Detectorists

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Well, they couldn't be allowed to find it, could they :D That would have been the end of the story, and no second series!

Very true, LaVieEnRose.

My reaction to hearing there will a new series was a little mixed. On the one hand I'm delighted to be getting more, but on the other I'm praying it doesn't stray into soap opera territory,
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a great little series. Thanks for highlighting it :) Really lovely.
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    I think Lance saw some of the hoard when he was digging but didn't say anything because he want's life to go on the way it is. ;-)

i never thought of that. You could be right, my take on lance is yes he won £300k or whatever it was but he's quite content with the status quo, moving fruit/veg around, keeping his tr7 on the road and detectoring with his mate.

i sincerely hope pressure isn't put on mackenzie to 'improve' anything about the show i.e. to increase its audience share. For me it works 'because' it's a quiet and unassuming drama not in spite of it. Of course it should evolve, characters develop etc but i only hope it remains quiet and unassuming.

love it.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something made from so little - two unglamorous heroes with British teeth, a nerdish hobby, ordinary relationships. It ended up being a highlight of the week for me, and I found myself very fond of Lance and Andy. I also loved Sophie Thomson as the wife of the DMDC president.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching the final episode.

It didn't disappoint.

And as if that wasn't enough, we found out about another series coming next year!

Brill'.

Congrats to all involved.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So after all that Lance was right in his opinion of the Venerable Bede!!

I hope they haven't finished with the storyline of the Saxon hoard as this show wouldn't be the same without Larry
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The body in the Tupperware. Gay Martin.

Perfect.

:D
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it.

Do we know how many saw it?
    Did the viewing figures rise through the series from word of mouth?

From Ratings thread :
    [edit - error! ] 22:00: Detectorists - 0.432m (2.5%)
    My mistake, that was from 16th Oct

From Ratings for yesterday:
    On BBC Four, Detectorists concluded its first series with 582k (3.4%) at 10pm.

I'd expect more. Still, for me I don't WANT to watch what the masses are watching - I want to make my own choices based on my taste and for those programmes to get enough viewers not be cancelled.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,603
    Forum Member
    I loved how the invisble dogs 'disappeared into thin air'. :D
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    I think Lance saw some of the hoard when he was digging but didn't say anything because he want's life to go on the way it is. ;-)
    I looked but I didnt detect that Clip> http://youtu.be/AF70cuyoZ6c
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Loved this series, such a gentle and well acted comedy.

The characters were so well constructed, they felt very real. I'm sure there is plenty more material for another series, can't wait I could watch it every night !
  • StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Great to read all the positive contributions here and justifiably so imo. :) A well thought out and beautifully acted/scripted conclusion to the series has whetted my appetite for more.

If MC's collaboration with Gervais has taught him anything and from a comedic timing and pace point of view I think it clearly has,I would expect S2 to be the final instalment of this welcome slice of British comedy genius.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    If MC's collaboration with Gervais has taught him anything and from a comedic timing and pace point of view I think it clearly has

Crook was brilliant in The Office, but he's as cool in this as he was a cock in that. I love his 'look' in this, with his long hair and that tatty cloth-cap-come-baseball-cap.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to find him cool in this, but I did. If I was as lean as him, I'd be out shopping in the charity shops looking for the clothes he wears and one of those caps :)
  • blancoelectra97blancoelectra97 Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    Great to read all the positive contributions here and justifiably so imo. :) A well thought out and beautifully acted/scripted conclusion to the series has whetted my appetite for more.

If MC's collaboration with Gervais has taught him anything and from a comedic timing and pace point of view I think it clearly has,I would expect S2 to be the final instalment of this welcome slice of British comedy genius.

Better than Grevais too.It is genius,all the characters are different characters the lot of them,utterly fantastic.

I cry watching it x.
  • blancoelectra97blancoelectra97 Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    :o I didn't know that.

Diana Rigg from The Avengers pop pickers.
    Tried to put up a pic of her to show the likeness,failed.:D So google her.

'Downgrade?,better off with a paper plate on the end of a stick' :D

Becky laughing at/with them is a great edge to the seriousness of those 2,and now gets on with Sophie.

The romanticism in MacCrook has nailed this as a show,the casting, (espesh Toby Jones as Lance),the dialogue,the filming/photography,the almost war between factions and the script.

The music rocks it poignantly but somehow happily
  • KittygodfreeKittygodfree Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this series was a highlight of my week i started to really care about the characters and the eccentric landowner was brilliant so glad its coming back
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    I loved how the invisble dogs 'disappeared into thin air'. :D
    "You found the dogs then?" "No these are new ones"
    "Those other ones, what do you call them?" "Simon and Garfunkel" "No, arseholes"
    Just caught up with the last two eps. So funny, the lottery win reveal scene was brilliant. Annoying his wife knew all as long. Loved the University challange jokes too, no one I know watches it.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it would have been the perfect ending for a one off series. Recently I've been disappointed by shows that have gone on for too long and lose the magic that they had for me at the beginning, I hope this doesn't happen with Detectorists...
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone on the IMDB forum is asking for shooting locations, "especially Bishop's farm".

I wonder if they realise the treasure wasn't real?
  • Biker JeffBiker Jeff Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this series, so glad there will be another.
    Some real gems tucked away on BBC4.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can a new pound coin be found two feet underground in an unploughed field?

Not a bad series really, will watch next instalment.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great little series and yesh it is coming back!!!!

also had an idea for a certain mr jones as him as a "supervillian" that i thought up days ago :D
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    How can a new pound coin be found two feet underground in an unploughed field?

Not a bad series really, will watch next instalment.
    I thinkthat was the point"the devil farts in my face yet again Baldrick"

I thought the locations were lovely, that village and even the fields were beautiful. The good weather helped. I would like to see them but I know the treasures not real;-)
    Mixed feelings about another series
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I can't work out how she already knew about his lottery win.

He said that he found out that he'd won on the same day that she left.

So how could she have opened a letter regarding the win?

I've been mulling it over.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't work out how she already knew about his lottery win.

He said that he found out that he'd won on the same day that she left.

So how could she have opened a letter regarding the win?

I've been mulling it over.

she probably had to go back a few times to pick up her stuff .