Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    okay- this was probably one of the most underwhelming episodes of this series so far-
    - some truly atrocious and cheesy acting especially from doris and kitty
    - pointless storylines- with the sherlock holmes author, the seance, rosalie's coming out and again kitty and doris- its like they're running out of story lines in this show
    - the only remotely interesting story was the issuing of stocks and the bank's reluctance against harry's 'american' reputation but it wasn't handled well in this show especially with the corny result of lady mae suddenly 'persuading' them

I know it seems like I hate this show but I genuinely was impressed by the first episode but it just seems to have gradually gone downhill (with some exceptions)- this show was supposed to be about changing retail, fashion, advertising etc etc and some it has been but quite frankly not enough and it falls apart when it starts focusing on the side characters.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    That woman was Gordon Britass' wife wasn't she?
    Tonight's episode didn't hold my interest too much but I wouldn't miss it as I'm enjoying the series.

She was in Prisoners Wives, she is working hard.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and it falls apart when it starts focusing on the side characters.

Yes I can't really work out this 'focusing on the side characters' thing. It almost seems as if we know just as much about the minor characters now as we do about the supposed heroine of the piece, Agnes. Well I'm assuming she's meant to be the heroine or maybe that's just 'cause I conflate her with the Denise character in The Paradise. The show flits between different characters each week. Kitty is really a ridiculous character too - a real caricature of a silly shop girl.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I can't really work out this 'focusing on the side characters' thing. It almost seems as if we know just as much about the minor characters now as we do about the supposed heroine of the piece, Agnes. Well I'm assuming she's meant to be the heroine or maybe that's just 'cause I conflate her with the Denise character in The Paradise. The show flits between different characters each week. Kitty is really a ridiculous character too - a real caricature of a silly shop girl.

She is isn't she? :D Perhaps she will develop depth later. The other girl is much more sympathetic so far.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bebecat wrote: »
    I knew the mystery man sending chocolates would be the brother. Not much suspense there.
    Yeah guess that without trouble as well.
    okay- this was probably one of the most underwhelming episodes of this series so far-
    - pointless storylines- with the sherlock holmes author, the seance, rosalie's coming out and again kitty and doris- its like they're running out of story lines in this show
    Agreed, the ending was a bit dull too. The seance scene seemed to be a desperate idea to bring the effect of Selfridge's dad back to the forefront for the rest of the episode. And I agree with the thread's sentiments about Mr Crabbe - he looks a cross between Parker and Kenneth Connor. ;)
    I know it seems like I hate this show but I genuinely was impressed by the first episode but it just seems to have gradually gone downhill (with some exceptions)...
    I feel the same about the good start and can see your point, I said after last week's episode that the pomp the viewer got about this programme before it started about the beginnings and going-ons behind now very known name seems to be mountain reduced to a molehill. It's a shame really as I so want to enjoy the programme and I still watch for the chance to do so.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    And I agree with the thread's sentiments about Mr Crabbe - he looks a cross between Parker and Kenneth Connor. ;)

He reminds me of somebody off an old black and white Billy Liar show we saw on a DVD not long back but forgotten who it was.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who spotted Martin Freeman as an extra in the seance scenes?

His partner is Amanda Abbington (Miss Mardle) and there was the Sherlock Holmes connection too.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

- the only remotely interesting story was the issuing of stocks and the bank's reluctance against harry's 'american' reputation but it wasn't handled well in this show especially with the corny result of lady mae suddenly 'persuading' them

I know it seems like I hate this show but I genuinely was impressed by the first episode but it just seems to have gradually gone downhill (with some exceptions)- this show was supposed to be about changing retail, fashion, advertising etc etc and some it has been but quite frankly not enough and it falls apart when it starts focusing on the side characters.

I like Doris and Kitty!!! :o:D
  • fudbeerfudbeer Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree boring and irrelevant storylines and the banking story could have been so much better,
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    They probably just should have called the show "Selfridges" if they could, or something department-store like, since it does seem to be about everyone who works there, and not just Mr. S. and his ideas for the future. But I am fine with the side stories. Not many actors are going to want roles if they never have a storyline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Who spotted Martin Freeman as an extra in the seance scenes?

His partner is Amanda Abbington (Miss Mardle) and there was the Sherlock Holmes connection too.

He was seriously an extra? No I didn't spot him! And I had no clue that the actress playing Miss Mardle was his partner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bebecat wrote: »
    Not many actors are going to want roles if they never have a storyline.

