Options

After my new Year migrane, getting panic attacks

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Over new Year, I posted, that it felt I had a night of a spiritual experience, but it seems to have been a migrane, due to over eating sugar etc, the night in question was as we were away, I work up one night, to a headache, light surrounded me, strong smells in my nose and mouth, and a strong feeling of being afraid, as the room seemed to fade.

And since,then I am getting strange panic attacks, the headache has gone, but I get a strange reguar feeling washing over me, day and night, on my own or with people around me. First I get a feeling of being afraid, then feel cold, than a strong herbal smell, nose and mouth, and the surrounding fades a bit, it only lasts a few seconds, but a few times a day, my doctor, didn't really get it, said it may be a virus, take pain killers etc, and that was it.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Over new Year, I posted, that it felt I had a night of a spiritual experience, but it seems to have been a migrane, due to over eating sugar etc, the night in question was as we were away, I work up one night, to a headache, light surrounded me, strong smells in my nose and mouth, and a strong feeling of being afraid, as the room seemed to fade.

And since,then I am getting strange panic attacks, the headache has gone, but I get a strange reguar feeling washing over me, day and night, on my own or with people around me. First I get a feeling of being afraid, then feel cold, than a strong herbal smell, nose and mouth, and the surrounding fades a bit, it only lasts a few seconds, but a few times a day, my doctor, didn't really get it, said it may be a virus, take pain killers etc, and that was it.

Was wondering if anyone has had similar, or ideas to help
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi - was this the first time you'd had a migraine? If that is what the doctor suspected, then all the symptoms you describe can be associated with it. They make you highly sensitive to noise, smell, taste etc. You mentioned light. Did you see this before your migraine - in which case it could be an aura where you see disturbances in vision blind spots and lights. Maybe since your attack you've developed a susceptibility so have to watch certain triggers. It can be a combination of things. So say, you're already anxious, or stressed, then for example skip a meal - that could be a trigger. Sleep is another trigger. Late nights, broken sleep - lay ins.

Photosensitivity makes you susceptible, so flicking trees in sunlight for example. If you suspect it might be something you've eaten, (you suggested sugar maybe) perhaps make a food diary, and see if you see a pattern developing. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi - was this the first time you'd had a migraine? If that is what the doctor suspected, then all the symptoms you describe can be associated with it. They make you highly sensitive to noise, smell, taste etc. You mentioned light. Did you see this before your migraine - in which case it could be an aura where you see disturbances in vision blind spots and lights. Maybe since your attack you've developed a susceptibility so have to watch certain triggers. It can be a combination of things. So say, you're already anxious, or stressed, then for example skip a meal - that could be a trigger. Sleep is another trigger. Late nights, broken sleep - lay ins.

Photosensitivity makes you susceptible, so flicking trees in sunlight for example. If you suspect it might be something you've eaten, (you suggested sugar maybe) perhaps make a food diary, and see if you see a pattern developing. Hope this helps.

Thank you , yes, get headaches, but never a migraine. So I have been told this is why I had the night as I explained. But it is since, as I work in an office or at home, the feeling just washes over me, I will try changing my diet and back over my GF weekend, see what happens then.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Go back to the doctors and insist on further tests. These can be symptoms of migraine but also of something more serious.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Thank you , yes, get headaches, but never a migraine. So I have been told this is why I had the night as I explained. But it is since, as I work in an office or at home, the feeling just washes over me, I will try changing my diet and back over my GF weekend, see what happens then.

Sorry being daft - is GF - gluten free? If so yes, that's well worth trying. I've been GF for years as I realised that gluten in wheat made me feel very strange as of course it's a toxin. On the other hand GF might mean "girlfriend" in which case that might do you good too! :D It can be a long road, working out what causes head pain, but there again, hopefully this was all a one off.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    go back to docs and get further checks but in the meantime it could certainly be "just" panic, have a look here and see if you can find anything you recognise, also tips on managing it [if it`s panic].

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the strangest thing is after the feeling of fear, the same strong herbal type smell, I am trying to work out what it is as I have def smelt it before.