Options

adjustment disorder

seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well after my previous post about my marriage breakdown, I've been struggling to cope I've been emailing the Samaritans daily suppose they've helped best they can. But after telling the GP exactly how I feel he referred me to the community mental health team, saw them today and been told I have adjustment disorder. There must be a disorder for everything.

I've just nothing left in me now, I keep trying to think of the bad points in our marriage to see if that helps, but it doesn't. I still think out ending things and even worked out how, but i now think it is just thoughts. But not 100% sure.

Comments

• Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow is the start of a new year, so why not set yourself some goals, to give yourself something positive to aim for, don't make thme too difficult, fo achieve ghough, and then when you achieve one of them, give yourself a treat,, go out for a meal or take trip to the cinema, make it something you son't do on a regular basis, so that it is treat. Good Luck for 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the start of a new year, so why not set yourself some goals, to give yourself something positive to aim for, don't make thme too difficult, fo achieve ghough, and then when you achieve one of them, give yourself a treat,, go out for a meal or take trip to the cinema, make it something you son't do on a regular basis, so that it is treat. Good Luck for 2015.

Thanks, getting out of bed has been the biggest achievement the past few days, can't do cinema or meal, would look like a sad old git, but can't wait till this year ends.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a bizarre diagnosis. No one would adjust to a a marriage breaking down and having to move away that fast. So everyone would suffer from this.

Mind you never known anyone to get a diagnosis that fast anyway.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Sean, it will take time. Lots of time.

There will always be moments that still catch you off guard and make you feel bad, wanting what you had, or thought you had. BUT it will ease given time, support and care.

Trust me, you will feel better, just don't expect it to happen overnight. Or for it to be a total recovery. You will be different, but that isn't always such a bad thing.

Take care of yourself, big hugs. X
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    seanf wrote: »
    Thanks, getting out of bed has been the biggest achievement the past few days, can't do cinema or meal, would look like a sad old git, but can't wait till this year ends.

Don't worry about doing things on your own, I do quite often, and I haven't noticed any bad looks from anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »

There will always be moments that still catch you off guard and make you feel bad, wanting what you had, or thought you had. BUT it will ease given time, support and care.

Trust me, you will feel better, just don't expect it to happen overnight. Or for it to be a total recovery. You will be different, but that isn't always such a bad thing.

It was tough today they took me back to things I had managed to well not forget about but to hide in deepest part of mind. And he said its going to take time, and told me he's seen so many people my age and older get past this and find they can be happy again.

Seems a bizarre diagnosis. No one would adjust to a a marriage breaking down and having to move away that fast. So everyone would suffer from this.

Mind you never known anyone to get a diagnosis that fast anyway.

haven't a clues what you're on about.

lea_uk wrote: »
    Don't worry about doing things on your own, I do quite often, and I haven't noticed any bad looks from anyone.

I'm not sure on that, I've always suffered from anxiety when going somewhere new or on my own, suppose it's another thing to overcome.

Well time for my magic tablets.

fook off 2014.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    It was tough today they took me back to things I had managed to well not forget about but to hide in deepest part of mind. And he said its going to take time, and told me he's seen so many people my age and older get past this and find they can be happy again.

I'm not sure on that, I've always suffered from anxiety when going somewhere new or on my own, suppose it's another thing to overcome.

Well time for my magic tablets.

fook off 2014.

In the space of a week you have seen a. doctor, that wasnt your own, been referred, had the appointment and been diagnosed All this action over the christmas period as well. And people moan about the NHS being useless
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    In the space of a week you have seen a. doctor, that wasnt your own, been referred, had the appointment and been diagnosed All this action over the christmas period as well. And people moan about the NHS being useless

Well I'm glad to see they can be of use when it really counts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was shocked at even getting to see a GP so soon, but then again I am living in a very small town.

I'd never call the nhs useless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Adjustment disorder.
    Its a bizarre diagnoses, seeing as no one would have got over all you have been through this last few weeks in such a short time anyway. Bizarre to label you in the very short time you have had to adjust to your new circumstances.

But luckily adjustment disorder. is short lived, so the future for you looks bright :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adjustment disorder.
    Its a bizarre diagnoses, seeing as no one would have got over all you have been through this last few weeks in such a short time anyway. Bizarre to label you in the very short time you have had to adjust to your new circumstances.

