he is that awful. Even the annoying Vanessa Feltz is a huge improvement. It's a shame they don't give the slot to Paddy O'Connell permanently. Or better still, Jane Garvey - that would also put a break in the otherwise Testosterone FM.

I agree with the person who suggested using jocks from the BBC Locals as guest presenters. There are a lot of highly talented people working in these stations up and down the country that put these Radio 2 clowns to shame. So what if they aren't exactly A-listers, wouldn't Joe and Josephine Listener generally prefer an unknown professional who is good at their job over some talentless ex-reality TV star?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George! wrote: »
    At least you know when Vine's off the replacement will always be better, he is that awful. Even the annoying Vanessa Feltz is a huge improvement. It's a shame they don't give the slot to Paddy O'Connell permanently. Or better still, Jane Garvey - that would also put a break in the otherwise Testosterone FM.

I agree with the person who suggested using jocks from the BBC Locals as guest presenters. There are a lot of highly talented people working in these stations up and down the country that put these Radio 2 clowns to shame. So what if they aren't exactly A-listers, wouldn't Joe and Josephine Listener generally prefer an unknown professional who is good at their job over some talentless ex-reality TV star?

What ex-reality TV star have Radio 2 employed?
    Forum Member
    I don't know, I wasn't suggesting they have. I was giving an example for the sake of my argument. But I do take the point that I could've made it clearer.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught a bit of his show yesterday morning. While I find his dulcet Scouse tones vomit inducing he did play Split Enz - Message To My Girl, which is a change from I Got You.

One of my bug bears about Radio 2 and a lot of big stations. Artists have more than one song, although you wouldn't think it.

I heard some of Bishop's show on Saturday and although his accent does grate on me (I normally have no problem with a Scouse accent but his is annoying!) and TBH I didn't mind him. He seemed genuinely interested in his guests (Nicholas Parsons and Mark Billingham) and did good interviews IMO. I don't know whether Norton is trying to sound uninterested on purpose, but recently he's sounded like he couldn't wait to finish the show and get out. At least Bishop sounds like he is enjoying doing the show.

I agree about the artists only having one song. If I was a radio station controller I would lock Hotel California, All Right Now, Maggie May and Mr Blue Sky with a "Don't Play Till 2024” instruction on them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I don't know whether Norton is trying to sound uninterested on purpose but recently he's sounded like he couldn't wait to finish the show and get out. At least Bishop sounds like he is enjoying doing the show.

With Graham Norton it's all about Graham Norton.

Everything else comes second. His tired show I would love to see removed and someone with less ego and more enthusiasm in his place
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to hear a lot of things about Radio 2. Well informed or just someone taking wild guesses in the hope that something comes off, I bet you none of what you have suggested happens, especially the "new daytime lineup in October" you predicted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George! wrote: »

Paddy O'Connell is sitting in for Jeremy august 11-15
    Forum Member
    Paddy O'Connell is sitting in for Jeremy august 11-15
    That's excellent news! Shame it's only for a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Allinson is sitting in for Chris 11-15 August I read on another thread and Michael Ball is sitting from 4th August.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Radio 2 is becoming frankly unlistenable to at the weekends with these dreadful 'celebrity' presenters

Brian Matthews, Tony Blackburn and Johnnie Walker excepted.