Options

Any Experts On Electrical Circuits And Components ?

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
HI my radio is starting to go faulty. i have had the radio over 25 years. but i do not want a plastic cheaply made digital radio.. the one i have and use has a guts and was IMO made with decent parts.
the radio is a Panasonic model no RF-1405LBE mains and battery..
made in Singapore by matsushita electrics.

for anyone with the knowledge when i depress in the radio on button, the sound comes through, then dips to a low volume of goes off completely.. Have to keep pressing in the radio on button several times before sound and quality is there..

what is technically the fault.. thanks... someone casually mentioned it could be a capacitor !!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ralphstephenson/10911784545/

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    It could be a lot of things!

I would suspect the switch.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI my radio is starting to go faulty. i have had the radio over 25 years. but i do not want a plastic cheaply made digital radio.. the one i have and use has a guts and was IMO made with decent parts.

for anyone with the knowledge when i depress in the radio on button, the sound comes through, then dips to a low volume of goes off completely.. Have to keep pressing in the radio on button several times before sound and quality is there..

what is technically the fault.. thanks... someone casually mentioned it could be a capacitor !!!

Totally impossible to diagnose the fault without access to the actual device.

Any electronic component can degrade over time. Electrolytic capacitors are prone to leaking or suffering from bulging tops which is a sure sign they are if not totally dead then very close. Though usually something like a degraded capacitor is terminal. Once it goes the device stops working properly. It may sort of work but with lots of noise or distortion which is there all the time.

Trouble is having the fault investigated and fixed may cost more than a replacement. And depending on what exactly has failed it may not be possible to repair at all if the affected component is no longer made.

I have one of these

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/product_details/Ecologic_4.htm

sounds good, is decently made. Only does DAB and FM though

If you want something a bit more "old school" then

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/product_details/R9954.htm
    or
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/product_details/R9928.htm
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Nowadays manufacturers no longer supply a circuit diagram. I know nobody who can tackle anything but the simplest fault without a circuit to consult.

2. Nowadays, nobody wants to pay (say) £35 an hour for an indefinite number hours it might take to test the equipment using expensive equipment in order to determine the cause and probable cost of repair - assuming parts are available.

For these reasons, almost nobody offers to do repairs unless they have masochistic tendencies and like to work for no pay.

However, here's my offer: post it to me and I'll take a look at it when I'm in the appropriate frame of mind. If I can't fix it, I'll send it back to you for the cost of postage. If I can fix it, I'll charge you the going rate for parts and time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

Any electronic component can degrade over time. Electrolytic capacitors are prone to leaking or suffering from bulging tops which is a sure sign they are if not totally dead then very close. Though usually something like a degraded capacitor is terminal. Once it goes the device stops working properly. It may sort of work but with lots of noise or distortion which is there all the time.

Trouble is having the fault investigated and fixed may cost more than a replacement. And depending on what exactly has failed it may not be possible to repair at all if the affected component is no longer made.

I have one of these

or

thanks for reply... nice looking radio's esp first one..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Nowadays manufacturers no longer supply a circuit diagram. I know nobody who can tackle anything but the simplest fault without a circuit to consult.

2. Nowadays, nobody wants to pay (say) £35 an hour for an indefinite number hours it might take to test the equipment using expensive equipment in order to determine the cause and probable cost of repair - assuming parts are available.

For these reasons, almost nobody offers to do repairs unless they have masochistic tendencies and like to work for no pay.

However, here's my offer: post it to me and I'll take a look at it when I'm in the appropriate frame of mind. If I can't fix it, I'll send it back to you for the cost of postage. If I can fix it, I'll charge you the going rate for parts and time.

lol... there are a few hobbyists who tinker with and repair electronic gadgets, because they enjoy doing it.. money comes second... it keeps them in their sheds.. or spare rooms.. my only problem is finding one.. and invite them to my radio..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

I have one of these

or

buy the way bulging tops on capacitors indicates that it is going to pop.. but can be replaced.. manufacturers esp with new flat TV's is that they underrate the capacitors. this is done on purpose.. it would not happen if the capacitor were over rated.. in other words, a stronger and slightly bigger one.. . all makes are guilty of this.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol... there are a few hobbyists who tinker with and repair electronic gadgets, because they enjoy doing it.. money comes second... it keeps them in their sheds.. or spare rooms.. my only problem is finding one.. and invite them to my radio..

You want them to fix your radio for next to nothing but appear to have little respect for them! Yes, keep them out of sight in a back room! (But that's a typical attitude in the UK towards engineers.)

You can buy a replacement for your radio off eBay. Second-hand, but it won't be much older than yours, and might be less expensive than paying for a repair.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    buy the way bulging tops on capacitors indicates that it is going to pop.. but can be replaced.. manufacturers esp with new flat TV's is that they underrate the capacitors. this is done on purpose.. it would not happen if the capacitor were over rated.. in other words, a stronger and slightly bigger one.. . all makes are guilty of this.

Almost totally untrue - the poorer manufacturers fit the cheapest crappiest capacitors they can buy - knowing full well they will only have short life (the datasheets even specify this). So they aren't 'under-rated', they are just cheap crap - the 'ratings' often claim to be just as good as decent makes.

'All' makes certainly aren't guilty of this, it's not a problem in Sony sets - or (as far as I'm aware) Panasonic ones - both of whom fit decent quality capacitors.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

The reason it’s only lasted 25+ years is because you bought an inferior product in the first place......”made in Singapore by matsushita electrics” tells you all you need to know!

Don’t be a cheap-skate and buy a new one.

