Hi de Hi

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    Felix Bowness was a reknowned 'warm-up' man for a lot of BBC TV shows and was highly regarded, apparently. Maybe he just wasn't cut out for acting in comedy.

Bowness obviously not a good actor but somehow he seemed right for the role. Perhaps we just got used to him.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Wasn't Paul married to Caroline Quentin.?:confused:

She was his first wife, Sara Parkinson was his second
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Another bit of trivia :D
    Looking on IMDB it says she is the younger sister of Carol Drinkwater who played Helen Herriot in the first few series of All Creatures Great and Small!

As a young man, I used to lust after Carol Drinkwater. Linda Bellingham was lovely, but Carol did it for me.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but next week Are You Being Served replaces Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em from Wednesday and from Friday 'Allo 'Allo replaces Three Up, Two Down.

Plenty of David Croft stuff on then. Do you think we will then get Aint Half Hot Mum. ;-)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Plenty of David Croft stuff on then. Do you think we will then get Aint Half Hot Mum. ;-)

Much as I'd like to see it I doubt it.

It's OK having 'allo 'allo that takes the piss out of every nationality including the English, but I doubt if taking the piss out of every nationality including the Indians, would be considered acceptable.
    The BBC "works in mysterious ways."
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much as I'd like to see it I doubt it.

It's OK having 'allo 'allo that takes the piss out of every nationality including the English, but I doubt if taking the piss out of every nationality including the Indians, would be considered acceptable.
    The BBC "works in mysterious ways."

I know I wasn't being serious as I know they will never show it. :)

Thing is though in the show it's the British that are shown to be the idiots or the butt of the joke in particular the Sgt Major. The Concert Party were always nice to the native Characters.

The sticking point is Michael Bates as Rangi. Whilst he was Indian born and spoke Urdu before English he is still classed as "Blacking or Browning up".

Double standards again though it's all right for Walliams and Lucas to "Black up" on Little Britian and Come Fly WIth Me. However Ain't Half Hot Mum is considered as Racist show as there can be.
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Felix Bowness was a reknowned 'warm-up' man for a lot of BBC TV shows and was highly regarded, apparently. Maybe he just wasn't cut out for acting in comedy.

True. I used to go to quite a few shows at TVC in the early-mid 1980s and Felix was a fabulous warm-up man.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic but next week Are You Being Served replaces Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em from Wednesday and from Friday 'Allo 'Allo replaces Three Up, Two Down.

I suppose it would be more difficult to show You Rang M'Lord as each episode was 50 minutes long
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frustrating that some of the episodes are being shown out of order. I don't understand why either.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,362
    Forum Member
    This one is the prequel to last night's :confused::confused:

How silly!!
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Frustrating that some of the episodes are being shown out of order. I don't understand why either.

My mum just alerted me to this. Barmy. Switching between series and showing episodes in reverse order.

But they have managed to schedule 3 in the right order next week Sun-Mon-Tue, congratulations to them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    This one is the prequel to last night's :confused::confused:

How silly!!

It's so obvious, no one bothered to sort them out,

I guess "they were all in a box gathering dust in the archives and they pulled each tape out at random."
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so obvious, no one bothered to sort them out,

I guess "they were all in a box gathering dust in the archives and they pulled each tape out at random."

Apparently it's planned this way!!!!!

I've just sent an email to BBC Complaints to ask why.

If you think 'Complaint' is a bit strong, it's because they don't have an email address for 'explanations for making seemingly inexplicably daft decisions'

I've asked for a reply. If I get one I'll post it here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Pertwee in today's ep.

I wonder if repeat fees die when the actor dies, a cynical soul might expound that the reason the Beeb is NOW showing HDH is because most of the main cast have bought the farm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently it's planned this way!!!!!

I've just sent an email to BBC Complaints to ask why.

If you think 'Complaint' is a bit strong, it's because they don't have an email address for 'explanations for making seemingly inexplicably daft decisions'

I've asked for a reply. If I get one I'll post it here.

I'm sure you'll get a standard reply, thanking you for your comments, but your complaint will probably end up here with the rest of them.

tf2-warehouse-raiders-of-the-lost-ark_zpst0rcndmv.png
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching today, only realised that Laura Jackson who played one of the yellowcoats, was in the Only Fools and Horses episode Yuppie Love. She played the girl in the bar that laughs at Del's '69' joke.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,381
    Forum Member
    Excellent!! Have never liked SMDae, and only managed to watch 2 eps of 2u2D - just didn't grab me. So back to an afternoon of sitting down in front of the TV. :D
    For some reason I always think of Anton Du Beke when I see Barry Stuart-Hargreaves.

:o How dare you sir/madam! >:( He's nothing like the lovely Anton. <3
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I'm really surprised that Linda Regan is Carol Drinkwater's sister. There is a facial resemblance but it would never have crossed my mind! I did know, however, that Linda is married to Brian Murphy
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Felix bowness is such an appalling actor. The fact he looks like he is ranting about something in his credits scene every day irks me for sine reason

I know what you mean - he always used that ranting look to camera, whereas the other actors always aeemed to vary their credits bit for each episode
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »

:o How dare you sir/madam! >:( He's nothing like the lovely Anton. <3

I'm a sir.

Barry Stuart-Hargreaves 'real' name was Bert Pratt.

Anton Du Beke's real name is Tony Beke (but pronounced Beak)

So- a change of name was one similarity.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I know what you mean - he always used that ranting look to camera, whereas the other actors always aeemed to vary their credits bit for each episode

Ted always winks as does Barry. Sylvia and spike like a wink too. Winking was rife in the 50s
  • FiyeroFiyero Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im getting so confused with the order of episodes. First ted gets told off for showing a blue movie before he's shown it now we've seen the murder solved before the murder!
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fiyero wrote: »
    Im getting so confused with the order of episodes. First ted gets told off for showing a blue movie before he's shown it now we've seen the murder solved before the murder!

I was going to say something about this, I wonder what the issue is with just showing them in the order originally broadcast?
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I was going to say something about this, I wonder what the issue is with just showing them in the order originally broadcast?

You are doing what I have told countless people off for doing! ;-) You are thinking logically, which never seems to work with the Beeb.

Seriously, it really is ridiculous not to just show episodes of any repeats in the correct order, otherwise it all gets very confusing.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
    Forum Member
    Fiyero wrote: »

It's an attempt to make the series contemporary and up to date by showing the murder being solved leaving the audience guessing why...till the next episode...think Twin Peaks.