Guillermo Del-Toro's The Strain coming to Watch

Comments

• burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Decent episode last night.

Any episode which features Eichorst elevates the show and it was a cracker last night! Loved all the scenes from the flashback featuring him and Setrakian and then when he appeared at the train station to speak to Jim. Felt sorry for Jim when his wife left him.

Eichorst isn't The Master. The Master is the big bad vampire that was in the coffin that came from Berlin to USA. Eichorst is his right hand man so to speak, he does the Master's bidding. I imagine he was 'turned' during his time at the concentration camp. I'm sure we'll see more of that in the flashbacks. The Master is the one in charge but everything goes through Eichorst. The 'strain' has been caused by all of the dead from the plane and the 4 that survived.

I did go WTF at the end when we saw what looked a group of good vampires who were killing all the bad vampires. Not too sure what's going on there but can't wait to find out more next week!

I did WTF too when the ninja vampires turned up. What is their significance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    I did WTF too when the ninja vampires turned up. What is their significance.

I wish I had not read the book because I cant answer with a spoiler.

Let me just say the 'ninja' vampires should make a good addition.
    :eek:
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Highlight of the season so far - Vitaly humming over the petrol and choosing premium for making molotov cocktails with lol.

Enjoyed that episode and glad we had a bit of an explanation as to the different types of vamps we have seen so far.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Highlight of the season so far - Vitaly humming over the petrol and choosing premium for making molotov cocktails with lol.

Enjoyed that episode and glad we had a bit of an explanation as to the different types of vamps we have seen so far.

That was a cracking episode at the convenience store, really enjoyed that. Fet (i think that's the ratcatcher's name?) was the highlight of the episode. Glad that it was Fet who did the deed, Goodweather has no balls! Man up FFS!!!

Poor Jim! Felt sorry he got killed off but you knew it was going to happen at some point. I didn't think he'd make it to the end of the season. I was right.

How hot is that internet hacker?! Stunning woman.

Only thing that annoyed me about the episode was the placement of one of the ad breaks, it happened right at the moment when Fet killed Jim. What a stupid moment to time a break! No time to breath, they just cut to a break and it really ruined the moment. Sort it out Watch!!!

Looking forward to next week's as we have the core group finally together as one. Or maybe the Latino dude will join them too later as well?

What was the explanation given about different types of vamps, i can't recall?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode so far for me, even though seen that type of scenario played out many times before.
  • SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Best episode yet, by far. Glad I stuck with the show for that, it had been putting my love for all things "del Toro" to the test!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Best episode so far for me, even though seen that type of scenario played out many times before.

Of course. There was nothing new about it, still made for a great ep.

Liked the Asian guy who kept asking who's going to pay for everything! :D Best scene was Fet giving him the 250 dollar win scratchcard! Pure class.
    Forum Member
    That was a cracking episode at the convenience store, really enjoyed that. Fet (i think that's the ratcatcher's name?) was the highlight of the episode. Glad that it was Fet who did the deed, Goodweather has no balls! Man up FFS!!!

Poor Jim! Felt sorry he got killed off but you knew it was going to happen at some point. I didn't think he'd make it to the end of the season. I was right.

What was the explanation given about different types of vamps, i can't recall?

Yes Vasiliy Fet (spelling right hopefully). I think Goodweather will man up fast, as events are speeding up now.

Was sad about Jim too, although I got distracted by my other half doing a very good Gollum impression when he died about "fat hobbit-ses." :blush:

Someone asked Abraham about how these new vamps were so basic compared to what they had seen, and he explained by saying that when they are born/made they are just driven on basic need, but as they mature they regain more human like characteristics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Someone asked Abraham about how these new vamps were so basic compared to what they had seen, and he explained by saying that when they are born/made they are just driven on basic need, but as they mature they regain more human like characteristics.

I wonder if that's linked to the group of 'good' vampires that were in the house in the previous episode. They would have to have been around for a long time, yes? Before the strain?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit of a boring episode tonight, not really much happened. A filler episode for me.

They killed Matt, Goodweather's son Zach joined the group and they're all now hiding at Setrakian's. The only note of interest was the last 5 mins when we saw the flashback of Eichorst being turned by the Master.

Did anyone else think the Master's face looked slightly funny i.e. a bit ridiculous looking? I almost laughed. I thought he would look a lot more scary and terrifying than what we actually got.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a boring episode tonight, not really much happened. A filler episode for me.

They killed Matt, Goodweather's son Zach joined the group and they're all now hiding at Setrakian's. The only note of interest was the last 5 mins when we saw the flashback of Eichorst being turned by the Master.

Did anyone else think the Master's face looked slightly funny i.e. a bit ridiculous looking? I almost laughed. I thought he would look a lot more scary and terrifying than what we actually got.

