Receptionist who put the call through

Comments

• CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I agree, that bit is just speculation but it would explain why the management might take a very tough line even if they didn't want to. Let's wait and see (though of course everyone will deny everything now).

I would personally expect the management to take a tough line in cases like this regardless of who the patient was, I doubt they would of course.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine the DJs are tucked up in bed at this moment in time, oblivious.
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what it was unfunny to make the call in the first place when a woman is ill in hospital, these DJs are losers. They're not responsible for a death and it is a leap to say they are but making the call initially was pathetic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    It looks like Mel Greig took down her twitter page. I was able to access it half an hour ago.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    can anybody in the lynch mob baying for the DJs' blood honestly say they'd ever have anticipated that something like this could happen as the result of a prank phone call?

Of course the DJs, and the radio station which presumably gave the green light for this prank, never anticipated that someone would die as a result of their joke.

But, as with any public joke or prank call, there is the risk that the joke can very quickly get out of control. And with something as high profile and world wide as a Royal Baby, that risk is even higher. The radio station presumably thought that it would be extremely funny and would generate wonderful publicity for the station, but they should have considered the risk that any 'jokes' to do with the Royal Family could easily blow up in their faces. They would never have expected such tragic ending but the radio station and the DJs surely have to take some responsibility for what has happened as a result of their actions.

It may be that the poor receptionist had other problems, other stress, and the hassle over this stunt proved to be the last straw for her. But it seems extremely likely that without the prank call this woman would still be alive.
  • Cal Me ALCal Me AL Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Well I would imagine most people would have the good sense not to make a prank call

Especially to a hospital where sick people are trying to get better in peace. It wasn't funny then, and it isn't funny now.
    Forum Member
    Maybe they would. That's not the point. They'd have the sense not to make a prank call - particularly to a hospital - because it is stupid and disrespectful, not because they thought it likely that somebody involved in the call would react by committing suicide.

Of course they should be ashamed of themselves, but the people labeling them murderers and demanding they be charged as such are jumping the gun. Nobody on Earth can honestly say they've never done anything silly or irresponsible that could, theoretically, have led to tragedy. This is a case where that tragedy did occur. The DJs should be ashamed of themselves; but are they 'guilty of murder', as some are suggesting? No. They are guilty of being complete idiots who pulled a prank that led to dreadful circumstances that nobody in their wildest dreams could have anticipated.

Murder, no. At a very large stretch it might be manslaughter if it could be proved that a reasonable person might know that it could lead to suicide. I think that's doubtful. It's almost certainly a Malicious Communication though, and people have recently been jailed for that. I wonder if the Australian authorities would extradite them though.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    Of course the DJs, and the radio station which presumably gave the green light for this prank, never anticipated that someone would die as a result of their joke.

But, as with any public joke or prank call, there is the risk that the joke can very quickly get out of control. And with something as high profile and world wide as a Royal Baby, that risk is even higher. The radio station presumably thought that it would be extremely funny and would generate wonderful publicity for the station, but they should have considered the risk that any 'jokes' to do with the Royal Family could easily blow up in their faces. They would never have expected such tragic ending but the radio station and the DJs surely have to take some responsibility for what has happened as a result of their actions.

It may be that the poor receptionist had other problems, other stress, and the hassle over this stunt proved to be the last straw for her. But it seems extremely likely that without the prank call this woman would still be alive.

Of course they should take responsibility - I'm not denying that. That's not the point I have a problem with. It's the people on Twitter and elsewhere calling for charges to be pressed and the DJs to be thrown in prison for murder that I'm talking about.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The thread over in General Discussion is getting ridiculous as some people are accusing MI5 of killing the woman under orders from the Royal Family
    Forum Member
    The thread over in General Discussion is getting ridiculous as some people are accusing MI5 of killing the woman under orders from the Royal Family

Not really shocking lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abraca wrote: »
    It looks like Mel Greig took down her twitter page. I was able to access it half an hour ago.

The other one has done the same now
    Forum Member
    Of course they should take responsibility - I'm not denying that. That's not the point I have a problem with. It's the people on Twitter and elsewhere calling for charges to be pressed and the DJs to be thrown in prison for murder that I'm talking about.

As I say, they could probably be charged with making a malicious communication.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It never takes long before a tragic event is turned into a conspiracy theory...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one is "baying for the DJs' blood" at least not on DS. They are saying the DJs carried out a moronic stunt that was crass in the first place as it involved calling up a hospital where a pregnant woman is ill and pretending a family member is asking after her, and that where extremely high-profile people are involved there can be unintended consequences of that kind of prank. Other radio and TV stunts have gone wrong in the past.

The DJs have been sounding off as extremely proud of themselves for having duped hard-working medical staff, those staff not being people who ask to be in the public eye or profit off being famous etc but who are just getting on with their jobs. I have just seen a clip of the DJs crowing about this on TV and they look like prats.

No-one could have foreseen a suicide would have been involved in this but it wasn't a fair or reasonable act in the first place from the DJs and then it has all gone wrong, it was bad taste to the nth degree and it has backfired massively by the looks of things.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The radio station website has crashed too.

And apparently the station was already on 2 probationary 5 year warnings for other breaches of the Australian broadcasting regulations. This may well finish the station off.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cal Me AL wrote: »
    Especially to a hospital where sick people are trying to get better in peace. It wasn't funny then, and it isn't funny now.

