Undercover Boss

Comments

• scottygscottyg Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    I don't think that cancer blokey is doing what he does 'for the company' I think it's just the type of guy he is.

Nice of the boss to pay for a holiday though.

Absolutely, and before we found out about his cancer it was obvious to me he was genuninely a dedicated bloke and not putting it on.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    But surely if they make accusations that you are trade, it is up to them to prove that not just decide you are to stop you. You should have written to them and complained.

Proof of address and identity would have been easier or try next council recycling centre at a push.
    I've had the proof of ID thing before, when turning up with a van, bloke let me in though without it on one occasion.

It's not unknown for builders to buy an old Volvo estate and fill it to the gunnels then off to the recycling centre, it's cheaper than a skip if they're on a smallish job or they can pocket the skip money from the client.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I complained to the council about it, were told that household waste is restricted to 1 boot size full once a month, and that we were lucky we were let in with the van in the first place!!
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that cancer blokey is doing what he does 'for the company' I think it's just the type of guy he is.

Nice of the boss to pay for a holiday though.

it was nice of him, yes, but i was also surprised the boss didnt insist that he uses company time in future for his treatment.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but hadn't time to go through the whole thread...

I really like this show, but have two problems (sort of) with it. The first is that, like many "reality" shows today, you get a "Coming up!" at the beginning. OK, I'm used to those, I can fast forward through. But what really seems nonsensical is that they give you snippets of the ENDING! I mean, if they want you to watch the show, surely most people are thinking "Wonder what that guy/girl will think when they see who he is?" etc, so why show the reactions at the beginning? I find that very off-putting.

The other thing is this: I know there are limits and companies participating don't want to show themselves up, but let's be honest here. If your boss went undercover, don't you think there's a good chance he'd end up talking to the lazy/arrogant/workshy/chancers that populate just about every business? Even if it's just something like making personal calls when youre not supposed to, or taking longer or more breaks, or even something more serious like calling the boss a name, or saying you hate the place, surely this sort of thing is statistically prone to crop up in any operation of this type?

I know they want to present a good image, but it would be nice to see, just once or twice, some workshy chancer who gets by because he or she doesnt get caught, being called to Head Office and fired,. It's hard to believe that in EVERY compamy where the boss goes undercover, EVERYONE loves working for him, is it not?
  • zippy00zippy00 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    My first day of my last job I had been there less than an hour before I was informed of all the juicy gossip, even down to the bosses affair and who they thought was pinching, inbetween the girls spent their time doing no work, eating the stock and talking on their mobiles, thats the reality that would make great TV :D
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching the removal firm?

Oh we've got someone else with health problems, that's unusual for this series.
    Oh deary me, in the office 'moaning' on the one day 'taster' session.

Now either the blokey who showed him to take the trolley down the stairs is an idiot or he wanted things to change and deliberately done it that way in front of the cameras to make a point.
  • Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    the stairs are a no no of enormous proportions. The least that can happen is putting your back out, the worst in that you end up at the bottom in a pile very fast!
  • SuperSal1SuperSal1 Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just one big advert for Crown. There were NO issues whatsoever.

Yucky tv...such a shame.
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "They need training" was a cop out. What that warehouse needed was some proper lifts installing, but that would cost money.
    Forum Member
    the stairs are a no no of enormous proportions. The least that can happen is putting your back out, the worst in that you end up at the bottom in a pile very fast!

Big pile, if you think it's going to take you down the stairs, you let go of it and just re-pack it again, it's only paper records.
    Alternatively just single or double the boxes and walk them down the stairs

I've done removals, horrible business IMO.
    Pay is awful, hours are even worse and it's too much like hard work.
    Some people seem to like doing it though, don't know why.
    Forum Member
    Plant wrote: »
    "They need training" was a cop out. What that warehouse needed was some proper lifts installing, but that would cost money.

I'm guessing it's a long walk across the warehouse to wherever the access and forklift is, take the shorter quicker option and go down the stairs.
    Don't have to de-stack it onto a pallet, then off the pallet again, I'm guessing.
    I think the culture might be an issue too.
    Paraphrasing here: Paul 'go and talk to the office'
    Stairs Blokey 'and get called soft by the lads?'
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing it's a long walk across the warehouse to wherever the access and forklift is, take the shorter quicker option and go down the stairs.
    Don't have to de-stack it onto a pallet, then off the pallet again, I'm guessing.
    I think the culture might be an issue too.
    Paraphrasing here: Paul 'go and talk to the office'
    Stairs Blokey 'and get called soft by the lads?'

