Options

fortune teller predicted bad news....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am not massively superstitious, but have visited a fortune teller a few times at times of anxiety. I have found this helpful to focus me. It is a drop in place, no appointment made beforehand and have never given my name or any details.

I have always seen the same person, and she has always been surprisingly accurate. Examples include predicting trouble with conception, a parents illness, knowledge of past relationships, knowledge of my career etc. I cannot explain this. Anyway, my partner is struggling with his career so with some persuasion he has visited this fortune teller.

Amongst other things, she informed him that we will have a pregnancy in the next year which will end in either miscarriage or stillbirth. It effected him somewhat and has really upset me. We are planning on extending our family, but this has made us both feel wary and perhaps just accept what we have.

Are we being stupidly sensitive and silly? This prediction I know will make the whole pregnancy scary and full of anxiety. I am actually upset the fortune teller told him this. I feel silly for even contemplating not having another child because a fortune teller said this, but the thought of what she said..... Just feel so sad. Not sure what advice I want, perhaps just someone to tell me to pull myself together!!

Comments

• Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's normal to have some difficulties conceiving. It's normal for potential grandparents to have some experience of illness. It's also normal for some pregnancies not to run to full term.
    Don't give it another thought, and get on with your life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    You know you're gonna get a load of replies saying "don't worry, it's all bollox..." don't you.

Let me be the first - don't worry, it's all bollox....
  • Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its also normal for fortune tellers to have universal answers for everything
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one can really predict the future. Some people are very good at reading signs or know how to couch generalisations in the right way but in all cases it's just guesswork. Some fortune tellers are good enough at what they do to justify earning a living from it but others are just scam artists preying on the gullible and vulnerable.

Either way it's not something to worry about and my advice would be for you to stop wasting your money.
  • Options
    rtavy73rtavy73 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    It's a load of bull, you'd be surprised what they can fish out of you without realising.

My sister went to one back in 1988, I was 15 then, my sister comes home with stories that I had brought an evil spirt into the house (I was well into ouija boards then) any how the fortune tell said that I would die at 19 in a motorbike accident. Well I'm still here at almost 42. So don't worry what some charlton has told you, remember if they were that good they'd have won the lotto by now. :D
  • Options
    TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry. It's all bollox. I hope you didn't pay this woman. I'm sure there are laws against this sort of thing.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she could tell the future she would win the lottery every week.
    Some people are good at cold reading
    Please do not worry please do not take any notice
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisieBee wrote: »
    I am not massively superstitious, but have visited a fortune teller a few times at times of anxiety. I have found this helpful to focus me. It is a drop in place, no appointment made beforehand and have never given my name or any details.

I have always seen the same person, and she has always been surprisingly accurate. Examples include predicting trouble with conception, a parents illness, knowledge of past relationships, knowledge of my career etc. I cannot explain this. Anyway, my partner is struggling with his career so with some persuasion he has visited this fortune teller.

Amongst other things, she informed him that we will have a pregnancy in the next year which will end in either miscarriage or stillbirth. It effected him somewhat and has really upset me. We are planning on extending our family, but this has made us both feel wary and perhaps just accept what we have.

Are we being stupidly sensitive and silly? This prediction I know will make the whole pregnancy scary and full of anxiety. I am actually upset the fortune teller told him this. I feel silly for even contemplating not having another child because a fortune teller said this, but the thought of what she said..... Just feel so sad. Not sure what advice I want, perhaps just someone to tell me to pull myself together!!
    What an utter outrageous thing to tell you, even if she believed it to be true, who would want to hear that, of course you are not going to be able to put it to one side.

Stop seeing her, have your child and don't ever see her again, ever, what a rank amateur, outrageous.
  • Options
    Michelle12Michelle12 Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    What an utter outrageous thing to tell you, even if she believed it to be true, who would want to hear that, of course you are not going to be able to put it to one side.

Stop seeing her, have your child and don't ever see her again, ever, what a rank amateur, outrageous.

It is alsoluteley outrageous.... Do not see this woman ever again. Delete anything you have received from, bin it all and do not give her or what she has had to say a second thought after today or after you have finished reading the rest of this thread OP. I am very angry. >:(

Regardless of what she has told you and what has happened thereafter, the future is never set in stone, we alter the course of our future by the decisions we make and our intentions. Focus all your energy on keeping your mind, body and spirit healthy and make it a priority to eat healthy and take good care of your body and you will be surprised at the result of your efforts! :)

Life is a journey, it could be that one lesson you need to learn is to be confident in yourself and do not let others influence your decisions. No one should be able to alter the direction you take in life except for you.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not massively superstitious, but .........
    ...... you visit a fortune teller and persuaded your partner to do so as well.

If she's any good she'll have a spell to reverse her irresponsible, callous and perverse "predictions".
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    You know you're gonna get a load of replies saying "don't worry, it's all bollox..." don't you.

Let me be the first - don't worry, it's all bollox....
    I can't believe you wrote that. It's not 'all bollox', the phrase is actually 'it's all total and utter complete bollox'. If there were any way on this planet or others of predicting the future, it would be in the hands of international companies and governments, not some charlatan in a pokey little drop-in shop off your local High Street.

