Constipated cat - Senekot okay?

AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone, as the thread title says our poor kitty is a little bit constipated. She's just tried to go for a poo and ended up with a poo-hanging-from-bum scenario, which she's wiped all over the kitchen floor. My mum was wondering if it would be okay to give her a senekot tablet, so I thought I'd post here before we try it. I've googled and the reactions are mixed.

We used to be able to give her something called catalax, a paste she'd just lick off our fingers, which sorted her out before. She's randomly gone off it though and downright refuses it, even when it's mixed into food!

If the senekot is a no-go, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    You should take your cat to the vet to see if there's an underlying cause of the constipation. The vet will be able to give you the most appropriate treatment advice.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Aesa wrote: »
    Hi everyone, as the thread title says our poor kitty is a little bit constipated. She's just tried to go for a poo and ended up with a poo-hanging-from-bum scenario, which she's wiped all over the kitchen floor. My mum was wondering if it would be okay to give her a senekot tablet, so I thought I'd post here before we try it. I've googled and the reactions are mixed.

We used to be able to give her something called catalax, a paste she'd just lick off our fingers, which sorted her out before. She's randomly gone off it though and downright refuses it, even when it's mixed into food!

If the senekot is a no-go, does anyone have any other suggestions?

I would strongly suggest consulting a vet first for advice even if only by telephone. Cats are so much smaller than humans so you have to be careful what drugs, and in what doses, are given to the animal. Furthermore, there may be underlying causes to the constipation which need to be identified and addressed.

That said, small amounts of liquid paraffin (available from chemists) well mixed in with cat food would be a better alternative. If this problem persistently reoccurs then a vet visit is strongly recommended.
  • Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would strongly suggest consulting a vet first for advice even if only by telephone.
    I agree with this. If you can't get to the vets you could phone them. One of the vet nurses should be able to give you some advice and tell you what to do or whether you should make an appointment for your cat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    As the others have said, see a vet or at least speak to one of the veterinary nurses. Senokot can give an adult terrible stomach pains so think what it may do to a cat. Cat laxatives contain the dosages the cat's system can cope with.

You need to know why the cat is constipated - it could be dehydrated, have a blockage or all manner of things. The vet will assess the cat properly and take into account what you feed it, general health, whether it has access to water etc.

In the meantime you could try giving the cat a little oily fish, like tuna in oil or sardines in oil as that can help ease things through gently.

Hope the cat is sorted out soon!
  • AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. She has been to see the vet, she goes regularly as she has hyper thyroidism, and was told to take catalax then. As I said, she's been fine with it, but has randomly gone off it. Will get the mother to ring the vets on Monday as they're closed over the weekends, and in the meantime will crack open the sardines for her :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek::eek::eek: I had Senokot once and threw the pack away I was so ill. Please please do not even considering giving it to a kitten!
  • AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek::eek::eek: I had Senokot once and threw the pack away I was so ill. Please please do not even considering giving it to a kitten!

I'm not going to, don't worry!! And she's not a kitten, more an OAP, she's sixteen :)
  • Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who had to give their cat an enema. I can't even get mine to take tablets, I dread to think how difficult an enema would be to give.

I hope your kitty gets better soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find sardines or other tinned fish with sunflower oil is great, i don't drain all the oil (keep approx 50%), mash the fish with oil and the wee devil eats it up, next day Bonus visit/s to litter tray....:D
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Aesa wrote: »
    I'm not going to, don't worry!! And she's not a kitten, more an OAP, she's sixteen :)

i'd take her the vet. Constipation was the beginning of the end for my last cat who also was 16/17. Vet couldnt give a reason for her constipation except for the fact her 'pushing reflex' has just given up. I had to give her oil daily and went the vets a few times with her to have the 'obstruction' squeezed out - wasnt nice for her or the vet:D
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow70 wrote: »
    I know someone who had to give their cat an enema. I can't even get mine to take tablets, I dread to think how difficult an enema would be to give.

I hope your kitty gets better soon.

We had to give our poor little kitten enemas it was horrid...:(
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always recommended liquid parafin by the vets when my cats got bunged up. Just a wee spoonful in their food and the problem went.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A teaspoonful of olive oil always did the trick for my old cat.
  • MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 372,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cat suffers from the same problem. We give her paraffin in a syringe as and when we feel she needs it, which unfortunately seems to be at least every other day. Now that she is getting older she is having more trouble in going. To help things along we also give her laxapet on a daily basis.

It has been about a year since we took her to the vet for her constipation problem. And I hope we don't have to go down that route again. It was very stressful for all of us. Last time our sweet little cat took longer than she should have to come round from her general anaesthetic and therefore had to stay in overnight. I was very upset. But thankfully she was ok to come home the next day.