anxiety about moving into bedsit

seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After the break up of my marriage and my break down just before Christmas, today I move into my bedsit, getting really worried about living with strangers and also looking after my self, at the moment I still don't see a happy future ahead and really worried I won't get the same support from mental services as I have in Dorset. I've never lived in shared accommodation but i think it may be the best option as at least I'm forced to mix with others.

Comments

• tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moving is extremely stressful so its completely normal to feel anxious and worry about moving home.

Is your bedsit self contained in that you have your own bathroom and kitchen, or do you share some of this with someone else?

You need to put some simple tasks down, firstly would be making contact with the relevant mental health services in the area, registering with the local GP, sorting out any medication etc

Then, when you move, make your home homely, put things in which make you happy whether thats cushions, posters, pots and pans, rugs, new bed linen etc, you can pick stuff like this up from charity shops.

Give yourself time to settle in, dont expect to feel comfortable until after some time has passed.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Moving is extremely stressful so its completely normal to feel anxious and worry about moving home.

Is your bedsit self contained in that you have your own bathroom and kitchen, or do you share some of this with someone else?

You need to put some simple tasks down, firstly would be making contact with the relevant mental health services in the area, registering with the local GP, sorting out any medication etc

Then, when you move, make your home homely, put things in which make you happy whether thats cushions, posters, pots and pans, rugs, new bed linen etc, you can pick stuff like this up from charity shops.

Give yourself time to settle in, dont expect to feel comfortable until after some time has passed.

I've managed to get bedding and a memory foam topper from amazon so that's covered,
    I'm sharing the living room, bathroom and kitchen with 5 other people, not looking forward to that, as for things that make my happy, can't think any can anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    I've managed to get bedding and a memory foam topper from amazon so that's covered,
    I'm sharing the living room, bathroom and kitchen with 5 other people, not looking forward to that, as for things that make my happy, can't think any can anymore.

Are you working at the moment or off sick? Are you on any medication to support you?
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member

Great advice Tia. When I shared, I had plants to brighten the place up to.

Sean, make sure you stay in contact with your Dad and any friends you have. Also, in the house, don't isolate yourself by staying constantly in your room. Be friendly with the others. Who knows, you might find a great friend or two.

Also, get a radio. If your on your own you'll start to mull everything over. The radio will help to distract you from doing that.

Good luck Sean x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you working at the moment or off sick? Are you on any medication to support you?

Due back at work Thursday, I work 4 days a week 12 hour shifts, been off sick for the past 6 week or so, kinda worried about that as well. I've never liked change, maybe that's one of reasons my marriage failed?
    I'm on so much medication now it's unreal, I've got loads of tablets for my heart and now with the antidepressants, thank god for prepayment certificates, especially since the doctor was only giving me a days woth of tablets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due back at work Thursday, I work 4 days a week 12 hour shifts, been off sick for the past 6 week or so, kinda worried about that as well. I've never liked change, maybe that's one of reasons my marriage failed?
    I'm on so much medication now it's unreal, I've got loads of tablets for my heart and now with the antidepressants, thank god for prepayment certificates, especially since the doctor was only giving me a days woth of tablets.

First thing then is to ensure that you register with a local GP to you.

Second thing, do you think you are on the right medication, is it working for you?

Third, you have the right to ask your employer for a phased return to work but this is helped if your GP has signed you back to work with a phased return, its very helpful to ease you back in. going back to work and moving at the same time is a lot to contend with.

Change is never easy, but it becomes disordered in our minds if we cant see both sides of the coin, for those of us who suffer depression and anxiety, we only ever focus on the bad things that could come from change and catastrophise, rather than seeing it for a fresh start and opportunities so try to see some positives for your future.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I have no friends, can go days without speaking to anyone, it sucks. I would actually like to have some company, it may be a good thing
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure you don't get into lending them cigs or money. Set the boundaries early for stuff like that. I've lived in a bedsit with a shared bathroom before and it wasn't too bad.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't add anything to the excellent advice already given, but I do wish you well - I know it's not easy :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now I know what hells like, I've never seen anything so grimm. god knows how long I can hack this.
    Forum Member
    now I know what hells like, I've never seen anything so grimm. god knows how long I can hack this.

