Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I nlike the way they include gold-plated HDMi leads. Presumably they think if you'll spend £6,000+ on a telly you'll buy anyrhing.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until they start bringing out Super HD sources this won't have any advantage over a 1080 set except as a computer monitor.

Not even sure if that resolution would be supported by most computer graphics cards?

'tis the future though, and points to the time when a large screen in the lounge is used for more than just TV IMO.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it does have glasses free 3D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Why would you want Super HD when Ultra HD is where it is at? :confused:
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm I wonder how well the glasses less 3D works?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevemorg wrote: »

I'd rather have an OLED TV because there's virtually no Super High Definition sources to hook that TV up to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Why would you want Super HD when Ultra HD is where it is at? :confused:

Maybe Ultra High Definition is the next level. In other words, no Super High Definition, only this for the next level.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Maybe Ultra High Definition is the next level. In other words, no Super High Definition, only this for the next level.

Neither really matter - current HD is limited by the excessive compression used, using decent bandwidth would improve the pictures more than enough.

Any higher resolution would just require viewing even closer, and make SD too poor to watch.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On demestic sets, anything over 1080 is a waste. You are getting to a point where the human eye wont be able to see the difference. A bit like saying your inkjet printer has 2,880dpi so it must be better than one with 1,200dpi. Well yes it is, but you need an eye glass to see the difference.

There is no broadcast of super/ultra hd discs anyway.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    Until they start bringing out Super HD sources this won't have any advantage over a 1080 set except as a computer monitor.

Not even sure if that resolution would be supported by most computer graphics cards?

'tis the future though, and points to the time when a large screen in the lounge is used for more than just TV IMO.

Not on 55 inch sets it isn't the future. You'd need to sit 2 or 3 feet from it to see all the detail - even if the detail was broadcast, which it isn't. You'd need to sit so close that you'd have to cut a hole in your wall for your feet! :D

It's an utterly ridiculous piece of equipment but I'm sure a few gullible millionnaires or "up with the Jones's" technophiles will buy one. As for the 3D thing, well there's another gimmick, needing glasses or not.

Give me a 55 inch 1920x1080 OLED TV and 2D material, any day of the week. Or a plain old 55 inch Panasonic plasma for a third of the cost. :)
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Not on 55 inch sets it isn't the future. You'd need to sit 2 or 3 feet from it to see all the detail - even if the detail was broadcast, which it isn't. You'd need to sit so close that you'd have to cut a hole in your wall for your feet! :D

It's an utterly ridiculous piece of equipment but I'm sure a few gullible millionnaires or "up with the Jones's" technophiles will buy one. As for the 3D thing, well there's another gimmick, needing glasses or not.

Give me a 55 inch 1920x1080 OLED TV and 2D material, any day of the week. Or a plain old 55 inch Panasonic plasma for a third of the cost. :)

The more pixels the more realistic the image will look.
    Whether broadcasts will ever get up to this level is another matter, but disks or downloads may eventually be available in super or ultra HD.
    And there's no reason SD would look any worse on this than on a 1080 set of the same size, because the resolution is just being scaled up.

I have my computer connected to a 23" 1080 monitor and to my 40" 1080 TV, and the desktop looks better on the 23" because the pixels are smaller, and the text looks smoother. On the 40" you can see the pixelsthat make up the text and images. So if you scaled that up to 55" the pixels would look comparatively huge at 1920x1080.

I suspect the likes of gamers will fuel a demand for large super (ultra) high def displays, even if it makes little difference for normal telly viewing.

Having said that, it'll only be a niche market until the price comes below £1000.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont forget all that extra bandwidth needed. Tricky enough on satellite and cable, but as for Freeview....a move to super/ultra hd might be a step to far.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    To think, I saw my first demo of Ultra-HD when I was over in Japan nearly seven years ago....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    considering the small number of HD channels, should we not get all the current SD ones to current HD standard first, before rolling out further high-end HD options.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,026
    Forum Member
    I am going to the Super HD Test Event on the 24th of July 2012, I will report back of course
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    On demestic sets, anything over 1080 is a waste. You are getting to a point where the human eye wont be able to see the difference. A bit like saying your inkjet printer has 2,880dpi so it must be better than one with 1,200dpi. Well yes it is, but you need an eye glass to see the difference.

There is no broadcast of super/ultra hd discs anyway.

I have to disagree. By changing from a 32" TV to a 50" TV you are more than doubling the surface area and viewed from the same distance the loss in resolution is very noticeable. To have the same clarity as the 32" on the 50" TV must be stunning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    considering the small number of HD channels, should we not get all the current SD ones to current HD standard first, before rolling out further high-end HD options.

There appears to be a lot in High Definition. I can't see what other channels could be in High Definition.

BBC HD
    BBC One HD
    ITV 1 hd
    4HD
    5HD
    NHK World HD
    Sky Atlantic HD
    Sky 1 HD
    Sky Living HD
    Sky Arts 1 HD
    Sky Arts 2 HD
    Sky Sports F1 HD
    FX HD
    Comedy Central HD
    SyFy HD
    Universal HD
    Sky News HD
    Food HD
    Dave HD
    Alibi HD
    Watch HD
    E4 HD
    ITV 2 HD
    ITV 3 HD
    ITV 4 HD
    MTV HD
    Star Plus HD
    Discovery HD
    History HD
    National Geographic HD
    Nat Geo Wild HD
    Animal Planet HD
    Eden HD
    Disney HD
    Disney XD HD
    Cartoon Network HD
    Nickelodeon HD
    Eurosport HD
    MTV Live HD
    Sky Movies Premiere HD
    Sky Movies Showcase HD
    Sky Movies Comedy HD
    Sky Movies Family HD
    Sky Movies Action & Adventure HD
    Sky Movies Modern Greats HD
    Sky Movies Sci Fi & Horror HD
    Sky Movies Drama & Romance HD
    Sky Movies Crime & Thriller HD
    Sky Movies Classics HD
    Sky Movies Indie HD
    Disney Cinemagic HD
    MGM HD
    ESPN HD
    ESPN America HD

There you go.
  • AyeJayAyeJay Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    3840x2160 is QFHD (Quad Full) not 'Super'. Nice to know Currys can't even get the name of the resolution right.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There appears to be a lot in High Definition. I can't see what other channels could be in High Definition.

BBC HD
    BBC One HD
    ITV 1 hd
    4HD
    5HD
    NHK World HD
    Sky Atlantic HD
    Sky 1 HD
    Sky Living HD
    Sky Arts 1 HD
    Sky Arts 2 HD
    Sky Sports F1 HD
    FX HD
    Comedy Central HD
    SyFy HD
    Universal HD
    Sky News HD
    Food HD
    Dave HD
    Alibi HD
    Watch HD
    E4 HD
    ITV 2 HD
    ITV 3 HD
    ITV 4 HD
    MTV HD
    Star Plus HD
    Discovery HD
    History HD
    National Geographic HD
    Nat Geo Wild HD
    Animal Planet HD
    Eden HD
    Disney HD
    Disney XD HD
    Cartoon Network HD
    Nickelodeon HD
    Eurosport HD
    MTV Live HD
    Sky Movies Premiere HD
    Sky Movies Showcase HD
    Sky Movies Comedy HD
    Sky Movies Family HD
    Sky Movies Classics HD
    Sky Movies Indie HD
    Disney Cinemagic HD
    MGM HD
    ESPN HD
    ESPN America HD

There you go.

You forgot:

Sky Sports 1 HD
    Sky Sports 2 HD
    Sky Sports 3 HD
    Sky Sports 4 HD
    Sky Sports News HD
    ;):)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member

How about all the vastly higher number of SD only channels? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC HD
    BBC One HD
    ITV 1 hd
    4HD
    5HD
    NHK World HD
    Sky Atlantic HD
    Sky 1 HD
    Sky Living HD
    Sky Arts 1 HD
    Sky Arts 2 HD
    Sky Sports F1 HD
    FX HD
    Comedy Central HD
    SyFy HD
    Universal HD
    Sky News HD
    Food HD
    Dave HD
    Alibi HD
    Watch HD
    E4 HD
    ITV 2 HD
    ITV 3 HD
    ITV 4 HD
    MTV HD
    Star Plus HD
    Discovery HD
    History HD
    National Geographic HD
    Nat Geo Wild HD
    Animal Planet HD
    Eden HD
    Disney HD
    Disney XD HD
    Cartoon Network HD
    Nickelodeon HD
    Eurosport HD
    MTV Live HD
    Sky Movies Premiere HD
    Sky Movies Showcase HD
    Sky Movies Comedy HD
    Sky Movies Family HD
    Sky Movies Classics HD
    Sky Movies Indie HD
    Disney Cinemagic HD
    MGM HD
    ESPN HD
    ESPN America HD

There you go.

Only if you have Sky+HD....

Otherwise, BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD,C4hd, and......thats about it. Dont even have Ch5hd yet!
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if you have Sky+HD....

Otherwise, BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD,C4hd, and......thats about it. Dont even have Ch5hd yet!

CH5-HD is free on a Sky box if you have a expired subcscription card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not on freeview or freesat though.

Dont have a Sky box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I prefer OLED. I think all these hds mentioned above, ultra hd, super hd and other whatever hds have enough picture quality to watch a nice movie. Also I think that almost all well known brands have similar technical power so it will be difficult to differentiate them just by saying picture quality, frame rate, etc. But I think LG’s OLED has better design. It is remarkably thin and gorgeous. It will decorate my living room well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    The glasses-free 3d sounds tempting but I would like see reviews and tests before I can decide. I thought that the active glasses were going to be the hit, but it turned out to be a disaster for me. It is one of the reasons why I prefer passive. It says that the built in camera will track the viewer but I see many flaws in this. People don’t just sit down in front of a tv and watch still. We may lay down or have something covering us. I will have to go with the oled until further information.