Options

Need a simple and reliable Freeview PVR

It's for an elderly relative. My old Topfield TF5800 was no good, too complex!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Does the TV your relative has now already have a Freeview tuner and is it HD or HD ready, if so will they want a PVR with Freeview HD as well, will they want to record 2 channels or just one, how big a disc will they want, and how much do you want to pay?
  • Options
    AyeJayAyeJay Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    How can a PVR have varying levels of complexity? You highlight the show you want, press record, then watch it later on by selecting from a list.

Maybe a Humax T2 with a USB stick so he/she can at least pause live TV?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AyeJay wrote: »

It has to be a proper HDD, if I remember correctly at least 160GB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Does the TV your relative has now already have a Freeview tuner and is it HD or HD ready, if so will they want a PVR with Freeview HD as well, will they want to record 2 channels or just one, how big a disc will they want, and how much do you want to pay?

Sorry, should have given some more details. It's a new TV with Freeview built in. I don't think having Freeview HD is important. The ability to record 2 channels will be good, but it's not vital. The size of the disk and cost are not concerns.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AyeJay wrote: »
    How can a PVR have varying levels of complexity? You highlight the show you want, press record, then watch it later on by selecting from a list.

Remember, this is an elderly person. :p
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For ease of use it has to be any Panasonic recorder IE
    Press big green button to show the epg , highlight the program you want , press "OK" a few times = job done .
    To show your recordings , just press the big "direct navigator" button , highlight the recording you want to play and press OK

And if the TV supports it the recorder will switch the TV to HDMI 1 automatically !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've searched through the Which? (and some other) online reviews for the PVR that is the easist to use and most reliable and on balance it has to be the Humax HDR Fox T2. As well as being easy to use and set up, it has a well laid out EPG, which it retains in standby, so is immediately available when turned on. It has twin HD Freeview tuners, can record subtitles and supports digital audio description. The remote control's main function buttons are large and easy to use, but less common ones are small with small labelling.

Reliability is high at 90%, only beaten by Panasonic at 95%. Which? have tested 4 Panasonic PVRs, but do not rate them highly on picture, features, or ease of use. To be fair, though, the latest tested model is August 2011.

I was going to place the Which? highly rated TVonics DTR-HV250 as first choice over the Humax. It has the same features as the Humax, with a much better remote control, but without the HD Freeview. Unfortunately there is no data on reliability and Amazon customer views are not over-complementary.
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trust me the Humax fox t2 is not a "elderly person" product ! far to quirky and as for the remote ?
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    Trust me the Humax fox t2 is not a "elderly person" product ! far to quirky and as for the remote ?

Most of the commonly used buttons such as the numbers, menu, standby etc, are quite large and although others such as media, guide, back and exit are smaller these are arranged around the central ok button, so I don't think it's a bad remote for anyone.

How is the box quirky? I did it quite easy to use with most functions being just a few button presses away. The EPG is nice and clear and so is the recording library. Series link recordings are automatically stored in folders so they are stored together. One off recordings are not.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,624
    Forum Member
    One option is to persevere with the Topfield 5800 properly configured (ie with MyStuff) and with a programmable remote that gives them the essential basic functions but stops them accessing the complicated stuff (eg no Menu button) and getting themselves into trouble.

TBH any PVR is likely to prove a challenge to a lesser or greater degree and need some handholding to get out of difficulties at some time or another. A lot depends of how easy it is for family or friends to be able to nip round and give them that help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just quickly want to say that sometimes elderly people don't like to bother family and friends if they have a problem using TV and DVD remotes. They don't like to be any trouble or bother people repeatedly, especially if their memory is poor and they forget how to use the remote or lose the notes you gave them, because they can't remember where they put them.

They are inclined to mess things up and then just do without, which I think is sad. If only more of these electronics manufacturers would take this factor into account when designing remotes. They are even worse off if they have no family or tech savvy friends.

Elderly people deserve better.
  • Options
    jamcambsjamcambs Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I've searched through the Which? (and some other) online reviews for the PVR that is the easist to use and most reliable and on balance it has to be the Humax HDR Fox T2. As well as being easy to use and set up, it has a well laid out EPG, which it retains in standby, so is immediately available when turned on. It has twin HD Freeview tuners, can record subtitles and supports digital audio description. The remote control's main function buttons are large and easy to use, but less common ones are small with small labelling.

Reliability is high at 90%, only beaten by Panasonic at 95%. Which? have tested 4 Panasonic PVRs, but do not rate them highly on picture, features, or ease of use. To be fair, though, the latest tested model is August 2011.

I was going to place the Which? highly rated TVonics DTR-HV250 as first choice over the Humax. It has the same features as the Humax, with a much better remote control, but without the HD Freeview. Unfortunately there is no data on reliability and Amazon customer views are not over-complementary.

Richer sounds have the HD version TVonics for £150
    I have got 2 TVonics and not had any issues. My sister has the new TVonics HD one and has had no issues.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/freeview-freesat-pvr/tvonics/dtr-z500hd/tvon-dtr-z500hd
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Sebby* wrote: »
    Remember, this is an elderly person. :p

My 86 year old Father manages the Humax without any problems. He can also use the Sky plus box in the other room.
    As usual, far to much generalisation on here.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Sebby: We have a Humax HDR T2 and a Humax 9200 which is now an obsolete product. I got my 75 year old sister a Humax 9150 with 160gb drive which has the same epg and remote control as the 9200 and 9300, the epg display on the 9150 and 9300 is larger and the remote is simpler to use and clearer to use than the HDR T2
    Here’s a quick Granny guide to the Humax 9150. http://chainganger.co.uk/Humax.htm
    Technically the HDR T2 is a far superior product but for simplicity with no frills one or two button click go for 9150 or 9300.