Why exactly is it hell Sean? Didn't you view it before you moved in? Is it something cosmetic that you can change or something else?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Why exactly is it hell Sean? Didn't you view it before you moved in? Is it something cosmetic that you can change or something else?

the landlord couldn't find the keys for this room, je showed me the room next door. I think once I paint the walls get some decent furniture it'll be ok, just a shock to the system, it stings a little knowing im paying the mortgage and building / content insurance for my house and all I have is this room and a suit case of belongings.
    Forum Member
    the landlord couldn't find the keys for this room, je showed me the room next door. I think once I paint the walls get some decent furniture it'll be ok, just a shock to the system, it stings a little knowing im paying the mortgage and building / content insurance for my house and all I have is this room and a suit case of belongings.

I can imagine it is incredibly hard and it must be a huge shock. Especially when it's not your choice. It seems so unfair to me that you're in this situation when it was your wife who did the dirty. But it is what it is so, for your own sake, you need to try and make the best of it.

Try to busy yourself with plans for improving it. Paints, furniture, pictures, plants etc. Make it your project. It'll keep you occupied and hopefully give you a sense of satisfaction when it is done.

When my ex did the dirty on me I found I had to be distracted otherwise I just thought about him all the time. Believe me when I say that way madness lies. X
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

iirc, she was the one who had the affair and your kids are over 18, which begs the question why did you move out and not her?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok just gone to use the toilet, it's all brown and scaley under the water line, the rest is spot less, what's best for removing the scale?
    Forum Member
    ok just gone to use the toilet, it's all brown and scaley under the water line, the rest is spot less, what's best for removing the scale?

I've just googled 'products for removing toilet scale' and there is a wealth of suggestions! Not bleach as it just hides the scale. Have a look Sean.

I'm glad the test is spotless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    iirc, she was the one who had the affair and your kids are over 18, which begs the question why did you move out and not her?

my daughter is still in 6th form, so to keep things as calm for het as possible I've left. My wife is under the impression I still have to support her, and that I have to pay for the house before my rent, isn't she in for a shock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just googled 'products for removing toilet scale' and there is a wealth of suggestions! Not bleach as it just hides the scale. Have a look Sean.

I'm glad the test is spotless.

Thanks think one day when the place is empty im going to try and get most of the water out and try vinegar and then some toilet duck lime scale remover
    Forum Member
    Thanks think one day when the place is empty im going to try and get most of the water out and try vinegar and then some toilet duck lime scale remover

Bicarbonate of soda works brilliantly with vinegar! 😊
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bicarbonate of soda works brilliantly with vinegar! í*½í¸Š

thanks I'll give it a go.
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,030
    Forum Member
    I've heard coke works wonders. Try a really cheap one. Best to put it down last thing at night so it has a few hours to work.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my daughter is still in 6th form, so to keep things as calm for het as possible I've left. My wife is under the impression I still have to support her, and that I have to pay for the house before my rent, isn't she in for a shock.

Well have a word

Communication in these matters is vital .Little point aggravating the situation needlessly .Good luck
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Harpic tablets for limescale is the best I've found. Leave a couple in overnight and it a bit of a scrub, should resolve it.
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can imagine sharing a bathroom and toilet being pretty grim but tell yourself it's not forever.

Btw ignore the advise above and buy Viakal limescale remover from Wilko's it's absolutely brilliant stuff and trust me I tried everything before it.

Apply generously leave for 15 minutes and you can literally wipe the limescale away with no elbow grease.
  • .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Make sure you don't get into lending them cigs or money. Set the boundaries early for stuff like that. I've lived in a bedsit with a shared bathroom before and it wasn't too bad.

Couldn't agree more!!!! I have been in one for 10 yrs now....amazing how you learn to rub along with everyone ....as long as you NEVER lend them any money or give them food when they say they have nothing!!!:D Good luck...it's not so bad...just what you make of it! On the bad side.......(sorry) hope you get no druggies in there ...makes life hell!!! :blush: