Options

Foxsat-HDR Bugs Thread [Merged]

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barry wrote: »
    No the update does not need to be downloaded again.

Thanks Barry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Yep.....the only downside is you loose all your scheduled timers and have to set them again, along with any user defined settings.....ie Screen ratio, skip intervals etc.

Yeah, sure; but the original concern was whether there was a chance someone could get the un-updatable software back again after finding a way to update it. That seems safe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awo1949 wrote: »
    That wouldn't help with unwanted updates when the product is stable, nor with the box chosing to do an update when there is a Force 10 blowing outside.

Yeah i think you're right. You'd be stuffed on both counts. There was a new 'feature' added to the FoxsatHD a few months ago that meant every time a high def programme came on the scart picture would go from RGB to composite and affected componant connections.

If a box was bricked during a software download I guess Humax send out another box for replacement. I don't know about this sort disaster happening part way through downloading a software update though. The way Humax do software updates on their freeview PVRs is to first go through a process of downloading the whole firmware over the air. If it has 100% of the download then it will locally unpack the new firmware, and then transfer flash it to the machine. Perhaps someone can say whether the Foxsat-HDR does a similar thing whereby the box first tries to download the firmware first 100% before trying to update the machine. If so that might reduce the risk during iffy reception.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I just added a 2nd LNB to mine and it did the software download 100% first then did several smaller installs .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Last night I set it to record Parents of the band and have I got news for you, both on BBC1 8.30 AND 9.00.
    When I set it to record Parents of the band it offered it in SD and HD so I thought try HD never bothered to check if it did broadcast in HD and have I got news for you in SD as that is all it offered and I new it was not in HD.

During the recording time I was on the computer. When I went to have a look at, have I got news for you later on.
    There was only one recording, and that was have I got news for you, Parents of the band was not there, I had a look on the schedule and it was booked for next week.

Is this a bug? or something to do with the EPG!
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twigy wrote: »
    Last night I set it to record Parents of the band and have I got news for you, both on BBC1 8.30 AND 9.00.
    When I set it to record Parents of the band it offered it in SD and HD so I thought try HD never bothered to check if it did broadcast in HD and have I got news for you in SD as that is all it offered and I new it was not in HD.

During the recording time I was on the computer. When I went to have a look at, have I got news for you later on.
    There was only one recording, and that was have I got news for you, Parents of the band was not there, I had a look on the schedule and it was booked for next week.

Is this a bug? or something to do with the EPG!

Yes that looks like its right it’s the first showing on BBCHD like Oceans bbc1 and HD are showing at different times :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Oh, so if I had selected SD it would have recorded last night? Well my fault, I should have checked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, so if I had selected SD it would have recorded last night? Well my fault, I should have checked.

Yes, the SD version...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, not your fault in my opinion. If it offered HD as an alternative, it's reasonable for you to assume that the programme would be transmitted at the same time unless it said otherwise. A wee bugette, methinks, if it didn't advise you of this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A wee bugette, methinks, if it didn't advise you of this.
    You find that it does... The pop-up gives you the times and the dates of the two instances... in this case they would have been different...
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    look on the bright side you've already set the recording for next week and it's in HD to boot :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whoops :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you dont want to wait another week to watch pt2 record it next Fri :) as its a week later on BBCHD :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marcdavis wrote: »
    The way Humax do software updates on their freeview PVRs is to first go through a process of downloading the whole firmware over the air. If it has 100% of the download then it will locally unpack the new firmware, and then transfer flash it to the machine. Perhaps someone can say whether the Foxsat-HDR does a similar thing whereby the box first tries to download the firmware first 100% before trying to update the machine. If so that might reduce the risk during iffy reception.

It only reduces the risk if you ignore Murphy's Law :) This dictates that the power will go out during the few seconds in which the unit is being flashed :(

[Murphy's Law is also known as the Law Of Maximum Inconvenience - a fundamental law of nature that results in toast landing buttered side down unless you are trying to demonstrate Murphy's Law.]
  • Options
    Darcy111Darcy111 Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Anybody had this one? When I first had the box and you selected a video file, one of the options offered was a chapter search with a time stamped thumbnail picture of each chapter "start". Now all i get is lots of identical grey boxes but they still have the time stamp. Is this a bug from an upgrade or a bug on my box?

Otherwise its growing on me. But how your average granny is going to deal with what is a complex and unintuitive user interface I don't know!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It only reduces the risk if you ignore Murphy's Law :) This dictates that the power will go out during the few seconds in which the unit is being flashed :(

[Murphy's Law is also known as the Law Of Maximum Inconvenience - a fundamental law of nature that results in toast landing buttered side down unless you are trying to demonstrate Murphy's Law.]

Its a scary life. Ignore Murphy's Law at your peril. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy111 wrote: »
    Anybody had this one? When I first had the box and you selected a video file, one of the options offered was a chapter search with a time stamped thumbnail picture of each chapter "start". Now all i get is lots of identical grey boxes but they still have the time stamp. Is this a bug from an upgrade or a bug on my box?

Otherwise its growing on me. But how your average granny is going to deal with what is a complex and unintuitive user interface I don't know!!

It would seem the thumbnails are only created at about 03:00 the next morning if your box is in standby at that time.

Thus for any program you record and want to watch the same day you get no thumbnails.

No 100% proof this is the case but this is from my observation of what it seems to do.

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In another thread it seems the lip synch correction value is stored but not re-applied to the audio when the unit is brought out of standby until you change the lip synch value and then return it to your chosen offset.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=941475

Not an issue if you have not changed it from zero which is my case.

Automan.
  • Options
    andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Hi-Very impressed with the Humax so far....anyone had problems via RGB-SCART of "losing" some of the picture on the right hand side....most noticable when you call up the TV Guide & the Guide gives the date as "200" rather than "2008" & shows "All Channel" rather than "All Channels". Minor point I know, but for some reason I prefer watching SD via RGB-SCART rather than HDMI (Displays guide fully via HDMI). Tried switching the TV SCART output on the Humax HD-R Setup to "CVBS" rather than "RGB", & the picture quality suffers but is fine as far as display is concerned (displays all the guide)? I'm displaying the pic on a Panasonic Plasma 37 PX-70, tried adjusting aspect ratio on TV but makes no difference...not had this strange issue on the PVR-9200T.... Any help gratefully received....Cheers-Andy D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Reading the manual about OTA firmware upgrading, does one have to leave the box on standby EVERY night just in case there is an upgrade? Or can one manually search for upgrades during the daytime when it suits?

I switch everything off at the mains during the night if possible.

Lost one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy111 wrote: »

Hey you! Less of the ageist remarks! I will cope as well as all of you have done!

GG ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Noticed this morning when deleting video that the picture broke up and stalled (froze) while deleting a file, this happened twice. Cant say the box was trying to do too much at once as it was just one file at a time. My Freeview box can manage to delete files with much less fuss and button pushing.
    Seems to be much to many button pushing manoeuvres needed to do what other kit manages more simply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrykap wrote: »
    Reading the manual about OTA firmware upgrading, does one have to leave the box on standby EVERY night just in case there is an upgrade? Or can one manually search for upgrades during the daytime when it suits?

I switch everything off at the mains during the night if possible.

Lost one.

It only uses 1 watt in standby and I imagine it wakes up during the night to check for an update.

It is really designed to be plugged in and have mains power all the time...

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Take it there is no notion of selecting mulitple recordings and then doing a delete on them. Guess I've been spoilt by "MyStuff" EPG on the Topfield 5800 !
    Yes there is, use file manager, and yellow (IIRC) now select items you wish to delete/copy.

Must admit I hadn't spotted that - however it doesn't seem to help much (unless I'm missing something else...)

The trouble is that if you have series-linked recordings (and pretty much everything I set is a series) they get placed in seperate folders - the file manager then shows these top level folders (not the complete list of recordings). This is fine if you want to delete all the recordings in one or more series (select all the folders and delete in one go).

But it doesn't help if you want to delete part of several series - you have to go into each folder, select the recording(s) from that series, delete them, navigate back up and then down into the next series and repeat.

In addition when in the file manager you don't get the icon that shows if you have yet to view the recording - so you risk deleting something you haven't yet watched.

All in all I'm going to stick with not using the file manager.

One other point on deleting recordings - it seems to take an age to actually do the delete - took about 30 seconds to delete Strictly come dancing last night (maybe the time to delete is dependant on size of recording?) - anyone else experiencing this?

Ideally I'd like to see it work more like Sky+ where you get a single list of all recordings and ideally be able to filter for those that have been watched. Though I'd settle for being able to delete the recording as soon as it's watched (rather than only if nothings being recorded as at present).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Anyone else spotted this one:

I had two recordings set. Tried to set a third, and as expected it came up with a dialog allowing a choice between cancelling the new reservation or cancelling the existing - but only one option for cancelling existing which had both the existing reservations in it.

Saying yes to cancel existing cancelled BOTH of the other reservations. But I was then able to add one of them back in again.

OK, not a major bug, but definitely not quite right.