You mean Shrek.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Master looked like the Spitting Image version of Dr David Owen :)

Great show, despite this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's Kelly turned into a vampire now. I wonder why The Master wanted to meet her out of everyone that's been turned. Surely he can't know her connection to Goodweather? She doesn't even know Setrakian.

And what's happened to the kids and that nanny? Haven't seen them or that vampire army for ages either. Still a good episode though.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Very dark episode last night. The scene where Kelly was infected and the turning of Diane and her son were pretty disturbing.

Only 3 episodes of Season 1 left.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    You mean Shrek.

I thought Voldemort had let himself go a bit lol

Still loving this show, I see from Twitter they are busy filming season 2 yay.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 episodes left? So i wonder if the Master will be killed. If they're currently filming season 2 i'm guessing the answer is no unless there's a massive twist to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a good episode tonight. Especially the second half when they were in the tunnels.

I was worried for Fet in that one scene but glad he made it out and then when Goodweather met The Master that had me on edge and i was like go on someone kill him but damn it he got away and then that ending with the nest of vampires! No idea what's going to happen next but i can't wait to find out! Such a good show.

Have a bad feeling Zach and Nora's mum aren't going to last long in that pawnshop judging by how bonkers she is. You can just tell something's going to happen there.

2 eps to go now.
    Forum Member
    Such a good episode tonight. Especially the second half when they were in the tunnels.

I was worried for Fet in that one scene but glad he made it out and then when Goodweather met The Master that had me on edge and i was like go on someone kill him but damn it he got away and then that ending with the nest of vampires! No idea what's going to happen next but i can't wait to find out! Such a good show.

Have a bad feeling Zach and Nora's mum aren't going to last long in that pawnshop judging by how bonkers she is. You can just tell something's going to happen there.

2 eps to go now.

Yup I enjoyed it too and it might have been slightly better for the absence of Dutch in it. Not sold on her character but I think she will be back at some point.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Spacedone wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to this for a while. The Strain is an excellent book and from what I've been able to see from the trailers it looks like the series will follow the book fairly closely.

I am currently reading the first book of the trilogy and it really is fairly close to the series, which is nice. Both are well worth your time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Setrakian! He's really been put through the mill by Eichorst. For decades. Feel sorry for the poor bloke! He needs to get revenge. That Eichorst really is one evil son of a bitch. I like we're still getting flashbacks and being shown Setrakian's past even at the end of the season. It's a nice touch.

The vampire black-ops guys returned tonight. Still no idea who or what they're all about and why they took Gus. What was going on with the shipping containers? Is Eichorst sending vampires to different parts of the world to infect everyone?

Lastly, when Palmer met The Master i still can't get over how ridiculous he looks! This is The Master! He's supposed to be scary and terrifying and yet he looks like the silliest thing ever, especially with that massive head and stupid enormous mouth of his. I honestly can't take him seriously. With Guillermo Del-Toro's background you would think he could come up with something better than that. It really is unbelievable.

Having said that i can't wait for the season finale next week!
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I think they where sending the ready made vampires off to infect other countries.

As for the Master, perhaps they ran out of money for a better version??? To be honest he looked like he was wearing lipstick.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    show has lost its way in last few weeks ive felt. the germany flash backs are very boring
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Setrakian! He's really been put through the mill by Eichorst. For decades. Feel sorry for the poor bloke! He needs to get revenge. That Eichorst really is one evil son of a bitch. I like we're still getting flashbacks and being shown Setrakian's past even at the end of the season. It's a nice touch.

The vampire black-ops guys returned tonight. Still no idea who or what they're all about and why they took Gus. What was going on with the shipping containers? Is Eichorst sending vampires to different parts of the world to infect everyone?

Lastly, when Palmer met The Master i still can't get over how ridiculous he looks! This is The Master! He's supposed to be scary and terrifying and yet he looks like the silliest thing ever, especially with that massive head and stupid enormous mouth of his. I honestly can't take him seriously. With Guillermo Del-Toro's background you would think he could come up with something better than that. It really is unbelievable.

Having said that i can't wait for the season finale next week!
    It would be much more scary of they didn't show his face at all. Just glimpses of something hideous under the hood would be much more effective.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    It would be much more scary of they didn't show his face at all. Just glimpses of something hideous under the hood would be much more effective.

I agree, i think that would be more effective and possibly the only thing you can see would be his teeth or something like that. I wouldn't mind having some of what he gave to Palmer when i'm feeling ill or run down! :D
    Forum Member
    Overall the other special effects have been quite good, I mean the worms ugh yuk! I agree with others that the master's make up has been a let down amongst everything else, not scary at all.

But I liked the series despite that, and they are filming season 2 now so any kinks from season 1 can easily be ironed out :)