But luckily adjustment disorder. is short lived, so the future for you looks bright :)

I've got through what, every day is hell, I haven't adjustrd at all, and that's the problem im not/ adjust. I'm still clinging on to the vain hope so wants me back. I have worked out several ways my iwn meds csn end it, I came very close to ending up in hospital, but because im with family abd no access to tablets I cab stay at home ( my dads)
    I have visits at home from mental heath well if me going so them gets too much, So please do not claim im over it. Especially since you do not know a thing about me.
    The whole problem is I won't allow my self to adjust
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got through what, every day is hell, I haven't adjustrd at all, and that's the problem im not/ adjust. I'm still clinging on to the vain hope so wants me back. I have worked out several ways my iwn meds csn end it, I came very close to ending up in hospital, but because im with family abd no access to tablets I cab stay at home ( my dads)
    I have visits at home from mental heath well if me going so them gets too much, So please do not claim im over it. Especially since you do not know a thing about me.
    The whole problem is I won't allow my self to adjust

Where did I say you were over it?

My point is.. NO ONE would be over it that fast anyway.. so why would they label you for not being over something that.. NO ONE would be over by now. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My point is.. NO ONE would be over it that fast anyway.. so why would they label you for not being over something that.. NO ONE would be over by now. :confused:

Well I've no idea. I'm just going on what a professional psychiatrist has told me. But if you have your own professional knowledge in this field please help.

Just found the below article online. But he did tell me not to take too much notice to things on the Internet as we are always drawn to the worst case scenario.

An adjustment disorder ( AD ) occurs when an individual is
    unable to adjust to or cope with a particular stressor, like
    a major life event. Since people with this disorder
    normally have symptoms that depressed people do, such
    as general loss of interest, feelings of hopelessness and
    crying, this disorder is sometimes known as situational
    depression. Unlike major depression the disorder is
    caused by an outside stressor and generally resolves
    once the individual is able to adapt to the situation. [1]
    One hypothesis for adjustment disorder is that it may
    represent a sub-threshold clinical syndrome. [2]
    The condition is different from anxiety disorder, which
    lacks the presence of a stressor, or post-traumatic stress
    disorder and acute stress disorder, which usually are
    associated with a more intense stressor.
    Common characteristics of adjustment disorder include
    mild depressive symptoms, anxiety symptoms, and
    traumatic stress symptoms or a combination of the three.
    There are nine types of adjustment disorders listed in the
    DSM-III-R. According to the DSM-IV-TR , there are six
    types of adjustment disorders, which are characterized
    by the following predominant symptoms: depressed
    mood , anxiety , mixed depression and anxiety, disturbance
    of conduct, mixed disturbance of emotions and conduct,
    and unspecified. However, the criteria for these
    symptoms are not specified in greater detail. [3]
    Adjustment disorder may be acute or chronic, depending
    on whether it lasts more or less than six months.
    According to the DSM-IV-TR, if the adjustment disorder
    lasts less than 6 months, then it may be considered
    acute. If it lasts more than six months, it may be
    considered chronic. [3] Moreover, the symptoms cannot
    last longer than six months after the stressor(s), or its
    consequences, have terminated. [4] Diagnosis of
    adjustment disorder is quite common; there is an
    estimated incidence of 5%–21% among psychiatric
    consultation services for adults. Adult women are
    diagnosed twice as often as are adult men. Among
    children and adolescents, girls and boys are equally likely
    to receive this diagnosis. [5] Adjustment disorder was
    introduced into the psychiatric classification systems
    almost 30 years ago, but the concept was recognized for
    many years before that. [6]
    Signs and symptoms
    According to the DSM IV-TR , the development of the
    emotional or behavioral symptoms of this diagnosis have
    to occur within three months of the onset of the
    identifiable stressor(s). [7]
    Some emotional signs of adjustment disorder are
    Sadness
    Hopelessness
    Lack of enjoyment
    Crying spells
    Nervousness
    Anxiety
    Worry
    Desperation
    Trouble sleeping
    Difficulty concentrating
    Feeling overwhelmed and thoughts of suicide

well time to go back to bed amd block out another day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I've no idea. I'm just going on what a professional psychiatrist has told me. But if you have your own professional knowledge in this field please help.

Just found the below article online. But he did tell me not to take too much notice to things on the Internet as we are always drawn to the worst case scenario.

well time to go back to bed amd block out another day.

