Labour are up a very famous creek...

WBAboyWBAboy Posts: 39
Forum Member
The fact of the matter is devolution has to apply EQUALLY to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Labour have been led into a trap and now they can't get out without denying England the same rights as W/S/NI!

They could face massive losses in England!

How on earth did they let this happen!?

Comments

• rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    I disagree. Labour are stating that what was agreed with Scotland is the priority. Which it is. Cameron is trying to use it as an out.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Scottish and Welsh MPs to be disbarred from voting on English matters, this effectively undermines the chances of any future Labour government.

However this serves Labour right ^_^
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WBAboy wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is devolution has to apply EQUALLY to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Labour have been led into a trap and now they can't get out without denying England the same rights as W/S/NI!

Finally! I'd all but given up hope that the question would ever be asked.

Word has it that a senior Labour MP was overheard saying this morning that the Tories had "played a blinder". They had basically put Labour in an impossible position. If Labour agreed to addressing the West Lothian question, they stood to lose a huge number of MP's, permanently. If they didn't, they would appear to be against the pledges they had made, and against fairness across the UK. Which ever way they turn, they lose bigtime.

Done up like a kipper.

I personally believe the answer is they simply didn't think it through. Their leader is a political idealist, not a strategist. Unfortunately, to survive in politics, you need skills in both areas and a team at your back to point out things you may have missed. Obviously, that hasn't happened.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    I disagree. Labour are stating that what was agreed with Scotland is the priority. Which it is. Cameron is trying to use it as an out.

How do we know that when Scotland gets it's powers a Labour government wont just forget about England.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

Word has it that a senior Labour MP was overheard saying this morning that the Tories had "played a blinder". They had basically put Labour in an impossible position. If Labour agreed to addressing the West Lothian question, they stood to lose a huge number of MP's, permanently. If they didn't, they would appear to be against the pledges they had made, and against fairness across the UK. Which ever way they turn, they lose bigtime.

Done up like a kipper.

I personally believe the answer is they simply didn't think it through. Their leader is a political idealist, not a strategist. Unfortunately, to survive in politics, you need skills in both areas and a team at your back to point out things you may have missed. Obviously, that hasn't happened.

Totally agree

Very well put ;-)
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour have absolutely no interest in solving the West Lothian question as it is against their own personal interest. They will simply delay anything happening by asking for enquiries, thumb twiddling and dawdling until the issue is dropped.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do we know that when Scotland gets it's powers a Labour government wont just forget about England.

It would only be able to do that with a Blair-sized majority, which is probably unlikely in the next election. Plus it'd have to convince Labour MPs in England/Wales/NI to give preferrential treatment to Scotland. Milliband really should've seen this coming, but then he's never been the sharpest tool.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I can't see them getting out of the creek any time soon.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/20/whats-the-point-labour-party

"The tragedy of the Labour party is not so much the deficiencies of Ed Miliband's leadership (Labour must confront the 'Ed problem', 20 June), but the absence of any meaningful dialogue with the people it claims to represent. Rather than engaging in discussion with its traditional supporters, listening to them and taking their problems seriously, the party revolves around Westminster gossip, is in thrall to the media, and rewards the bright young things from Oxbridge who regard a seat in parliament as a career rather than a commitment to serve others"

These haven't got a clue when it comes to the "big stuff".
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian quote is about right,though to be fair it could apply to any of the 3 main parties.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Cameron manages to get "English votes on English laws" passed by the election then he'll be leaving a huge problem for Labour. Even if they have a small overall majority they won't be able to do anything on health and education as they could be in a minority on English issues.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    Labour have absolutely no interest in solving the West Lothian question as it is against their own personal interest. They will simply delay anything happening by asking for enquiries, thumb twiddling and dawdling until the issue is dropped.

They are doing the rounds of the TV studios reading from Miliband's script on his constitution convention and being against quick fix's.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What Labour gave Scotland a devolved parliament.

Whilst letting Scottish mps vote on UK issues ie raising tuiton fees which would have absolutely no impact on their own constituents.

Bl--dy unfair and Labour have now been caught up with,
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    donovan5 wrote: »
    The Guardian quote is about right,though to be fair it could apply to any of the 3 main parties.

It could, I think recent events in certain Labour run local authorities are yet more evidence of their utter stupidity.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Why is Scotland more important than England, Wales and Northern Ireland?
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »

Marxist intellectuals like Milliband, have a deep seated hatred of the English
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »

I thought that was his father Ralph?

However Labour are very much in a mess of their own making.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »

You're gonna restrict it to just Marxist intellectuals? :D:D
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    With Scottish and Welsh MPs to be disbarred from voting on English matters, this effectively undermines the chances of any future Labour government.

That is of course assuming that that perverse version of "devolution" is what happens rather than something better.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    :D I admire the silver lining that has been engineered out of this issue.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour have really screwed themselves and even worse, those who believe that Labour will represent them and their hopes and aspirations.

If they fail to follow up with their vow to Scotland, then the lose the little support left they have in Scotland. If they do follow up their vow, then they risk losing support in England and Wales.

As a Labour voter all my life, I have no sympathy with them.

They sold their souls a long time ago. They joined with a coalition of the right wing tories and the loyalists that are currently rioting in George Square in Glasgow. And they did so to screw the very people who voted for them in Scotland for generations.
  • LenkaLenka Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WBAboy wrote: »

Fantastic, at last we can get some equity.

It is going to become almost painful watching this whole thing unfurl.

Why do Labour hate England so much they would do this to us, and secondly why are they now banging on about splitting up England into regions. They didn't make Scotland, NI and Wales break into regions?
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a trap!
  • LenkaLenka Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

Done up like a kipper.

I agree. Remember Freedom of Information? Didn't think that through either.
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    Where have I, or Milliband, said this? What Milliband is doing is saying he will honour the pledge to the Scots and then work out the changes that the whole uk needs in light of this. Which is the sensible thing. We will be going down a route of federalisation of the UK. But rushing in to how it works will be very wrong. I would rather give the Scots their powers and then work out how it will work for the wider UK than make snap knee jerk decisions.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Not to the rest of the UK it isn't. It should be devolution for everyone or no-one. I don't care about Labour's problems.