Tips for removing paint from glass and metal

rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
Forum Member
I've painted my front door this weekend, this is the first time I've decorated by myself. The door looks fantastic but I've managed to get paint everywhere. I put masking tape over everything I couldn't remove but it didn't work as well as I hoped. What tips can you give me to remove the paint from the glass and the metal fixings?

Comments

• GlowstickGlowstick Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    scraper?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    white spirit. or a fingernail.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I figured it might come down to elbow grease. I'll get some white spirit and give it a go. The door is still drying so I won't be trying anything til tomorrow
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it should flick off really easy with a fingernail, maybe a dinner knife.
  • GlowstickGlowstick Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    just scrape it off with a plastic knife or credit card even. Its not difficult.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A small dab of white spirit over the area concerned, left to soak in for 30 minutes. Try using a cotton bud.

Will then scrape away very easily for fresh paint.

Before the white spirit is applied maybe use a craft knife to gently score alongside the door frame/glass boundary so the paint does not peel away from the wood as well.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glass is easy, use a razor blade. We have a thing you put the blade in. If the metal is hard, the same. If it is aluminium, you will scratch it this way, so you will need paint stripper.
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Use a naked Stanley blade much safer than a razor blade