One day at a time Sean. Keep talking, don't bottle it up. I did that and it's not good. Can you get emergency counselling? It would be worth asking.
    Take care xxx
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member

As you said before, sweetpeanut, everybody would be diagnosed with an adjustment disorder within days of a major relationship breakdown. I always assumed this diagnosis applied to people who were unable to move on after months/years.

Lucky for the OP that he is in an area with prompt and efficient mental health service that are fully functioning despite the time of year.
    A friend of mine, who is already in the system, and who usually has a regular visit from her CPN, has been unable to contact anyone from her CMHT over the festive period, despite struggling with her illness.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    As you said before, sweetpeanut, everybody would be diagnosed with an adjustment disorder within days of a major relationship breakdown. I always assumed this diagnosis applied to people who were unable to move on after months/years.

Lucky for the OP that he is in an area with prompt and efficient mental health service that are fully functioning despite the time of year.
    A friend of mine, who is already in the system, and who usually has a regular visit from her CPN, has been unable to contact anyone from her CMHT over the festive period, despite struggling with her illness.

Indeed, surprisingly fast. Didnt Sean say he wasnt even seen by his own doctor as he was staying with his dad? If so that is very good sevice
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Indeed, surprisingly fast. Didnt Sean say he wasnt even seen by his own doctor as he was staying with his dad? If so that is very good sevice

"Miraculous" is the adjective that I would have employed ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    "Miraculous" is the adjective that I would have employed ...
    A Christmas miracle?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    I'm not missing the point of these posts (just picked yours because it is the last one), but 'adjustment disorder' is just a form of stress, sometimes called 'situational depression'. I was signed off work with situational depression after seeing a GP I had never seen before in a single appointment. It's a temporary response to a stressful situation. (I was working for the b*tch from hell and was fine as soon as I resigned.)

It's how the person feels/reacts that determines the diagnosis. No one would be over it but some people will go out/get drunk/laid others might want to jump in the train tracks.
    I'm not disputing the diagnosis, and I'm not minimising the effect the relationship breakdown has had on the OP. I am simply expressing my surprise that such a diagnosis has been in such a short time, over the Christmas/New Year period, when someone I know with mental health problems, has been unable to contact anyone from her CMHT. Adjustment disorder isn't usually diagnosed so rapidly either, it's after a few weeks or months of unrelenting symptoms.

Anyway, I'm glad your stress lifted once you'd left your job. I think a lot of us have worked for the bitch from hell (not necessarily the same person!!), it's a horrible situation to be in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I'm not missing the point of these posts (just picked yours because it is the last one), but 'adjustment disorder' is just a form of stress, sometimes called 'situational depression'. I was signed off work with situational depression after seeing a GP I had never seen before in a single appointment. It's a temporary response to a stressful situation. (I was working for the b*tch from hell and was fine as soon as I resigned.)

It's how the person feels/reacts that determines the diagnosis. No one would be over it but some people will go out/get drunk/laid others might want to jump in the train tracks.

Sorry I dont think anyone can be diagnosed in such a very short time. If the OP was still self destructing after a few mths then yes. Same as someone who keeps getting drunk, keeps sleeping around. All self destructive behaviour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm just glad the OP is getting help. I don't care how, as long as he is.

I've felt as wretched in my time and don't like to think of anyone feeling like that.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well after my previous post about my marriage breakdown, I've been struggling to cope I've been emailing the Samaritans daily suppose they've helped best they can. But after telling the GP exactly how I feel he referred me to the community mental health team, saw them today and been told I have adjustment disorder. There must be a disorder for everything.

I've just nothing left in me now, I keep trying to think of the bad points in our marriage to see if that helps, but it doesn't. I still think out ending things and even worked out how, but i now think it is just thoughts. But not 100% sure.

First of all I am amazed how quickly you got seen, nice to know at least one area obviously has decent access to mental health services as down here it is woefully bad.

I haven't heard of adjustment disorder but I just wanted to say that what you are feeling really is quite normal. I think anyone who is suddenly faced with their marriage ending would be having trouble accepting and dealing with it.

Time is the best healer, you will get over this.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Safi74 wrote: »

^^^ This and I'd suggest taking up every offer of help available and attending every appointment with the community health team. I do hope that things get better for you, seanf. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I thought I was coming to terms with what has happened, but i seem to becoming more and more depressed, I just can't believe that the person I've spent the most of my life with could have done this. I'm now questioning everything she has said to me recently.
    I can't take the loneliness, there doesn't seem to be any point in doing anything anymore.