Options

I changed a lady's tyre today

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    OP, people like you are my saviours!

I had a flat tyre last year and two young boys that were mechanics in the army stopped and put on the spare tyre for me. To this day I'm so grateful to them for stopping and helping without me having to ask.

Apologies to other posters in this thread but I am a feeble little female who's not mechanically minded.
  • Options
    Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I wouldn't dare offer to help.

It's extremely sexist imo. Everyone knows men are useless and that women can do everything better than us.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member

It's extremely sexist imo. Everyone knows men are useless and that women can do everything better than us.

Some of them even claim they can have sex with themselves better than with a man :eek:
    So if you say " Go F*** Yourself!" they most probably will!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How nice of you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I would gladly help change a wheel, but only if the girl was fit.
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    Random, I know.

I was buying fuel and a lady in a big 4x4 pulled up opposite, her tyre looked a bit odd and I called to her that I think she had a flat.

She did, and she looked a upset about it.

Not being sexist, but changing a tyre can be a bit of a brute force and ignorance task.

I asked is she wanted help, and she said yes please.

It was pissing down at the time, but no matter, put on anorak, hoofed out the spare and changed the tyre.

The lady wanted to give me a tenner for my trouble which I refused, I said jokingly put something in a charity box.

One thing she did say, was that not many people would have even bothered to tell her she had a flat, even less help her to change it.

It got me thinking, would you take a bit of time out to help someone change a tyre or would you assume they could do it themselves or call the AA/RAC

Would have been easier just to put the spare wheel on than changing a tyre.:D

Sorry to say if she can't tell she has a flat then she shouldn't be driving. Sounds lie you fell for her damsel in distress trap hook line and sinker.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd only offer help if they were disabled, had young children or in bad weather. Any other female with a tan and looks like shes auditioning for a role in TOWIE would get nothing but advise on how to change a tyre.

I remember one time some woman asked me to show her where to put water for her radiator. I showed her, then told her that she needs to take it to a garage as her car shouldn't be loosing coolant, but I guess she was more interested in topping up than listening.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finglonga wrote: »
    Would have been easier just to put the spare wheel on than changing a tyre.:D

Sorry to say if she can't tell she has a flat then she shouldn't be driving. Sounds lie you fell for her damsel in distress trap hook line and sinker.

Maybe:D

But she was all dressed up, she was going off to lunch with a friend. A bit of a MILF if I am honest, but that wasn't my motivation.

Was only 15 mins out of my life, would do the same for anyone who looked like they were going to struggle (Old, disabled, female, even a regular bloke if they looked a bit clueless)

It was sort of instilled in me as a boy; open doors, give up your bus/train seat, that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, doing these sort of things, doesn't always get a positive reaction.

Still, I try to be a 'gentleman' and I hope the fairer sex take the gesture in the spirit it is given:)
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being sexist, but changing a tyre can be a bit of a brute force and ignorance task.

"Changing a tyre" and "ignorance"?

Two things that shouldn't be in the same sentence. :p
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    "Changing a tyre" and "ignorance"?

Two things that shouldn't be in the same sentence. :p

:D

I didn't mean it quite like that, more that it is sort of a masculine task

I am probably coming across all 1950's here, sorry female FM's:o
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't carry an extendable wheel wrench, so as all tyres are put on with power tools, it's too hard to get the botls off in the first place with your standard wrench.
    They aren't supposed to be, for this particular reason. All wheel nuts are supposed to be "hand-tightened", so either done by hand, or if they do use a power tool, it should have some kind of limiter to prevent over-tightening. This is so that a normal person has a fighting chance of changing their own wheel at the side of the road.

However, it is fair to say a lot of lazy, corner-cutting garages will use the power tools or a burly mechanic will tighten them within an inch of their lives presenting quite a challenge for the normal, inexperienced wheel changer.

I have changed a wheel, I made a point of learning when I first passed my test, but I must admit I dread having to do it for real. I think I'd be fine if I was in a convenient location and it was light, dry and I was wearing old clothes. I should probably have another practice, but I have breakdown cover now, and so far all of my punctures have been slow, so I've been able to get away with inflating it for long enough to get to a garage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO, every car should carry one of these.
  • Options
    Katia_StormKatia_Storm Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I had a flat (at home) I called the RAC. Told them my bloke was away and I didn't know how to change the tyre. They said 'It's ok Love, We'll sort it out for you'. lol. They sorted it out about an hour later. Good service!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They took an hour to change a wheel :confused:
  • Options
    Katia_StormKatia_Storm Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They took an hour to change a wheel :confused:

lol no. They weren't parked outside at the time of calling you know! :P
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always seems to be raining whenever I get a puncture. But at least I can change a wheel and I have done it for a couple of clueless women in the past.
    What amazes me is that most people (even men!) nowadays haven't the gumption to do it, and say they would call the AA! Christ on a bike, it's not exactly hard.....
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Equality means being recognised equally for what we all do and who we all are. It's not about one sex being better than the other and anyone who thinks it is, is confusing equality with supremacy.

Or just looking for an excuse to be a lazy f***.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to ask some random bloke in a car park to change my tyre once after it exploded. :( It already had a slow puncture and I over inflated it too much. :o He was nice about it but I felt guilty since he was smartly dressed and even worse that I had no money on me to give him for his trouble. I still wouldn't be able to change a tyre now - I should learn probably.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changing a lady's tyre?

Is that a euphemism? :p
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO, every car should carry one of these.

I agree with you Bob, unfortunately, that product you linked to has a flaw.

The angle of the bar is all wrong, when you put pressure on the bar to undo the wheel nut....because the bar isn't set at 90 degrees to the wheel nuts....the bar slips off easily.

The bar needs to be bent to 90 degrees if anyone buys one of these....also don't forget to buy the correct socket to fit your wheel bolts/nuts.

I have bent several of these to the correct angle for customers of mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had one for years (and bought a new one for this car - last one stolen with the car :mad: ) and never had a problem using them.
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago now I was driving home and seen a woman pushing her bike in the rain...I pulled in to a local shop..and when I returned to my car she was just walking past....I asked here if everything was ok...she had fell off the bike...she was ok just shaken a bit...So bike went in the boot and I gave her a lift home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    It always seems to be raining whenever I get a puncture. But at least I can change a wheel and I have done it for a couple of clueless women in the past.
    What amazes me is that most people (even men!) nowadays haven't the gumption to do it, and say they would call the AA! Christ on a bike, it's not exactly hard.....

This is me. Either the AA or my wife :D
  • Options
    TerryallgoldTerryallgold Posts: 1,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice one OP I would offer my help to a lady if I came across one. I wold also offer to a man in a suit as changing a wheel is a dirty business in the wet
  • Options
    Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still, I try to be a 'gentleman' and I hope the fairer sex take the gesture in the spirit it is given:)

I expect you'll duly get a pat on the head from the ladies for being so "helplessly" gallant.

Seems you yearn for approval from women. Call me an old cynic but years of witnessing feminist strops and gibberish has knocked all that out of me.

Let women do their own wheels. They are perfectly capable. After all, if I happen to be walking down the street with a creased shirt these days I have abandoned all hope of a woman stopping me and insisting on ironing it.