That's without bothering to mention the obvious things, such as the betting industry would collapse, as would the national lottery and Euromillions, as well as the pension industry, life insurance, mortgages, the stock market and with it international currency trading and the world's stock markets, and most of all the met office's hangar full of super-computers that have a stab at predicting the weather. All would be superfluous if it were in any way possible to ascertain future events based on anything other than pure guesswork, odds and outright charlatanry.

Go back and tell her to sling her 'ook.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »

Completely agree. What an absolutely terrible thing to tell someone. And of course it has no basis in truth at all, but still, what a disgusting thing to say.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a wicked, wicked thing to say to someone >:(

She sounds deranged.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Please do not visit this 'fortune teller' again, you are wasting your money as all they are able to do is cold read you. They have made the miscarriage/stillborn story up, why? I couldn't tell you - It was a very vindictive thing of them to do. Perhaps they are miserable and want to make everyone else feel the same way. Don't take it seriously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew somebody was going to start a thread like this ;)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TobyS wrote: »
    Don't worry. It's all bollox. I hope you didn't pay this woman. I'm sure there are laws against this sort of thing.

Unfortunately not.

Trading Standards deem these 'services' to be 'for entertainment purposes only', which covers them.

Of course though, given that that is the official line it's amazing any sane person would believe in such horse-shit, let alone pay for the privilege of being fed said horse-shit.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=DaisieBee;77492646]I am not massively superstitious, but have visited a fortune teller a few times at times of anxiety. I have found this helpful to focus me. It is a drop in place, no appointment made beforehand and have never given my name or any details.

Are we being stupidly sensitive and silly? This prediction I know will make the whole pregnancy scary and full of anxiety. I am actually upset the fortune teller told him this. I feel silly for even contemplating not having another child because a fortune teller said this, but the thought of what she said..... Just feel so sad. Not sure what advice I want, perhaps just someone to tell me to pull myself together!![/QUOTE]

If you're visiting a "fortune teller" then you are massively superstitious. Find another, less destructive way to deal with your anxieties. Laying yourself open to this kind of abuse won't help you, your marriage, or any future children you might have.
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we had a fortune teller come to visit us at our house for a private reading i think the cost was £60. this is going back a few years ....this fellow walked in our house took one look at my toddler son and said he won't be long for this world and then proceeded to tell me a load of rubbish which didn't make sense at all then or now and topped it all off by telling me my husband would die at 63 yrs old precisely. To say i was annoyed would be an understatement and more fool me for parting with my money.

he had come recommended by another fortune teller and that other person also said my son will commit suicide in his forties. Both a bunch of criminals in my opinion uand if i could turn the clock back , i don't know i was the stupid one, i'm furious with both of them for telling me nasty things i didn't think fortune tellers were meant to tell you bad things so i was very shocked and upset at the time

like somebody has already said it was a cold reading, because they knew our family they knew my son had had health problems and that it was affecting my marriage so they picked the two things , the two subjects guaranteed to get my attention

i'm pretty sure that fortune teller number 1 debriefed fortune teller number 2 before he even came around my house hence why they both knew so much about me
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly gullible people are easy to swing.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TobyS wrote: »
    I hope you didn't pay this woman. I'm sure there are laws against this sort of thing.
    No, there are in fact no laws against being gullible and handing your money over to frauds.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok... I'm quite into this stuff and I have been to a few fortune tellers myself, as have several members of my family. There are very few who are good, but the vast majority are frauds. The most accurate predictions were from card readers. Anyone who pretends to be able to tell your future because they claim to be 'psychic' or anyone who claims to be able to speak to spirits is a fraud.

The problem is that some of their predictions can become self-fulfilling prophecies. I would try for a baby anyway if that's what you want to do, but I guess (because I'm gullible) be more careful throughout the pregnancy and then visit the fortune teller with your new baby to give her a piece of your mind.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop going. Problem solved
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are we being stupidly sensitive and silly?

No you're not, you're being conned. If nothing "dramatic" happens in the next twelve months this could be explained away something along the lines of "Oh, how strange? Did you have any false alarms, late periods then? Are you sure?"

If by pure chance something dramatic does happen they've got you both hooked for life.

My advice is if you see them again punch them in the face hard. If they're genuine they would have known this would happen so must have wanted it
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    OP a percentage of pregnancies end up as miscarriage and still birth, so rather than listen to this person, I'd inform yourself of actual facts. There is no reason to believe this person can predict what will happen, but she can take a guess based on facts and that's probably what she has done. Why? Who knows, but she doesn't sound like a very nice person to me. In fact she sounds quite disturbed!

I would also recommend you take a look at "Cold Reading" and how people use it to con others. It may settle your mind to realise this person was indeed just a charlatan in it for the money.

If you are thinking of extending your family have a chat with the nurse/GP at your surgery and talking over your fears.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Ok... I'm quite into this stuff and I have been to a few fortune tellers myself, as have several members of my family. There are very few who are good, but the vast majority are frauds. The most accurate predictions were from card readers. Anyone who pretends to be able to tell your future because they claim to be 'psychic' or anyone who claims to be able to speak to spirits is a fraud.
    So foretelling the future from reading minds or speaking to the dead is complete poppycock and a fraud.

But divining the future from random rectangles of cardboard is absolutely legit.

OK...good to know.