Options

Qi Xl 'm'

VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry if there is an existing thread for this but as the search function is effectively useless it makes threads hard to find. Even Google wasn't any help.

The episode shown recently, themed on memory, seemed to be missing something.

SF kept doing tricks involving printing banknotes and was very arch about it. There was a clear signpost to some joke or explanation coming later. However the programme finished with no further mention of the tricks.

Was anyone else puzzled by this?

Comments

• Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the episode was shown out of order, as in the Christmas one (broadcast before) showed Stephen receiving membership to the magic circle with the banknote printing as evidence of his tricks.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yes, as in the previous series where he did a science experiment most shows, in this series he's been doing magic tricks.
  • Options
    kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I thought Matt Lucas added nothing to this week's episode ("Medieval & Macabre"). Julia Zemiro was only the latest panellist to make me say, "who??" out loud.
  • Options
    ian_jopsonian_jopson Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Sorry if there is an existing thread for this but as the search function is effectively useless it makes threads hard to find. Even Google wasn't any help.

The episode shown recently, themed on memory, seemed to be missing something.

SF kept doing tricks involving printing banknotes and was very arch about it. There was a clear signpost to some joke or explanation coming later. However the programme finished with no further mention of the tricks.

Was anyone else puzzled by this?

Perhaps if he'd explained how the trick was done he might have had his wand broken? The mechanism for the basic trick is fairly simple, but I didn't expect the other denominations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian_jopson wrote: »
    Perhaps if he'd explained how the trick was done he might have had his wand broken? The mechanism for the basic trick is fairly simple, but I didn't expect the other denominations.

I wasn't necessarily expecting him to explain the trick - it was very easy to work out.

It was his, and the guest's, general behaviour that made it seem as if they were going to make some big thing of it at some point.

SF was talking in a manner that suggested that he had something up his sleeve for later.

Maybe I just misread his demeanour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought Matt Lucas added nothing to this week's episode ("Medieval & Macabre"). Julia Zemiro was only the latest panellist to make me say, "who??" out loud.

Well it was her third appearance so if you're a fan of the show you should have seen her before.
  • Options
    DonkeyKonk2DonkeyKonk2 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    The show has really been limping along the last few years.

I would say I was still a fan until I went to a recording a couple of years ago, I was SO bored with it (I think it went on for nearly three hours).
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know why the XL version isn't on this Saturday or have any idea when it will be shown?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well it was her third appearance so if you're a fan of the show you should have seen her before.
    The fact that I didn't remember says something.
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Have any of the random Australian women they have on ever said anything funny? Agree about Matt Lucas being awful as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Anyone know why the XL version isn't on this Saturday or have any idea when it will be shown?

I think they sometimes just don't do (or show) an XL version.

There was a thread here about a trick done with milk that I was looking forward to, but there was no 'XL' that week, and it wasn't that episode on the next one shown.
    AA2009 wrote: »
    Have any of the random Australian women they have on ever said anything funny? Agree about Matt Lucas being awful as well.

Yes. Often.

In fact a couple have comprehensively put a lot of the very average British male panellists to shame.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I wonder if anyone else clicked on this thread thinking it was about someone in China called Qi Xi? I know I did! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone else clicked on this thread thinking it was about someone in China called Qi Xi? I know I did! :)

Ah, you're thinking of the upcoming: "How the Chinese infiltrated the highest levels of British intelligence without anyone noticing".

Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Matt Lucas was good, but the token woman to meet the quota might as well not have been there.
    Have any of the random Australian women they have on ever said anything funny?
    No. In fact I watched the QI XL version and not only did she say nothing funny, she spoke barely ten words.

It's about time the BBC scrapped this panel show quota if this is the result. By all means have women on if there are funny and witty women available, but most of the time there aren't. You could probably count the number of funny and witty female comedians on one hand.

I think it was fine before they introduced this rule, when occasionally there would be a woman on, but not every time. Drawing on a very small pool to put a woman on every show means they either scrape the barrel or have Jo Brand every week. Panels shows have become much worse in the last two years, that's for sure. They were criticised as "testosterone-fuelled" but I don't see how having a woman sit there like a lemon watching the boys banter is any better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have any of the random Australian women they have on ever said anything funny?
    I've enjoyed Kathy Lette's appearances in the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    That would be episode 13 ("Monster Mash"). It's being shown on Monday evening at 9:45.
  • Options
    GrahameSteeleGrahameSteele Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad Fry is going, man makes my skin creep...
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I would have liked to have seen him hump a Sperry Fastrand drum on his desk! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is a bit odd. Tonight on BBC2 it's the XL version of episode 14 ("Messy"). Instead of showing the next episode ("Mix & Match") next week, they're jumping back into series L and repeating an episode previously show in October 2014.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    Were all the L series XL versions just 40 minutes long?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The XL version of series closer "Misconceptions" is being shown on Easter Monday on BBC2 at 22:40. The "normal" version was screened on 19th February. No sign of an XL version for the one before that, "Mix and Match" though.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show has really been limping along the last few years.

I would say I was still a fan until I went to a recording a couple of years ago, I was SO bored with it (I think it went on for nearly three hours).
    They should have got rid of Fry years ago. To begin with he was sharp and funny, but for too many years he's been drunk and unfunny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The XL version of series closer "Misconceptions" is being shown on Easter Monday on BBC2 at 22:40. The "normal" version was screened on 19th February. No sign of an XL version for the one before that, "Mix and Match" though.

It all over the place. Like they have no respect for it. I wonder if it's because they think people will just download/stream it instead so are not bothering with a set schedule.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It all over the place. Like they have no respect for it. I wonder if it's because they think people will just download/stream it instead so are not bothering with a set schedule.

I thought they'd make more of a big deal over Stephen's last show but it just seemed to go unremarked and as you say the way they have treated the end of the series on XL is downright bizarre.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blister wrote: »

I think it was fine before they introduced this rule, when occasionally there would be a woman on, but not every time. Drawing on a very small pool to put a woman on every show means they either scrape the barrel or have Jo Brand every week. Panels shows have become much worse in the last two years, that's for sure. They were criticised as "testosterone-fuelled" but I don't see how having a woman sit there like a lemon watching the boys banter is any better.
    Yeah, in fact they'd be better off ditching all the men with their tedious knob gags and just having an all female panel. It's actually embarrassing seeing their reaction when Cariad Lloyd even mentions the clitoris. Double standards or what?