Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• i4ui4u Posts: 54,987
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    I've seen that as May shorthand for 'I have no comment to make to the press' since this thing kicked off tbh.

So May publicly lied. :)

That Clarkson isn't a knob, that May was sober and was aware of what happened and is supporting Clarkson but doesn't think he is 'rather likeable.'
    Forum Member
    That 'official briefing' the Mail on Sunday had....

I wonder if there's more to it....on the Media Show yesterday Steve Hewlett seemed to poo poo it went a guest referred to it.

I don't see how the source is protected by not naming him or her is it was an official briefing as the BBC would know who it was. On the Mail Online website it doesn't come up as a 'related story' even where they report Clarkson was furious and seeking legal advice.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC's report into Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson is to be handed over to the director general next week.

The internal investigation into Clarkson's suspension, following a "fracas" with a producer, will be considered by Tony Hall next week.

Director of BBC Scotland, Ken MacQuarrie, who is leading the investigation, "is now considering the evidence", a BBC spokesperson said.

"Once this has been considered, we will set out any further steps."

"The BBC will not be offering further commentary until then," the spokesperson concluded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31970469
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGAVT wrote: »
    Interesting story in the Mirror that the BBC wanted to bring back Top Gear this week with just May and Hammond but they both refused to without Clarkson.
    I don't think BBC Two would have launched a brand new Simon Reeve series in the Sunday 8pm slot if they had any intention of putting Top Gear back in the slot the following week.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

The suspense on DS will build to a crescendo, although it's not clear from that report when a decision will be made. Sounds like they have gathered as much evidence as they plan to at this stage, Ken MacQuarrie is evaluating (I wonder if he makes a recommendation), then it's on to Lord Hall. So, clearly no TG episode on BBC2 this weekend, probably not next weekend either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    The suspense on DS will build to a crescendo
    And plenty of time to re-visit all of the arguments again. ;)
    although it's not clear from that report when a decision will be made. Sounds like they have gathered as much evidence as they plan to at this stage, Ken MacQuarrie is evaluating (I wonder if he makes a recommendation), then it's on to Lord Hall. So, clearly no TG episode on BBC2 this weekend, probably not next weekend either.
    Looks like it could be down to Lord Hall then - I wonder if Ken MacQuarrie will simply present the gathered evidence, or will he present a conclusion or recommendation (cf. "set out any further steps").
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    So May publicly lied. :)

That Clarkson isn't a knob, that May was sober and was aware of what happened and is supporting Clarkson but doesn't think he is 'rather likeable.'

May was talking to the press, not a court, so he can say whatever he likes to either wind them up or get them to go away.

The press are never shy of slanting a story to suit an agenda, so they are free game in my opinion.
  • DJGAVTDJGAVT Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I don't think BBC Two would have launched a brand new Simon Reeve series in the Sunday 8pm slot if they had any intention of putting Top Gear back in the slot the following week.

It's not hard to move a series forward a few weeks.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    About an hour ago The Telegraph was carrying a report prominently linked to from the top of its front page, in which Hammond & May both explicitly refuted suggestions that they'd refused to make the last three episodes of this series without Clarkson. May was quoted as saying something along like "At no time were we even given the opportunity to reject doing it, so there's no possibility that we could have or did reject finishing the series without him"

I'm paraphrasing because that report has since completely disappeared from The Telegraph site. Odd. It was a prominent report with direct quotes, and now it's gone. I wonder if that's related to its ongoing visceral hatred of the BBC?

Edit. It's now appeared in the story about the inquiry being done next week.
    Meanwhile James May has denied reports that he and Richard Hammond refused to film the three remaining episodes of the current series of Top Gear withouth Clarkson.
    He said: "It's not true. No-one has ever asked me if I was going to do it, there was never any suggestion that we were going to do it. So I've never had an opportunity to refuse to do it.
    "I haven't spoke to anybody about it, it's completely new to me - I don't know where it's come from."
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May said quite clearly in his first interview with the BBC he wasn't there and didn't know what happened (but implied it was all pretty trivial).
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    May said quite clearly in his first interview with the BBC he wasn't there and didn't know what happened (but implied it was all pretty trivial).