Not saying they can 'never' have a storyline but the minor characters are handled in a peculiar way in this show. In say, The Paradise, you do get to see the minor characters on and off but it's still clear that the main characters are Denise and Moray. Here the comparatively larger focus on minor characters seems to make the show meander too much, so that it lacks a sense of narrative drive and impetus.

I mean we're meant to think that Agnes is this girl with a good head for business but we're God knows how many eps in and I haven't seen too much evidence of that yet. All I think she has done is help with a window display and then erm....get stuck on dressing a mannequin in yesterday's ep and she even had to ask for Leclair's help! There needs to be more of an emphasis on her and less on stupid things that presumably don't really go anywhere e.g. Kitty gossiping.

I'm still enjoying it though for a Sunday evening show - it's entertaining enough. It struck me whilst I was watching last night that the best way to approach it is probably to think of it as an early version of a soap in terms of its flitting between various characters.
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Not saying they can 'never' have a storyline but the minor characters are handled in a peculiar way in this show. In say, The Paradise, you do get to see the minor characters on and off but it's still clear that the main characters are Denise and Moray. Here the comparatively larger focus on minor characters seems to make the show meander too much, so that it lacks a sense of narrative drive and impetus.

I mean we're meant to think that Agnes is this girl with a good head for business but we're God knows how many eps in and I haven't seen too much evidence of that yet. All I think she has done is help with a window display and then erm....get stuck on dressing a mannequin in yesterday's ep and she even had to ask for Leclair's help! There needs to be more of an emphasis on her and less on stupid things that presumably don't really go anywhere e.g. Kitty gossiping.

I'm still enjoying it though for a Sunday evening show - it's entertaining enough. It struck me whilst I was watching last night that the best way to approach it is probably to think of it as an early version of a soap in terms of its flitting between various characters.

Well I think Agnes was inventing a reason to get the Frenchman close enough to kiss. But I have not seen where she is such a marketing genius either, they just keep telling us she is. Maybe compared to the silly shop girls...
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Mr Crabbe - he looks a cross between Parker and Kenneth Connor.

He's on now on an old episode of Hornblower
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Katherine Kelly has QUIT Mr Selfridge and will not be in the second series: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4786089/Mr-Selfridge-will-return-for-second-series.html

The Daily Mail (in an interview with her) have claimed otherwise... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2275162/The-lady-tramp-Katherine-Kelly-transformation-Coronation-Streets-drug-addicted-Becky-McDonald-sexy-sophisticated-Lady-Mae-Mr-Selfridge--soap-.html

Katherine Kelly also tweeted her delight at the recomissioning of the series, which may indicate she's expecting another paycheque for it!
  • andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I just thought the introduction of Arthur Doyle was pointless- what was the sherlock holmes author and the seance and spirituality stuff doing in mr selfridge. Its like a guest of the week- next week is mr woolworths, the one after has Ernest Shackleton (antarctic explorer)- soon they will run out guests and storylines. The show sometimes seems to be in alternative universe and doesn't seem to be the retail drama that focuses on the changing fashions, customer experiences etc in the edwardian era- its just stupid.
    The paradise wasn't anything outstanding- more like a 'fluffy' drama but it actually was enjoyable and there was intrigue PLUS it did focus more on retail, promotion towards female customers etc and that was in the 1870s when it was just beginning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    Katherine Kelly also tweeted her delight at the recomissioning of the series, which may indicate she's expecting another paycheque for it!

Aww - I don't like Lady Mae. :(
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was seriously an extra? No I didn't spot him! And I had no clue that the actress playing Miss Mardle was his partner.

He was sitting in the front row during the seance scenes.

Amanda Abbington is the blonde in the Malteaser ads with Katherine Parkinson. She looks very different in Mr Selfridge.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pushing the Woolworths angle could be interesting; it's the kind of thing they should be focusing on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're fleshing Doris out as a character now which is good.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder who will win in the long run; Selfridges or Woolworths?

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder who will win in the long run; Selfridges or Woolworths?

:D

:D I wonder whether the series will continue into the 2000s? :p

Ha, I think Victor's suddenly realised he's being played.
    I've justread about Katherine Kelly leaving the series; it's a shame as I really like Lady Mae. :(
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    ooohhhh Agnes you lucky girl..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selfridge and Woolworth at war - the series needed something like this.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and how did that work out for you F.W. ?

Should have stuck to sensible ideas like building skyscrapers in New York. Oh wait........!