Options

Liners for cat littler tray

MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all

I wonder if anyone has ever used the liners for a cat litter tray? I've been thinking about using them for a while but I'm worried that:

a) the cats will eat the bag and choke

b) the cats will scratch the bag when the "bury" their business and that will defeat the object

c) the cats will get their claws stuck in the liners and have a bit of a traumatic time and start to associate the tray with stress.

Does anyone have any experience with these?!

Thanks in advance.

:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    Hi all

I wonder if anyone has ever used the liners for a cat litter tray? I've been thinking about using them for a while but I'm worried that:

a) the cats will eat the bag and choke

b) the cats will scratch the bag when the "bury" their business and that will defeat the object

c) the cats will get their claws stuck in the liners and have a bit of a traumatic time and start to associate the tray with stress.

Does anyone have any experience with these?!

Thanks in advance.

:)

My cats always shredded them when digging and covering, therefore meeting scenario b). Pointless IMO.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I use these all the time. So much easier to empty the tray. There has been the occasional hole scraped in the bottom but it really hasn't happened often. Mine have never tried to eat them or had any other mishap.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Used them a few times, usually just ended up ripped and shredded.

Waste of money IMO
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our cats & kittens just ripped them to pieces. So yes a waste of money.
    Our puppy however does her business on a disposable absorbent mat when she is indoors.
    We reward her each time with a treat.
    Now she comes to me after going & asks for a treat. Bless her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Another vote for a waste of money. It's a great idea but the bags always ended up shredded.
  • Options
    Ju411Ju411 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Molly used to rip the liners.. but I was at fault :) It really helps to properly fill the tray with litterm which I previously didn't.:cool:
    Nowadays, there's a small rip when I have taken most of the clumps out but because I have some newspaper underneath the litter cleaning and refilling the tray all quite straightforward :)
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried these a while back. Tried all different types and one was excellent. They usually just got ripped up but one type managed to survive, they were advertised as 'tough'. I went back to get more and they had stopped stocking them. And I can't for the life of me remember the brand now.
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

You've all confirmed my initial thoughts that they are a waste of time and money. I'll just carry on as we are and forget about the liners.

Seem like a good idea, but terrible in practice.
  • Options
    rachpidrachpid Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    The only thing I found them good for was emptying the whole tray into them, instead of using a bin bag! Otherwise they got ripped to shreds. Both of mine are "diggers" though.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used them before and they do just get clawed at. I have found it easier now just to line the bottom of the litter tray with a whole newspaper and when I empty it into a bin bag it stops anything sticking to the bottom and helps soak up any wee (I do have a few cats though that use it when the weather is rubbish.. lazy buggers)
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used liners at first with The Beast, but it wasn't successful.

Bless him, he was trying to be 'clean' but he was always a bit over enthusiastic with the digging, and would catch his paws on it when trying to cover his doings and end up tearing the liner anyway, rendering it a bit pointless.

If there is enough litter in the tray and it is refreshed often enough it is pretty dry anyway, so I would empty the tray outside into a carrier bag and give it the once over at the outside tap, not a big chore.
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of my cats worked out how to drag the entire liner out of the tray and along my hallway leaving the contents spread all over ...needless to say i stopped using them, i do use newspaper though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat has been using these Trixie Cat Litter Tray Bags (links to Amazon) for years.

Makes emptying the litter tray a breeze.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    one of my cats worked out how to drag the entire liner out of the tray and along my hallway leaving the contents spread all over ...needless to say i stopped using them, i do use newspaper though.

Sorry, I laughed. :blush: I tried the liners once but as my cat loves to bite and lick plastic bags I was a bit nervous about using them. I also found El shredded them too. :D
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    My cats always shredded them when digging and covering, therefore meeting scenario b). Pointless IMO.

My experience with liners also.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I always use liners, much easier to empty.