Options

Under the Dome - Season 2 - UK Pace

Comments

• Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    This has got really good all of a sudden! Now that there is a proper portal / wormhole / wardrobe to connect Chester's Mill with the outside world, and the select few have the knowledge of how to travel between the two places at will, there is the capacity to expand the story in all sorts of new directions. It is as if the Dome is not just an unspecified superpower or god-like figure; it's Aslan!
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wardrobes and Aslan? Just flipping brilliant. What am I supposed to do with all these shrimp?

So is the Dome actually controlling who goes in or out, or only the way back in? Perhaps we will find out when someone makes a distant 'thud' trying the exit. It let in the new computer nerd even though it didn't know him (everyone else got a free in-flight flashback) or maybe it knows he can get a signal out and needs him.

As for Melanie and Barbie already knowing each other, they don't seem to have twigged yet, or did I miss that bit (it was late when I watched, was fading somewhat, should watch again...)? Unless it's the Dome prodding people in the brain to point them in the right direction because it's dead sneaky like that.

And Big Jim's messianic vision didn't last long - though I guess that was to be expected as we already know he is a naughty boy!
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    It's gotten interesting in the past few episodes. The switch from the Dome's trying to kill us plot of the week has helped. Perhaps this should have happened at the end of the first season instead of the drug plot.
  • Options
    FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up on the last episode.

How the heck did the IT guy get into the lake? The others were attacked by a transporting cloud which gave them flashbacks, he admitted to not seeing anything. So erm.....he was walking in a dark cave and after a while the tunnel turned into the bottom of a lake. Makes sense.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    ... How the heck did the IT guy get into the lake? ...
    Same as everyone else, surely? A spiral of smoke carried him away into this whole other reality :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same as everyone else, surely? A spiral of smoke carried him away into this whole other reality :p

But he said he didn't see anything? Unless he was sneak attacked by the spirally smoke thingy. I was quite disappointed by the lack of reaction by all of them, even in the realm of the Dome, the smoke thingy was weird! It would have been the first thing I'd have brought up once surfaced, then "why am I wet?"

Also, the girl playing Melanie still cant act :p:p
  • Options
    hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    But there were no polar bears so surely that can't be right !
  • Options
    hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    But he said he didn't see anything? Unless he was sneak attacked by the spirally smoke thingy. I was quite disappointed by the lack of reaction by all of them, even in the realm of the Dome, the smoke thingy was weird! It would have been the first thing I'd have brought up once surfaced, then "why am I wet?"

Also, the girl playing Melanie still cant act :p:p
    What, just her?? Right, because redhead is a Meryl Streep in the making and Barbie, well yeah watch out Matthew McConaughey. The only one I rate now is the young actress who plays the sulky one. At first I was fascinated by how utterly unattractive she is, on all levels, but I've warmed to her now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendoll wrote: »
    What, just her?? Right, because redhead is a Meryl Streep in the making and Barbie, well yeah watch out Matthew McConaughey. The only one I rate now is the young actress who plays the sulky one. At first I was fascinated by how utterly unattractive she is, on all levels, but I've warmed to her now.

None are amazing, granted. She's the only won who takes me out of the show though, the others are passable for me.
  • Options
    Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BiB - You beat me to it

I agree with all of your post, except the bit about warming to the teenage nightmare.

The 'actress' playing Julia is a bit tasty though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BiB - You beat me to it

I agree with all of your post, except the bit about warming to the teenage nightmare.

The 'actress' playing Julia is a bit tasty though.

Absolutely :D
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    This has got really good all of a sudden! Now that there is a proper portal / wormhole / wardrobe to connect Chester's Mill with the outside world, and the select few have the knowledge of how to travel between the two places at will, there is the capacity to expand the story in all sorts of new directions. It is as if the Dome is not just an unspecified superpower or god-like figure; it's Aslan!
    But why don't they just tell the rest of them how to get out? And I don't see how the security guards / soldiers could acutally stop them all getting out, despite them telling Jim he couldn't bring everyone with him, only his son. As for the egg, Julia could drop it in the lake again, and anyway, it is quite good at protecting itself even if baddies do get hold of it.

I wonder if they will change the opening voiceover for the next episode as that stuff about "Some say we'll be trapped in here for ever, but we will never stop fighting to find a way out" makes no sense now.

None are amazing, granted. She's the only won who takes me out of the show though, the others are passable for me.
    The worst actor in this episode had to be "young Junior" in Sam's flashback.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    The worst actor in this episode had to be "young Junior" in Sam's flashback.

Oh my, that's a good shout, I'd repressed him! :D
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I have had another thought: Barbie, Whatsisname and the old religious man all escaped from the Dome by falling/jumping down the cliff, without realising that it was the way out of the Dome. They all got in again when they found the red door with the yellow handprint on it.

But that doesn't mean that the same escape route is available for the entire population of Chester's Mill to get out willy-nilly. The Dome is the all-powerful god-like figure, so it might be deciding who is allowed to get in or out, and when.

It's like Narnia: you can only get into Narnia (or out of the Dome) when you are called, and not when you are trying. You don't necessarily go in or out the same way each time.