Th idea that they should use the forklift for four boxes seemed ridiculous and no wonder the employees ignored that. I think they just need some mini lifts dotted around but that would obviously cost the firm money to install.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we know every week that someone will be on a training course, some-one will be promoted,
    and everyone gets a pat on the back... so so.. predictable after the first two episodes.
  • SuperSal1SuperSal1 Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we know every week that someone will be on a training course, some-one will be promoted,
    and everyone gets a pat on the back... so so.. predictable after the first two episodes.

Such a disappointing programme! I was completely taken in on the first couple of episodes...now I can see that the WHOLE thing is fake.

It's is formulaic and crass...along the "surprise surprise" lines. Everybody knows what's going on...and the 'rewards for good behaviour' are unbelievably obvious.

Much more interesting to see the lazy ones getting the sack.

These progs are just adverts.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting programme because I used to work for a rival to Crown, so much was exactly the same as the company I worked for!

The folks returning to Australia at the start, I thought it was a bit odd that they showed even their naff Ikea chipboard furniture being packed up, no way would it be cost effective to ship stuff like that around the world, even via container at sea for months, it would surely be cheaper to just buy it again at the other end, unless they had some over-generous employer just picking up the full bill, or had some nice deal where it cost the same no matter how much the container ended up weighing.

The stairs bit was completely ridiculous, all these sort of companies are paranoid about being taken to tribunal or ambulance-chasing lawyers by their staff these days, so they all have Health and Safety people all over the shop, writing method statements every five minutes, there's no way that was real. That racking that you could see everything on costs millions, I remember some new places that we fitted out with it, it costs more than the warehouse building itself that it's erected inside. So no way would it have been installed without appropriate lift mechanisms at key places (maybe not a nice lift like you get in a shop or office but some sort of hoist). At the very least they would have provided stair-climbing trolleys if the stuff HAD to go up and down stairs. As another poster has said the programme seemed like one big advert for Crown. I am inclined to suspect that the people in this episode knew more about the show than they're letting on and the stair bit was deliberately put in to make things "not QUITE perfect" to try to lessen how much like an hour long advert it looked. Also Crown WILL have had a say in what went in to the final programme, which also convinces me that they did that deliberately for some reason.

Did anyone else notice how often there were Crown logos blatantly in shot on ALL their clothes, or on the wall/doors, and even the computer wallpaper etc. Yet every so often they slipped up and showed a Pickfords logo (Crown bought the Records Management bit of Pickfords in 2006). The Pickfords RM cardboard boxes were the most obvious but there were also a couple of Pickfords vans in the odd car park, the RM warehouse near the end had the Pickfords slogan across the building, but most cunningly of all when he made the tea he used Pickfords mugs. Bet you all the ex-Pickfords staff are still resentful of Crown's takeover even four years later :D
    Forum Member
    Plant wrote: »
    Th idea that they should use the forklift for four boxes seemed ridiculous and no wonder the employees ignored that. I think they just need some mini lifts dotted around but that would obviously cost the firm money to install.

Well if the client only want's 4 boxes what else are you going to do?
    Take the long walk across the warehouse with the 4 boxes to the lift or fork lift, doesn't matter if you've got mini lifts dotted around the place, you've still got to walk it to the loading bay where the stuff actually leaves the building.

I'm guessing that stuff they were picking belongs and is in an area where the client's rarely ask for anything, little traffic.
    Busy Clients will have a Van going to their building daily sometimes with a whole van load of boxes, their stuff should be more easily accessible for obvious reasons.
    Forum Member
    SuperSal1 wrote: »
    Such a disappointing programme! I was completely taken in on the first couple of episodes...now I can see that the WHOLE thing is fake.

It's is formulaic and crass...along the "surprise surprise" lines. Everybody knows what's going on...and the 'rewards for good behaviour' are unbelievably obvious.

Much more interesting to see the lazy ones getting the sack.

These progs are just adverts.

Advert, could be seen that way.

I'm bored with the personal angle 'Father of two, Mother of Six' or whatever.
    Just introduce the people, how long they've been working there or any work related history, if their personal life has a bearing on the job their doing or their in work performance, then introduce it.

As for not seeing people get the sack.
    So Head office sends and email through about the a doc being filmed for a day and the premise behind it.
    What people are you going to put the film crew with, the best people or the worse people in your branch?