Exactly! Lets not forget, Kate was in there because she was ill and in the very early days of pregnancy. How is it humour stalking someone for a 'prank' in that way?!

Its bad enough to think they did this for a 'prank' over someone who was in hospital suffering an illness at a very worrying time - early pregnancy. Then to not have a thought about those who they included unwittingly into their prank is just horrible!

This girl was working in a highly regarded hospital, confidentiality is everything in any hospital let alone the one that tends the royal family! I expect she was literally for the high jump over this, scared and embarrassed. How awful that she felt death was the only way out of a horrible situation.

You have to wonder though if the WHOLE hospital needs to look at their protocol, I cannot understand how the hierarchy of the hospital did not have a protocol in place for such public patients, to deal with things like calls, visits and info etc. Or if they did, why they did not relate that to the rest of staff!

This is just a tragic, tragic mess.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJs prank call people. You may or may not find that funny but its hardly a crime. They can't have believed they'd get too far pretending to be the Queen or Prince Charles.

Its a horrible thing to happen, but this being one of the consequences can not have been on anyone's radar.

People generally don't just commit suicide at such thing unless there were other underlying issues. And if there were, who is to say this tragic event wouldn't have happened anyway, with some other trigger the cause.

Who knows what the facts are. Nobody on here. Which is why an over-reaction to a DJ prank is somewhat pointless.

The press relentlessly over-publicising the matter didn't help either. Lets blame them too. And the hospital who clearly didn't have the protocols in place to let such calls through. And..And..
    Forum Member

It's bound to. Anything shady and tragic that bears even the most tenuous link with the Royal Family is destined to get blown up into a huge conspiracy, it's sad really.

The Royal Family would take revenge for this event by 'dealing with' the woman who put the call through, while the woman who divulged the information and the two perpetrators of the prank get off scot-free? I don't think so. People tend to avoid basic logic when it doesn't suit their contrived theory.

Most conspiracy theorists are so desperate to be 'un-naive' and open-eyed that they unwittingly become the most naive and blinded people alive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    The radio station website has crashed too.

And apparently the station was already on 2 probationary 5 year warnings for other breaches of the Australian broadcasting regulations. This may well finish the station off.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

According to the BBC the radion station in question is "preparing a statement"
    Forum Member
    No-one is "baying for the DJs' blood" at least not on DS. They are saying the DJs carried out a moronic stunt that was crass in the first place as it involved calling up a hospital where a pregnant woman is ill and pretending a family member is asking after her, and that where extremely high-profile people are involved there can be unintended consequences of that kind of prank. Other radio and TV stunts have gone wrong in the past.

The DJs have been sounding off as extremely proud of themselves for having duped hard-working medical staff, those staff not being people who ask to be in the public eye or profit off being famous etc but who are just getting on with their jobs. I have just seen a clip of the DJs crowing about this on TV and they look like prats.

No-one could have foreseen a suicide would have been involved in this but it wasn't a fair or reasonable act in the first place from the DJs and then it has all gone wrong, it was bad taste to the nth degree and it has backfired massively by the looks of things.

And I'd agree with them 100%. But they're not the people I'm talking about. I never once said that I was talking exclusively about the reaction to this tragedy by people on DS.
  • JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two clowns twitter accounts have been taken down.
    Not so smug are you now you couple of *****!
  • hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said.
  • JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the BBC the radion station in question is "preparing a statement"

That station should be shut down! Utter disgrace!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bound to. Anything shady and tragic that bears even the most tenuous link with the Royal Family is destined to get blown up into a huge conspiracy, it's sad really.

The Royal Family would take revenge for this event by 'dealing with' the woman who put the call through, while the woman who divulged the information and the two perpetrators of the prank get off scot-free? I don't think so. People tend to avoid basic logic when it doesn't suit their contrived theory.

Most conspiracy theorists are so desperate to be 'un-naive' and open-eyed that they unwittingly become the most naive and blinded people alive.

Also Charles was joking about it yesterday - unless that was a double bluff to put us off the scent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    DJs prank call people. You may or may not find that funny but its hardly a crime. They can't have believed they'd get too far pretending to be the Queen or Prince Charles.

Its a horrible thing to happen, but this being one of the consequences can not have been on anyone's radar.

People generally don't just commit suicide at such thing unless there were other underlying issues. And if there were, who is to say this tragic event wouldn't have happened anyway, with some other trigger the cause.

Who knows what the facts are. Nobody on here. Which is why an over-reaction to a DJ prank is somewhat pointless.

As has been noted above, people do sometimes commit suicide over apparently "minor" issues that leave coroner's courts and friends and family baffled and which 90 per cent of people would not let them trouble them at all. A minor argument, a disappointment that others would take in their stride, and a life is gone and people can't understand it. Nevertheless this case is not in that category if you look at it from the point of view of someone whose job is prestigious and involves a qualification and training, includes confidentiality and caring for others, and a serious breach has taken place that has been on every news programme and in every newspaper this week. This is not someone committing suicide because they nudge someone in the street and someone drops their ice cream cone. This kind of event can be utterly devastating for someone with a responsible job who takes their role very seriously.