So I reckon that a few more people will find themselves out of the Dome in future episodes, but only a few at a time and for specific reasons. Apart from anything else, simply allowing everybody out all in one go would mean ending the series.
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just caught up with the last 5 episodes I recored. It's getting so over the top,but love it. Finding it hilarious to watch.

The scene where Barbie "died" had me in stitches :o
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one I rate now is the young actress who plays the sulky one. At first I was fascinated by how utterly unattractive she is, on all levels, but I've warmed to her now.
    I like her too. Mainly because she plays an annoying teenager character without being annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    I have had another thought: Barbie, Whatsisname and the old religious man all escaped from the Dome by falling/jumping down the cliff, without realising that it was the way out of the Dome. They all got in again when they found the red door with the yellow handprint on it.

But that doesn't mean that the same escape route is available for the entire population of Chester's Mill to get out willy-nilly. The Dome is the all-powerful god-like figure, so it might be deciding who is allowed to get in or out, and when.

It's like Narnia: you can only get into Narnia (or out of the Dome) when you are called, and not when you are trying. You don't necessarily go in or out the same way each time.

So I reckon that a few more people will find themselves out of the Dome in future episodes, but only a few at a time and for specific reasons. Apart from anything else, simply allowing everybody out all in one go would mean ending the series.

It probably is like that, I'm waiting for a group of people to jump off the cliff and not all of them turning up on the other side.
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I loved that episode. They certainly pack a lot into each one.

Best bits tonight: 1. (in Goon Bluebottle voice) "Thinks, hmmm, if Big Jim picks up the egg, it is going to zap him. Oooh, zapppp!!!!!"

2. Barbie: "Joe and Norrie have got to be around here somewhere.." (rounds corner-there they are! :)).

My new favourite character is Hector...Harvey? No, Hunter (I think). I loved his 5,000MPH geek-chat bonding with Joe when they first met. So far he seems like a genuinely good guy and funny. Everybody in this show has a flip episode though, so I''m sure that he'll turn out to be a bad guy, probably a mole on behalf of Barbie's dad or something.

Melanie seems to be in trouble. I assume that her very life force is connected to the dome itself, being a ghost and all.

Poor old Big Jim..so many dastardly scheme's, so many shots at redemption, but they always backfire in the end.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    It probably is like that, I'm waiting for a group of people to jump off the cliff and not all of them turning up on the other side.

They've answered that issue and disposed of one character in the process. I don't think there was much they could do with him anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've answered that issue and disposed of one character in the process. I don't think there was much they could do with him anyway.

Yeah, I've only just caught up on last nights episode. Thought that might happen soon.

On my favourite topic (Melanie), she has become my favourite character. When she said "That's why I recognised you!" to Barbie, I couldn't help but think "does Barbie look exactly the same as when he was a 6 year old?" She also fainted beautifully and her joke about Junior locking women in his nuclear bunker, hilarious and delivered perfectly.
    I really love this show it makes me laugh more than any comedy and it's definitely a "must watch" for me.

Barbie and Julia's snuggle fest was sweet, we know the Dome has only been down for approximately 20 days going by from when Barbie was in Zenith and that sign. So to hear them planning on being together forever, after what, ten days of dating or so was lovely, bless. She sure got over her husbands murder by Barbie quickly, he must have had zero redeemable qualities.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when Barbie was on the outside, he was desperate to get a message to Julia to tell her not to jump as he felt it was unsafe for her outside and / or he didn't want her to take the egg out, but as soon as he's back under the dome, he's desperate to get everybody to jump out and thinks it will be fine to give the egg to his dad. What made him change his mind? Oh wait, was it because autumn was coming?!

I had to laugh when someone said it would be dangerous for everyone to jump over the cliff because there was surveillance on the playground - weren't there only two guys on that surveillance job, who could be easily distracted?

I wish Junior had asked Angie's ghost who she followed into the school and why she was trying to open that locker; I'm still confused about that.

I bet the egg didn't actually make it through to Zenith but is buried where the tunnel collapsed, and it just made the earthquakes because it was angry.
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    I bet the egg didn't actually make it through to Zenith but is buried where the tunnel collapsed, and it just made the earthquakes because it was angry.

Imagine someone who had never seen Under The Dome, and didn't know what it was about, reading that sentence ... I wonder what they would make of it!

Got to love this mad series!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    Imagine someone who had never seen Under The Dome, and didn't know what it was about, reading that sentence ... I wonder what they would make of it!

Got to love this mad series!

LMAO!! So true!!
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    Those on here like FrostyJim who are watching UTD with a degree of cynicism and enjoying it for the (not always intentional) humour, you might like to check out vulture.com for the weekly episode recaps. I have always liked these to help me fill in the (many) gaps in my understanding of wtf's going on, but also for the humour and comments on the corny dialogue which sometimes make me laugh out loud. Just be aware that it's a US site and there are recaps of more episodes than we've had here so when you open the page, scoot down to episode 10 (this week's) and below.

http://www.vulture.com/tv/under-the-dome/
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    I think there's going to be a connection between Julia and an Alien Life Force. Namely ALF.. Remember him? Didn't he go by the name of Gordon Shumway?

It can't be coincidence.