Troubleshooter or Can Gerry Robinson Fix, it certainly isn't.
    Lightweight fluff with not lot to be learned from it.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently the USA version of this show is a big hit over there?? I wonder if its a combination of the recesssion and the sob stories which makes it a success over the pond?
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staggeringly underwhelming.

'I've got some news for you...........We're sending you on a training course'

'I want you to know you can call me directly'

Oh, that's just great. I bet the line manager feels really well supported knowing that anytime her staff disagree with anything, they can go over her head to a Director.

Nothing like making a hiearchy work properly.
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made me laugh at the end when the guy they said they were giving management training to is now a team leader! In my job a teamleader isn't much of a management move, more of a sidewards one.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    going off track slightly, but this programme is the very same as UNDERCOVER MILLIONAIRE same predictable ending he enters some city/town lives of £50 per week, laugh. laugh then seeks out the charities and the best person,, at the end of that programme they are all shocked when he gives them a cheque ..:rolleyes:
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's like I said before: to make it more realistic they should at least show or even mention someone not performing, taking long breaks, badmouthing the company, not turning up etc. THAT is reality. THAT is what goes on in most companies, specially the larger ones. For the producers (and the companies) to believe that people will accept that EVERYONE loves working there and no-one has a bad word to say, and that everyone does their job to 100% of their ability: well, it's being naive in the extreme.

What about the times when people use the PCs for unsanctioned internet use? What about the personal phone calls, sick days, digs at the company? If this was not staged then you can be damn sure that the reality would be a lot more hard-hitting, and embarrassing to the company.

Also, this week was even worse, with the CFO being TOLD to go undercover. Why didn't the CEO do it? It's supposed to be Undercover Boss, not Undercover Management! If the Top Man really wanted to see how things went on in his company he should have got up off his arse and got his hands dirty, but he obviously is too good for that, so delegated instead. Pathetic. And all they could say to the feedback was "It's obviously a training issue"!

Worst of the programmes yet. No word either on next week's: maybe it's finished? Agree too that the "rewards" were sh1t: how was going on a course going to help George, who was being paid crap wages and also supporting his son and daughter-in-law? No-one was offered any money, any incentive except for Debra who was told she had the job of manager (which it seemed she had already applied for and there was no indication that Naren did anything other than let her know she had it: nothing to say he had put a word in or anything, so she probably would have got it anyway, and he was just shortcircuiting the red tape to let her know ahead of time), and Chris I think, who was told after his 12-month (TWELVE MONTH! ONE YEAR!) course he might get a management position. No guarantee. What does he do for the year in between?

Also we're now getting soundbites:- "Our best people", "Not jsut figures on a spreadsheet" etc etc. All very much the same. Getting quite bored now....
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    Yeah, it's like I said before: to make it more realistic they should at least show or even mention someone not performing, taking long breaks, badmouthing the company, not turning up etc. THAT is reality. THAT is what goes on in most companies, specially the larger ones. For the producers (and the companies) to believe that people will accept that EVERYONE loves working there and no-one has a bad word to say, and that everyone does their job to 100% of their ability: well, it's being naive in the extreme.

What about the times when people use the PCs for unsanctioned internet use? What about the personal phone calls, sick days, digs at the company? If this was not staged then you can be damn sure that the reality would be a lot more hard-hitting, and embarrassing to the company.

Also, this week was even worse, with the CFO being TOLD to go undercover. Why didn't the CEO do it? It's supposed to be Undercover Boss, not Undercover Management! If the Top Man really wanted to see how things went on in his company he should have got up off his arse and got his hands dirty, but he obviously is too good for that, so delegated instead. Pathetic. And all they could say to the feedback was "It's obviously a training issue"!

Worst of the programmes yet. No word either on next week's: maybe it's finished? Agree too that the "rewards" were sh1t: how was going on a course going to help George, who was being paid crap wages and also supporting his son and daughter-in-law? No-one was offered any money, any incentive except for Debra who was told she had the job of manager (which it seemed she had already applied for and there was no indication that Naren did anything other than let her know she had it: nothing to say he had put a word in or anything, so she probably would have got it anyway, and he was just shortcircuiting the red tape to let her know ahead of time), and Chris I think, who was told after his 12-month (TWELVE MONTH! ONE YEAR!) course he might get a management position. No guarantee. What does he do for the year in between?

Also we're now getting soundbites:- "Our best people", "Not jsut figures on a spreadsheet" etc etc. All very much the same. Getting quite bored now....

I want to see lead swinging, pilfering of the office supplies, intimidation plus sexist and racist comments to other members of staff. Now that would would be an interesting programe:D
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »

Yes,this was the last one