Options

A New Chryed?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
Forum Member
✭✭
I know Christian and Syed can never be replaced, their story was pretty groundbreaking for EastEnders but will we see another Chryed in the future? we have Tina and Sonia but what about the Boys?

Comments

• Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny and ben would of been good but Johnnys gone :(
  • Options
    SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DTC did say there is a new gay character coming in a few months.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I know Christian and Syed can never be replaced, their story was pretty groundbreaking for EastEnders but will we see another Chryed in the future? we have Tina and Sonia but what about the Boys?

I hated Chryed with an absolute passion. It was so contrived and IMO it was only the religious and prejudice views on Syed's family that made it remotely interesting.

It would be hard to do a similar story of forbidden love without it being similar to all the others before it.

If they do 'recreate' this story I only hope the characters are more likeable. Christian was utterly vile and Syed was like a wet lettuce IMO.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandsss wrote: »
    DTC did say there is a new gay character coming in a few months.

I thought it was a transgender character?
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »

Same thing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I hated Chryed with an absolute passion. It was so contrived and IMO it was only the religious and prejudice views on Syed's family that made it remotely interesting.

It would be hard to do a similar story of forbidden love without it being similar to all the others before it.

If they do 'recreate' this story I only hope the characters are more likeable. Christian was utterly vile and Syed was like a wet lettuce IMO.

Each to their own but personally I found Chryed groundbreaking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Same thing

LOL! Talk about a generalisation.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Two separate characters - one gay and one transgender.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Each to their own but personally I found Chryed groundbreaking.

Absolutely and I am by no means saying that your opinion is any less valid than mine, but I guess I didn't connect to the story in any way, and given that I had been in a very similar position to Syed at one point in my life, I would have liked to have had that connection. We faced a lot of the same issues, and whilst I found the actor playing Syed to be very capable, the story was ruined for me by Christians actions, and also the poor acting capability of John Partridge.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I being idealistic - wouldn't it be nice to say one day a new character is coming to the Street,Farm,Square without the additional - gay, black, old "tag".

We're all people
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Absolutely and I am by no means saying that your opinion is any less valid than mine, but I guess I didn't connect to the story in any way, and given that I had been in a very similar position to Syed at one point in my life, I would have liked to have had that connection. We faced a lot of the same issues, and whilst I found the actor playing Syed to be very capable, the story was ruined for me by Christians actions, and also the poor acting capability of John Partridge.

Agreed, Christian got on my nerves, made me really go off the storyline
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I being idealistic - wouldn't it be nice to say one day a new character is coming to the Street,Farm,Square without the additional - gay, black, old "tag".

We're all people

They almost had this with Finn in ED. He was brought in, and there was little mention of his sexuality and none of his initial stories were linked to him being gay. That didn't last long though :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Christian was Johnny Partridge's First TV role but I thought he played Christian as well as he could- when you compare him to Anthony Cotton he is an Oscar winner.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't John Partridge more of a stage performer before he took up the role of Christian? Must explain why he seemed a bit theatrical during his time on EE (same with Linda Carter's mum Elaine, who's played by Maria Friedman), I liked the character though.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think trying to manufacture it would be a mistake. They tried to force the Ben/Johnny thing and it didn't work at all.

I think gay characters are under-served in soaps in this way, tbh. This idea that every gay character is compatible is insulting and knowing that if a gay character does show up they will automatically be paired up with the one that's there is ridiculous.

I think what I would like would be for a long term established gay couple to move into the square together - no big deal made and just show that side of things.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same thing

Not really. Yes it's another part of the lgbt community but trans isn't nessarily a gay person. It's a person born as the wrong gender and therefore switch mtf or ftm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Ffs!!!
  • Options
    BitoftreakleBitoftreakle Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Transgender is related to gender not sexuality, a gay person is someone who is attracted to people of the same gender they identify as. There are many gay transgender people, who identify with the gender they were not born into and are attracted to the same gender. And yes there are supposed to be a transgender character and a new gay character coming in, and they are two separate people in this case. Many are speculating the gay character will be Les and Pam's grandson Paul.
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are DSers obsessed with gay relationships?
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    If Paul Coker is the new gay character then I think Beaul could be the "new" Chryed or gay power couple.
  • Options
    Forum Member

We're all people

That's likely to happen once it's generally and genuinely accepted in society that were all people too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's likely to happen once it's generally and genuinely accepted in society that were all people too.

It is mostly exepted in british society
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is mostly exepted in british society

Debatable. matters are undoubtedly much improved but a fair few of the attitudes in favour of gay equality are quite soft ie changeable as their newish.Soft support if you like.
    I see nowt wrong in mentioning a character is gay as long as we steer clear of tokenism and patronising ott preachy.
  • Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same thing

Seriously? I don't think you understand what it is to be transgender.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debatable. matters are undoubtedly much improved but a fair few of the attitudes in favour of gay equality are quite soft ie changeable as their newish.Soft support if you like.
    I see nowt wrong in mentioning a character is gay as long as we steer clear of tokenism and patronising ott preachy.

You cant expect everyone to accept everything