• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    straight.

and "no preference" are naive or lying.

Haha!

Harsh but truthful.

It's kind of like asking whether you'd want your kids to be ugly or attractive.
    I mean, sure. I'm sure parents would love their kids however they turn out but surely every parent wants their kids to have every possible advantage and, in this world, gay people quite simply DO face issues that straight people don't.

And that's before you consider the parents who genuinely DO worry about "continuing the family line" who're obviously going to want straight kids.
  • Options
    ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    straight.

Times have changed. Have you just woken up from a coma?
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No preference.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Haha!

Harsh but truthful.

It's kind of like asking whether you'd want your kids to be ugly or attractive.
    I mean, sure. I'm sure parents would love their kids however they turn out but surely every parent wants their kids to have every possible advantage and, in this world, gay people quite simply DO face issues that straight people don't.

And that's before you consider the parents who genuinely DO worry about "continuing the family line" who're obviously going to want straight kids.

It really isn't! I genuinely would not mind, as I have said many times my biggest fear would be getting a straight gung ho type who wants to join the army.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really isn't! I genuinely would not mind, as I have said many times my biggest fear would be getting a straight gung ho type who wants to join the army.

peculiar phrasing there. why is that worse than a gay gung ho type who wants to join the army.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put straight but what i really meant was i want my kids to have kids. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure kids feel so appreciated being nothing more than baby making machines.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It sounds like you're conflating your feelings for an existing child with some notional ability to pre-ordain the destiny of a hypothetical child.

If the question was "If you could choose whether your child had an interest in joining the army or not?" I'm sure you'd be pounding on the "no" button without hesitation.

The same principle applies.
    If an existing child DID show an interest in joining the army I'm sure you'd support them 100% but you can understand that their destiny would include an elevated risk of certain things happening so, IF you had the ability, you'd choose for them to forego that risk on their behalf.

Same thing applies to a hypothetical gay child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    peculiar phrasing there. why is that worse than a gay gung ho type who wants to join the army.

It isn't, my son being a gung ho type who wanted to join the army would be my biggest fear. The phrasing was merely for comparative purposes.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    This topic has been done to death. It's a bit of a silly thing to have a poll for, as it's such an individual thing.

I'd say the OP wants straight to "win" the poll, just so they can feel like their opinion has been validated. Think what you like and to hell with those who don't share the same view. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It sounds like you're conflating your feelings for an existing child with some notional ability to pre-ordain the destiny of a hypothetical child.

If the question was "If you could choose whether your child had an interest in joining the army or not?" I'm sure you'd be pounding on the "no" button without hesitation.

The same principle applies.
    If an existing child DID show an interest in joining the army I'm sure you'd support them 100% but you can understand that their destiny would include an elevated risk of certain things happening so, IF you had the ability, you'd choose for them to forego that risk on their behalf.

Same thing applies to a hypothetical gay child.

Sorry, but you are way off beam there, the point I am making is that my son joining the army would terrify me, him being gay would simply not be an issue, in the same way that it is not an issue for my cousin who came out in the 1960s and is not an issue for my nephew who recently came out in his teens.

I know that for other people it could be the other way around.

As it happens, he is an IT person who lives happily with his partner and cat, and thankfully has no intention of going in the army. :)
  • Options
    PerpetualAscentPerpetualAscent Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    straight.

I'm neither, but thanks for being an arrogant tit yet again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    As long as they're happy, that's all that is important. I would like a grandchild, so one heterosexual child would be nice :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but you are way off beam there, the point I am making is that my son joining the army would terrify me, him being gay would simply not be an issue, in the same way that it is not an issue for my cousin who came out in the 1960s and is not an issue for my nephew who recently came out in his teens.

Maybe I should have posed it as a direct question first time around...

If you could choose whether your child had an interest in joining the army or not, what would you choose?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe I should have posed it as a direct question first time around...

If you could choose whether your child had an interest in joining the army or not, what would you choose?

:confused: I have made that very very clear I would chose for him not to have an interest in the army. I'm not sure where this is leading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't, my son being a gung ho type who wanted to join the army would be my biggest fear. The phrasing was merely for comparative purposes.

OK get you.
    So if you knew that the child would be bullied and be unhappy if gay, would you choose straight.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    research backs me up that they have more mental illness than straight people.

Well that's no wonder with people like you around.
    OK get you.
    So if you knew that the child would be bullied and be unhappy if gay, would you choose straight.

Begging the question also don't care. As long as they're not ginger - now THAT would be a disadvantage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK get you.
    I wouldn't. I find the idea of controlling a child to such a profound degree, to the extent of writing their destiny and determining their make-up as a person, to be immoral.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :confused: I have made that very very clear I would chose for him not to have an interest in the army. I'm not sure where this is leading.

Don't worry. It's not a trick question. :)

I just wanted to check that you are willing and able to get into the required mindset over some issue.

Maybe I'm putting words in your mouth but I suspect you'd make that choice because you think that a career in the army might prove to be dangerous for your child and that it might have a negative impact on his psyche or have some other negative impact on his life.

So, that being the case, what you're doing is accepting that there are negative things which, if possible, you'd choose for a child to avoid.

The same thing applies to being gay.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    OK get you.

Pointless question because no one ever knows such things. Talk about phrasing a question just to get the answer you want!
  • Options
    dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No preference, genuinely.

I don't get why people say it'd be a lie since as a bisexual myself I know that it's not a decision and therefore I don't get why I'd want a straight or gay child.

However God makes them, I'll take them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Pointless question because no one ever knows such things. Talk about phrasing a question just to get the answer you want!

It's all a theoretical question... I just added another qualifier. I didn't ask you anyway.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a theoretical question... I just added another qualifier. I didn't ask you anyway.

Rather than be gay, straight or ginger it would be far worse if a child had you as a parent.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone.
  • Options
    hornbeamhornbeam Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    No preference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK get you.

OK - I'll turn that around to you - if you knew that your child would be bullied and unhappy if straight, would you choose gay?

It is impossible to answer. What I will say is that of course no parent wants to see their child bullied or unhappy. I hope we agree on that. Where we seem to disagree is on the likelihood of a gay child being bullied or unhappy. My experience with family members and friends is clearly very different to what your experience is. If I were to have a gay child then I would hope that the network of family and friends that have helped my nephew have a very positive coming out experience would also help them.

I don't know of any gay family member or friend who wishes they weren't gay, so if they are happy and content to be gay even with the challenges it can bring, then why would I as a parent feel any differently?