Options

Why has my opinion on DTC changed so quickly?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
Really sorry for the negativity that I'm about to unleash upon you all, but I need to get it off my chest...

You all know that I was one of the pro-DTC fans and I happily said so on here, and didn't want him to leave EE. Now I couldn't care less if he did a runner after a few years just like all the other producers.

After the Lucy reveal, I've just lost all hope in him as an exec. I'm completely fine with Bobby being the killer, I'm interested to see how it will lead. His ideas in 2014 were fine, and his storylining was natural and everything made sense.

But since October when all the major storylines started kicking in, I fear that DTC is finding it hard to balance them all. Storylines don't fade out and fade in naturally, they literally just disappear off of our screens until the next development. Just look at the Lucy storyline for example. It was bumpy, you've got to admit! Nothing happened for for months, then suddenly there was a jewellery box under the tree, suspects were being revealed, Emma died and everything started to unravel on one day. Then it went quiet again until two months later.

And 2015 sounds like it could be DTC's downfall, which almost every producer has. Most recently, Santer had his downfall at the end of his position, Kirkwood's downfall came early, Lorraine was a living downfall... And now it's DTC's time.
I mean, a "who won-it" storyline? Clearly it will be Alfie or Kat who wins the lottery, it seems to be the only way that the couple can get their 'happily ever after'.

I fear that DTC is running out of ideas which is sad because I really had good hopes for him. :(

Comments

• Options
    Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Really sorry for the negativity that I'm about to unleash upon you all, but I need to get it off my chest...

You all know that I was one of the pro-DTC fans and I happily said so on here, and didn't want him to leave EE. Now I couldn't care less if he did a runner after a few years just like all the other producers.

After the Lucy reveal, I've just lost all hope in him as an exec. I'm completely fine with Bobby being the killer, I'm interested to see how it will lead. His ideas in 2014 were fine, and his storylining was natural and everything made sense.

But since October when all the major storylines started kicking in, I fear that DTC is finding it hard to balance them all. Storylines don't fade out and fade in naturally, they literally just disappear off of our screens until the next development. Just look at the Lucy storyline for example. It was bumpy, you've got to admit! Nothing happened for for months, then suddenly there was a jewellery box under the tree, suspects were being revealed, Emma died and everything started to unravel on one day. Then it went quiet again until two months later.

And 2015 sounds like it could be DTC's downfall, which almost every producer has. Most recently, Santer had his downfall at the end of his position, Kirkwood's downfall came early, Lorraine was a living downfall... And now it's DTC's time.
    I mean, a "who won-it" storyline? Clearly it will be Alfie or Kat who wins the lottery, it seems to be the only way that the couple can get their 'happily ever after'.

I fear that DTC is running out of ideas which is sad because I really had good hopes for him. :(

Just waiting for someone to comment im sick of you and your endless Digs at DTC,however i agree with you FireGazer :D
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think his downfall has come yet.

There's no denying the show has been a right bore these last few weeks, but looking at it, I'm excited for a number of upcoming plots:p.

The block storytelling and endless misery has GOT to stop though! Especially the block storytelling. That is probably DTC's weakest points. Tbf though it has worked and the viewing figures have risen in a lot of storyline climaxes, beginnings, etc...
  • Options
    GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    I don't necessarily think this is downfall but perhaps a lull. With the 30th too many storylines ended at once and so much work went into the week that the quality afterwards has dropped. However there are still a lot of good stories to come, and huge potential with new additions to the cast. For me they needed a hook in place between Lucy's arc ending and the others beginning.

As I have said previously I can't help think there is a lot of wasted potential which bothers me and I hope DTC has plans for these characters - he really should and could have had things in place for the breaks people have taken in filming too. I don't feel hope is lost just yet.

Fire gazer- your spoiler, do we know any more - this is the first I have heard of it.