Look out for the ‘Made In China’ sticker next time...........you can’t go wrong.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    The reason it’s only lasted 25+ years is because you bought an inferior product in the first place......”made in Singapore by matsushita electrics” tells you all you need to know!

Clueless.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The fact it's lasted 25yrs suggests it's not exactly inferior. It's lasted a lot longer than the average iPhone or iPad is likely to.

But back to the story..
    for anyone with the knowledge when i depress in the radio on button, the sound comes through, then dips to a low volume of goes off completely.. Have to keep pressing in the radio on button several times before sound and quality is there.

Any idea how the button works? I found this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0A2LVk0NRM

which looks like it's some form of latching switch, so that might be worn and needs replacing, or it'll be hunting for the bad capacitor. At least having discrete components, it will likely be easy-ish to repair. This site-

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/panasonic_rf_1405lbs_rf1405lbs.html

looks like it has a circuit diagram.

(also saw the same YT channel showed off a Grundig Yacht Boy like mine.. But Grundig was one of those nice companies that usually stuck a circuit diagram under the cover. Old radios are also fun for sometimes having long-dead 'ghost stations' on the dials)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    You want them to fix your radio for next to nothing but appear to have little respect for them! Yes, keep them out of sight in a back room! (But that's a typical attitude in the UK towards engineers.)

You can buy a replacement for your radio off eBay. Second-hand, but it won't be much older than yours, and might be less expensive than paying for a repair.

LOL not true.. the radio has sentimental value which cannot be bought...

because it has sentimental value.. i would have consider payer more than it is worth to have it fixed..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost totally untrue - the poorer manufacturers fit the cheapest crappiest capacitors they can buy - knowing full well they will only have short life (the datasheets even specify this). So they aren't 'under-rated', they are just cheap crap - the 'ratings' often claim to be just as good as decent makes.

'All' makes certainly aren't guilty of this, it's not a problem in Sony sets - or (as far as I'm aware) Panasonic ones - both of whom fit decent quality capacitors.

Nigel according to Sony website forum they have other issues, not caps..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don’t be a cheap-skate and buy a new one.

Look out for the ‘Made In China’ sticker next time...........you can’t go wrong.

REMARKS about being a cheap skate, not a chance.. will pay a couple of hundred for a radio... but it will not have character or sentimental value.. regardless where it was made
    actually made in uk.. is just as rubbish as china..
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Nigel according to Sony website forum they have other issues, not caps..

Is this statement any more accurate than your last one :D

Certainly reliability is far higher than the lesser makes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this statement any more accurate than your last one :D

Certainly reliability is far higher than the lesser makes.

yes i would agree.. as a general rule of thumb.. get what you pay for....
    but even the elite makes.. often and do have frequent bad batches..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Clueless.

Humourless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    REMARKS about being a cheap skate, not a chance.. will pay a couple of hundred for a radio... but it will not have character or sentimental value.. regardless where it was made
    actually made in uk.. is just as rubbish as china..

Ok, you’re not a cheap-skate;..... apologies if my brevity upset you. :)

As someone who has worked in Radio/comms/electronic/IT service industries my entire life I’m always a little bemused how some people can get emotionally attached to things like an old portable radio; however, that’s just me and you clearly have a deep affection for yours.

It’s was obviously a fine construction in its day and was made with good quality, basic components; 25+ years loyal service attests to that.

You may find someone (not me these days by the way!) that would be willing to tinker around and fix it for you, but your joy will be short-lived as other vital ‘organs’ will soon start to fail as well.

I think it’s time to let go;.......euthanasia is sometimes for the best. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, you’re not a cheap-skate;..... apologies if my brevity upset you. :)

As someone who has worked in Radio/comms/electronic/IT service industries my entire life I’m always a little bemused how some people can get emotionally attached to things like an old portable radio; however, that’s just me and you clearly have a deep affection for yours.

It’s was obviously a fine construction in its day and was made with good quality, basic components; 25+ years loyal service attests to that.

You may find someone (not me these days by the way!) that would be willing to tinker around and fix it for you, but your joy will be short-lived as other vital ‘organs’ will soon start to fail as well.

I think it’s time to let go;.......euthanasia is sometimes for the best. :cry:

your remark made me laugh.. that was a good thing.. not a negative
    but we both know it is time to discard the radio.. looking at better quality ones..
    digital of course.. hopefully not the bottom end of the market..
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC4 The Sound of Song is repeated tonight at 11.40pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050rbz8

It shows the evolution of electronic technology in music over the decades.

A sequence in it showed ghetto blasters, and my first one popped into my head (aged 15 I suppose).

I got all nostalgic and had a look on eBay to see if I could spot it.

Big heavy lump it was (Sharp or Aiwa or Akai) and I never took it to da' street.
    It stayed in my room, but I loved it.

Chucked out when I left home probably, it was a hand me down anyway from a Travelling Aunt.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pfft.. Try doing the same but with people talking about stuff like CNI and this-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/136351/Emergency_Communications_1_.pdf

and how some.. bright young things think it could all be done with an app. AM radio still has it's uses :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    watermeade wrote: »

CHEERS...go over there now..
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you seen if there is one of those Repair clubs in your area?

The ones where you can go and get electrical items repaired and learn how to repair them yourself?

Something like this.

https://brightonrepaircafe.wordpress.com/tag/electrical-repair/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen if there is one of those Repair clubs in your area?

The ones where you can go and get electrical items repaired and learn how to repair them yourself?

Something like this.

https://brightonrepaircafe.wordpress.com/tag/electrical-repair/

having a browse now at any repair cafe..in my area.. good idea.. cheers for that