Watching Mary Poppins as an adult

adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
I aint going to lie I used to love watching this as a child. The songs the dancing etc but I didn't really understand the story. As an adult and re watching it yesterday I really do understand what the storys about and I think theres a huge messege to it.
The dad really does care for his children but he wants them to grow up to quick and be like him. He don't understand his children want to be children and act like them.
Also another messege it don't take a lot to be kind it takes something so simple. When the farther is about to loose his job his son gives him something so simple it just shows he really cares. This film is so underated but I hope one day a lot more people will aprechate it and understand the proper messege,

Comments

• Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's more than just memorable tunes

but it is a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious soundtrack.
  • chris_lynnchris_lynn Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I just figured out that she looks quite similar to Cloe Moritz.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only recently found out the sad news that the son died just 13 years after making this film.
  • Dawn_ThomasDawn_Thomas Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    There was a lot of messages that would go over a child's head, but when you watch it as an adult, you realise what the film is about.

It's not just the fact that a father can't express his love for his children, but he put his job over his family, and was also quite snobbish about his children's activities.

The mother was a feminist and woman's right's campaigner. As a little girl, I never realised the struggle women had to be allowed to vote, but as an adult, It made me realise the struggle's women had at that time.

Also, it's about perception's. Mary is seemingly 'perfect', but can she really be happy?. Burt was happy but poor. Jane and Michael were from a good family, but got more love from Burt and Mary than from their parents, at least at first. It gives the message 'money can't buy happiness'.

It's sad that it's mainly remembered for Dick Van Dyke's bad cockney accent.
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actress who plays the feed the birds lady was born in..... wait for it... 1879!! :o
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Arguably Disney's greatest film, IMO.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Arguably Disney's greatest film, IMO.

Non-animated? Probably.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Non-animated? Probably.

Trippy? Definetly!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

:confused: Sounds fine tae me. ;-)
    Ron_J wrote: »
    The actress who plays the feed the birds lady was born in..... wait for it... 1879!! :o

Yes, but the film came out in 1964, so she was 'only' 85.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Surprised no one's mentioned Saving Mr Banks in this thread.

Regards

Mark
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ron_J wrote: »

I used to feel sorry for the bird lady as a child but actually thinking about it, 2p a bag for what was probably only a slice of bread she probably made a fortune with the price of bread back then /dailymail
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is so much. That's just one thing people joke about in a more lighthearted endearing way.

To be honest I think most who have ever watched the film are too caught up in how great it is and how brilliant Dick Van Dykes performance is that they never really notice or care how bad the accent is until Stuart Maconie, Vernon Kaye, Fearne Cotton and some random comic who once appeared on Mock the Week start to smugly go on about it on some talking head nostalgia show.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    Surprised no one's mentioned Saving Mr Banks in this thread.

Regards

Mark

I watched Saving Mr Banks a couple of weeks ago and I was in floods at the end ( I never cry..about anything. I'm a hard bitch )
    It was a double whammy sad ending; the ending of the actual film and the ending of Mary Poppins :cry::cry:

Great film. Well worth watching if you haven't seen it.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that re-watching Mary Poppins as an adult is an entirely different experience. Only as an adult can you really appreciate that the story is actually about George Banks learning to understand and connect with his children; and in turn, the children learning to understand that their father doesn't 'hate' them just because he isn't able to spend much time with them. The scenes in which Mr Banks slowly walks to the Bank (aware he is about to be fired), and the final scene where he fixes the kite, never fail to move me to tears.

'Saving Mr Banks' is an equally wonderful film, and is well worth watching to gain a greater understanding of the inspiration for the characters. I was in floods of tears by the end of that one too!
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    I used to feel sorry for the bird lady as a child but actually thinking about it, 2p a bag for what was probably only a slice of bread she probably made a fortune with the price of bread back then /dailymail

Yep, for 2d (not 2p, wash your mouth out!) back then you could have a slap-up meal, a night at the theatre, a three-piece suit, a three-piece suite, a night with half-a-dozen hookers and a bottle of whisky. Although at that price it must have been pretty poor whisky.
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, for 2d (not 2p, wash your mouth out!) back then you could have a slap-up meal, a night at the theatre, a three-piece suit, a three-piece suite, a night with half-a-dozen hookers and a bottle of whisky. Although at that price it must have been pretty poor whisky.

Isn't that how Michael spends his tuppence in the alternate version of the movie? Supercalifragilistocexpialidocious takes on a whoooooole new meaning in that cut of the film...
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    Watching as a child Mary Poppins was just about the animation and music and thoroughly enjoyable over and over again, a classic and incredible for it's time.
    George was the family man, bread earner. His purpose was going to work and providing for his family, in his very serious bank role, leaving not much time for family life. I feel it is a lesson that we are so busy working to provide that we miss watching our children grow.
    Ellen is a bored housewife (well the family are not exactly short of money). George does a good job of providing his wife and children a lovely home, well dressed and Ellen is pretty much a lady of leisure with hiring of cooks and nanny's. Ellen's role is quite redundant, so she plunges her time into campaigns for 'Votes For Women'.
    A wonderful film still;-)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a lot of messages that would go over a child's head, but when you watch it as an adult, you realise what the film is about.

It's not just the fact that a father can't express his love for his children, but he put his job over his family, and was also quite snobbish about his children's activities.

The mother was a feminist and woman's right's campaigner. As a little girl, I never realised the struggle women had to be allowed to vote, but as an adult, It made me realise the struggle's women had at that time.

Also, it's about perception's. Mary is seemingly 'perfect', but can she really be happy?. Burt was happy but poor. Jane and Michael were from a good family, but got more love from Burt and Mary than from their parents, at least at first. It gives the message 'money can't buy happiness'.

It is always interesting to watch films like this with a historical context behind it. I think the father is a figure in which capitalism and Edwardian society has swallowed him up. He has become obsessed with social status and has forgotten the principles of family and the home. The film also has sense of dramatic irony attached to it as the father is primarily concerned with his individual needs in relation to his career. Thus, choosing to neglect the needs of his family. But we know as an audience that The Great War, only a few years away in which the film was based, was an event in which families were torn apart and there was no choice. When you consider these elements of films it makes them all the more intriguing to discuss.