Edit:- Just seen the spoiler I fear from the way it's worded that this could be
    a billy and Lola exit
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goosebee wrote: »
    I don't necessarily think this is downfall but perhaps a lull. With the 30th too many storylines ended at once and so much work went into the week that the quality afterwards has dropped. However there are still a lot of good stories to come, and huge potential with new additions to the cast. For me they needed a hook in place between Lucy's arc ending and the others beginning.

As I have said previously I can't help think there is a lot of wasted potential which bothers me and I hope DTC has plans for these characters - he really should and could have had things in place for the breaks people have taken in filming too. I don't feel hope is lost just yet.

Fire gazer- your spoiler, do we know any more - this is the first I have heard of it.

Edit:- Just seen the spoiler I fear from the way it's worded that this could be
    a billy and Lola exit

It's not.. Why would Australia take Billy Mitchell
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    lou_123 wrote: »
    I don't think his downfall has come yet.

There's no denying the show has been a right bore these last few weeks, but looking at it, I'm excited for a number of upcoming plots:p.

The block storytelling and endless misery has GOT to stop though! Especially the block storytelling. That is probably DTC's weakest points. Tbf though it has worked and the viewing figures have risen in a lot of storyline climaxes, beginnings, etc...

This is what other soaps have that EastEnders doesn't. They have the natural flow of the storylines.

I don't like how DTC pushes aside storylines to allow others to come through, as if there's some sort of limit. How is Kat handling her Calpol addiction? Has Denise stopped drinking? Shouldn't Shirley be searching for her missing son?

DTC is smart, but because he's smart, he shoves his way past the obvious things and goes for all the "clever" opportunities. "That's a great storyline DTC, but how on earth does that work if...?" I'd like to know how his mind works.
  • Options
    jcotter779jcotter779 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the nick return was terrible, Christmas day was awful after all the hype, and live week really was all that imo. hes let too many big characters off at the same time which made an already awful killer reveal, and aftermath even worse. 10 months we waited and that's what we got? it wasn't worth killing off lucy beale and I don't think he'd of done it if he knew peter and lauren were leaving.the fact that everyone basically disappeared for what will be over a month now is shocking, hes letting a great start slip big time, but I honestly think in a couple of years down the line people will realise killing off lucy beale was a massive blunder, so many things they could of done with her character.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree. But id rather he finds his feet. Black storytelling has to go and less Carter screentime. He needs to be stricter on how many big characters go at at once and how frequent their breaks are.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I just think after the hype of the 30th it would feel a little slow. And a number of big characters are not on screen at the moment.

Come April, I'm sure it'll kick up a gear :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have the faith in him now I had at first, too many let downs imo. poor hetti bywater dtc has screwed her over for **** all. bobby beale? you sure dtc? epic fail.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    DTC is doing fine. It was obviously going to be a bit quiet after huge anniversairy episodes but he has a set of fantastic storylines lined up and it seems an ensemble cast which Is what a soap should Be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she should have told dtc to go **** himself when asked to return for the flashback| out of a job for a storyline that ended up being a damp squib, being covered up because the killer was a ten year old I mean it couldn't have been much worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcotter779 wrote: »
    I don't have the faith in him now I had at first, too many let downs imo. poor hetti bywater dtc has screwed her over for **** all. bobby beale? you sure dtc? epic fail.

LOL. I don't think so:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she should have told dtc to go **** himself when asked to return for the flashback| out of a job for a storyline that ended up being a damp squib, being covered up because the killer was a ten year old I mean it couldn't have been much worse.

He axed Hetti Bywatter, she's hardly Pam St. Clement. Chill!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    This is what other soaps have that EastEnders doesn't. They have the natural flow of the storylines.

I don't like how DTC pushes aside storylines to allow others to come through, as if there's some sort of limit. How is Kat handling her Calpol addiction? Has Denise stopped drinking? Shouldn't Shirley be searching for her missing son?

DTC is smart, but because he's smart, he shoves his way past the obvious things and goes for all the "clever" opportunities. "That's a great storyline DTC, but how on earth does that work if...?" I'd like to know how his mind works.