Yeah but what he says can't be trusted as he likes to wind the media up. :)

He wasn't there but knows it was trivial?

Media report he and Hammond were asked to do last Sunday's programme and refused and now it's being reported May says he wasn't asked and hasn't spoken to anyone.....you couldn't make it up.

Might explain the actions of a certain reporter 'close' to this saga who terminated a phone call abruptly.
    Forum Member
    May was talking to the press, not a court, so he can say whatever he likes to either wind them up or get them to go away.

The press are never shy of slanting a story to suit an agenda, so they are free game in my opinion.

He was talking to the media in general the conduit through which he communicates with the public, many a celeb has come unstuck playing games with the press...he can't say he didn't say he was 'blind drunk' and Clarkson is a 'knob' but 'rather likeable'.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-shown-door-oisin-5366739

If it was me I would have told Clarkson where to stick his apology
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

I don't think the BBC and any of its employees (including Clarkson) have come out of this very well. Do you?

For a start its going to have taken them a month to investigate this. Then whatever it takes to reach a verdict, all while "he said, she said" is played out through the media.

Whether he deserves it or not, a clear agenda is being played out here. In the slowest possible way.

Even a Government public services department would have handled this affair more efficiently.
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    For a start its going to have taken them a month to investigate this. Then whatever it takes to reach a verdict, all while "he said, she said" is played out through the media.

Not sure where you get a month from....Clarkson was suspended Tuesday 10 March and the investigation was said to have been completed yesterday Thursday 19 March.

If reports are correct it would seem Clarkson reported what is said to be a 'fracas' on Monday 9 March, that's only 10 days in total.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mistake, though still think its been pretty slowly handled,
    Forum Member
    Something...I wonder if Clarkson informed the executive producer and old school chum before telling the BBC?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the Guardian comments:
    I was at Repton school with him when he was in sixth form and me and my friends age 13. An emotionally fragile, 6ft 5" arrogant bully given to violent tantrums. A really scary character, all the younger boys avoided him. He and Wilman shared a study together.

We still had a faggjng system then and we'd have to clean studies and cook food for the older boys. I remember Clarkson as being the worst, making younger boys go and warm up toilet seats in the cold outside bathrooms.

Luckily I wasn't his ****. So managed to avoid getting shouted at, laughed at etc. I don't remember him hitting anyone. Just throwing things around and kicking in doors in uncontrollable rage. Frightening is how I remember him. And childish.

I'm not sure if, in the end, he wasn't expelled from Repton for the same reasons he's going to leave the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the BBC and any of its employees (including Clarkson) have come out of this very well. Do you?

Whether he deserves it or not, a clear agenda is being played out here. In the slowest possible way.

Even a Government public services department would have handled this affair more efficiently.

i cannot disagree with any of that, apart from the "one month" claim - it has been much less than that, but still too long to get going & report back
    Forum Member
    My mistake, though still think its been pretty slowly handled,

Is it ?

If two teachers had a 'fracas' in the common room and one was suspended I don't imagine that would be dealt with within days as it's referred to the head, governers and/or local council.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing's for certain - if Clarkson does get reinstated, there will be "tears & tantrums", with much wailing & gnashing of teeth from some quarters.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    One thing's for certain - if Clarkson does get reinstated, there will be "tears & tantrums", with much wailing & gnashing of teeth from some quarters.

After last night, I would say he's been sacked.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/20/jeremy-clarkson-foul-mouthed-rant-bbc-top-gear

I mean, you're at a charity event, and you keep referring to BBC boses as 'F***ing Bastards'

That would also be a disciplinary offence- and he must have known it would make the papers.
    Forum Member
    Meanwhile as we wait.....

Did 'The Stig' also have a Repton connection?
    But according to Repton to the End, a book edited by school master of scholars John Plowright, “the Stig” was a name originally given to first-year Reptonians.

And of Staffordshire he wrote....
    "I went to school about half a mile from it, my virginity went west in Yoxall, I got my first speeding ticket on the A38 outside Barton under Needwood, and it was in Abbots Bromley that I learned how to be chemically inconvenienced, how to be thrown out of a pub, how to be chucked by a girlfriend without blubbing, how to drive fast, how to do everything that matters really.