EastEnders does need more natural flow and ultimately, I'd like them to stop block storytelling. Too many cast members go missing for weeks, and viewers can lose interest at certain points... Also, it prevents them from SUSTAINING high viewing figures.

The show does benefit from it however. For example, the climax of storylines rate well still: Phil being shot, Linda's rape ordeal reveal, Who killed Lucy?, and others... Not really much to do with the block storytelling, but I don't think it's having a MASSIVE effect on the show, as the storylines are still sparking viewers interest. Storylines such as Ronnie's car crash/Nick's exit storyline starting, Slater fire, and Lucy's death, have also brought in high viewing figures for starting storylines. Emmerdale doesn't do block storytelling, and I know you like Emmerdale, but they fail to bring in high viewers for their big storylines (I'm not slagging it off, but yeah), so natural flow or block storytelling doesn't have a massive effect, but EastEnders could definitely do without it!:p.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping Eastenders will again kick on After Easter and bring us some fab Spring storylines
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping Eastenders will again kick on After Easter and bring us some fab Spring storylines

It's looking that way. It's been boring filler over the past few weeks.

I'm looking forward to...

Max vs Phil.
    Kathy's return.
    Ronnie and Richard Blackwood's character.
    Dean's comeuppance.
    Kat's storyline if done well.
    Seeing how Dot copes in prison (Dot man!:().
    Sharon's biological father.
    Jim's funeral.
    Stan's exit.

Should all be good!:p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's looking that way. It's been boring filler over the past few weeks.

I'm looking forward to...

Max vs Phil.
    Kathy's return.
    Ronnie and Richard Blackwood's character.
    Dean's comeuppance.
    Kat's storyline if done well.
    Seeing how Dot copes in prison (Dot man!:().7
    Sharon's biological father.
    Jim's funeral.
    Stan's exit.

Should all be good!:p.

I have enjoyed last few weeks too bit yeh definitely loads to look forward too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have enjoyed last few weeks too bit yeh definitely loads to look forward too :)

I've had mixed opinions on it. The past week I haven't payed much attention though...

I much prefer it when the main characters are taking centre stage and the supporting cast are, well supporting!:p.

Too many cast members go missing for weeks on end and I hope this can be improved now. It does let DTC down a bit. Over the next few weeks, it looks like we've got some good stuff coming up, with big cast lists. I'm sure we'll have some big storylines coming up soon. I have doubts about DTC at times, but he isn't thick. He always gives us something IMO and pulls something out the bag. I'm just not very patient haha!:(.
  • Options
    Jake2008Jake2008 Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do see your point OP, it's as if the "main characters" were all rested or on live week duty as it's been very supporting cast filled lately, it's as if all the eggs were laid in a live week basket and everything else has to suffer

On the other hand it's given me time to warm to characters I had not engaged with before, and has given me excitement to welcome the big guns back soon (Kathy!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had mixed opinions on it. The past week I haven't payed much attention though...

I much prefer it when the main characters are taking centre stage and the supporting cast are, well supporting!:p.

Too many cast members go missing for weeks on end and I hope this can be improved now. It does let DTC down a bit. Over the next few weeks, it looks like we've got some good stuff coming up, with big cast lists. I'm sure we'll have some big storylines coming up soon. I have doubts about DTC at times, but he isn't thick. He always gives us something IMO and pulls something out the bag. I'm just not very patient haha!:(.
    :)

:) I'm sure its worth the wait.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)

:) I'm sure its worth the wait.

Yep:p
  • Options
    Essex_BoyEssex_Boy Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Yeh agreed too much focus on new characters aswell
    The show don't feel natural
  • Options
    Essex_BoyEssex_Boy Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    The Carters also ruin the show every time they're on screen and the Carters sum up DTC to be fair
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Essex_Boy wrote: »
    The Carters also ruin the show every time they're on screen and the Carters sum up DTC to be fair

The Carters are only poor, because they're never mixed with other characters enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Essex_Boy wrote: »
    Yeh agreed too much focus on new characters aswell
    The show don't feel natural

Could you explain why please? I'm just curious...